Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/10/2020, 05:49 AM   #26
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodesholar View Post
All the water if it were to go down my drain has to get pumped out by my sump. All that water goes out to my septic and then out to my drain field where mother nature deals with it.
Water going down your train gets pumped by your sump? I thought a sump, other than the aquarium sump, collects ground water from around the foundation and pumps it out away from the house to prevented it from getting in the basement.
Your drain should go directly to the septic where it flows through the drain field and back to nature's ground water table.3

I also have a well but do have a city sewer system. The cost of running a well pump is typically less than the cost paid for city water and sewer system. The average family pays $70 a month for public water. This amount is based on the average person using between 80 and 100 gallons of water per day.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2020, 12:33 PM   #27
Rhodesholar
Registered Member

To clarify only my basement sink and washer drain into my sump. Everything else does drain directly out to my septic and then to the drain field. My RO unit is located in this area thus why it's easy for me to direct the waste water to my washer or to my rejection collection brute barrel.

Every time I need to use water my well pump has to run so by not wasting the rejection water I save electricity and thus money. Every time water goes out to the septic that pump has to run. Look, I am not destitute I can pay my electric bill.

To me it's just the right thing to do.

Rhodesholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2020, 06:11 PM   #28
bertoni
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Actually it is a pretty simple process. Evaporation, westerly winds, and rain return it.
In some sense, simple, maybe, but discarding water down the drain doesn't increase precipitation, and where I live in CA we often face drought conditions and restrictions, so I try not to waste fresh water.