Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/12/2013, 11:02 AM   #1
MTF7
Registered Member

Restarting a BC29

I am restarting my oceanic biocube 29 gallon and for my filtration I am planning on putting a 20 gallon sump/fuge I'll add my measurements later but I need to know if I should use a over flow box or drill my back and what should the gallon per hour be?

MTF7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2013, 01:05 PM   #2
pkirby
Registered Member

if you are going to use a sump/fuge I'd recommend drilling vs a hang on overflow box. I typically only run 300gph through my sump.

That said, I also have a BC29. I took out the bioballs and replaced the light with LED in the stock hood. I replace 5 gallons of water per weekly water change. I am not running a skimmer or any other filtration and am successfully growing Acropora/Montipora/Hammer/Frogspawn/chalice/acan.

My personal opinion with smaller tanks is your best option is water changes as opposed to having a bunch of equipment... just something to consider.

pkirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2013, 04:22 PM   #3
MTF7
Registered Member

Thanks, for the lighting I just have the stock biocube lighting on right now should I upgrade it at all or should it be okay? In my tank last time i had a RBTA, purple mushrooms, devil's hand leather coral, some xeina's and flouresent green polyps. Even though I only had the stock lighting I actually had a lot of success with it my xeina's exploded and I had the original rock that I got from my LFS and 3-4 other colony's. My FGP grew fast, the Devil's hand coral always had its feeding polyps out and the mushrooms were everywhere! My RBTA was at the top close to the lights but it was in the perfect spot for the tank. I was wondering if I could get like a HQI hood and swap it out just cause I think they look cooler but idk if that's my best option or if I think it has a little better lighting then the original BC29.

Unread 02/03/2014, 01:20 PM   #4
MTF7
Registered Member

Hello everyone! In April it will be one year since my tank has been up and running after a compleat reboot of my 29 biocube (still have a sole survivor from my last tank that got nemanuked I call him lucky I even added new hermits and he is the only one to have not disappeared)

I started pretty slow my first addition to the tank ( not including CUC), was about a month and a half I added a diamond goby some GSP just so I coul get it to start growing on my back wall. About 1 1/2 months later I added my two pride and joys snowflake clownfish which I got from petco for 60$ for the pair.

For the next month I unfortunately battled ich but easily won the battle boosting my fish's immune system a ton! As a congratulations to beating the ich I got a Sebae anemone I chose it due to the color which was amazing at the time! Shortly after I added a lawnmower blenny, unfortunately, it sadly disappeared probably the clownfish or it still could be in there for all I know it was a pretty shy fish.

My next addition to the tank was a blood red fire shrimp which was a good size but is huge now! It has molted a total of 4 times since I have put it in. The day before Christmas I added a domino damsel and a coral beauty. Sadly the CB had fin rot or something I can't remember now it and died before I could get the proper items to treat him.

I recently added a frogspawn ( with 5 heads) to my tank and some green mushrooms and the GSP is not starting to take off on the back wall.

So far everything is all good with the new corals today I have to buy some water cuz my rodi unit I keep in the garage, my spigot froze and busted so I have to get that fixed sooner rather than later but I plan on changing the water tonight and adding another coral in a couple days here maybe next Monday.

Unread 02/03/2014, 03:23 PM   #5
sfniners84
Registered Member

29 Bio

Hey there I to have a 29 bio cube that I have stock. did you ever change out the lighting?? If so what changes did you make?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTF7 View Post
Hello everyone! In April it will be one year since my tank has been up and running after a compleat reboot of my 29 biocube (still have a sole survivor from my last tank that got nemanuked I call him lucky I even added new hermits and he is the only one to have not disappeared)

I started pretty slow my first addition to the tank ( not including CUC), was about a month and a half I added a diamond goby some GSP just so I coul get it to start growing on my back wall. About 1 1/2 months later I added my two pride and joys snowflake clownfish which I got from petco for 60$ for the pair.

For the next month I unfortunately battled ich but easily won the battle boosting my fish's immune system a ton! As a congratulations to beating the ich I got a Sebae anemone I chose it due to the color which was amazing at the time! Shortly after I added a lawnmower blenny, unfortunately, it sadly disappeared probably the clownfish or it still could be in there for all I know it was a pretty shy fish.

My next addition to the tank was a blood red fire shrimp which was a good size but is huge now! It has molted a total of 4 times since I have put it in. The day before Christmas I added a domino damsel and a coral beauty. Sadly the CB had fin rot or something I can't remember now it and died before I could get the proper items to treat him.

I recently added a frogspawn ( with 5 heads) to my tank and some green mushrooms and the GSP is not starting to take off on the back wall.

So far everything is all good with the new corals today I have to buy some water cuz my rodi unit I keep in the garage, my spigot froze and busted so I have to get that fixed sooner rather than later but I plan on changing the water tonight and adding another coral in a couple days here maybe next Monday.

sfniners84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2014, 01:43 PM   #6
MTF7
Registered Member

@sfniners84 yes I did if you have the budget then I would highly recommend looking ion the RapidLED I chose the more expensive one where no soldering is required and it is dimmable, I highly suggest that you get the dimmable if you know how to solder more than me ( I can but I don't like to) then you can save some money in that department. I went with 12/12 cool white and royal blue. also don't do just rows I did and I'm thinking about changing them around cuz one side is bluer and the other side is whiter but I highly recommend the LED's

Unread 02/04/2014, 01:51 PM   #7
sfniners84
Registered Member

Ok, how much did they run you?? Also how would I save money by going that route? ?

Unread 02/04/2014, 10:33 PM   #8
MTF7
Registered Member

I'm not sure what you mean by run me but I'll take a guess that you want cost. It cost me about $320 for the dimmable solderless and p- something dimmer. If you can solder it will save you about $35 but there is a chance you could mess up solderless was really easy to setup. In my honest opinion the dimmer is the best way to go and the $320 I spent for the LEDs are the best money I have spent for my tank. For how much less heat they give off which means less evaporation, they also last a fairly Long time before I will have to change them.

Unread 02/05/2014, 12:08 PM   #9
sfniners84
Registered Member

Ok thanks for advice.. Right now I dont really get much evaporation due to the hood being on. and same with temp. Its stays a constant 80. I am curious how it will be during the summer months.

Unread 02/05/2014, 02:16 PM   #10
MTF7
Registered Member

Well that's true with the evaporation with the hood and the original lights but with the retro fit kit you keep the hood and it just screws into the hood itself, and I didn't have much evaporation with the old lights either but you will be surprised how much less the leds cause. I fill up my back 2nd chamber pretty high and before I would have to top off every 3-5 days now it's ever 1-3 weeks depending on how high I want the water level to be. When I got my leds I didn't have a thermometer and didn't get one until October last year and my temp was around 72-73 with the lights on and not much change at night 70-72 but I did end up throwing a small heater in there just to stabilize it and it is up to 76 I only have on rated for a 10 gallo tank in the 1st chamber but it is good enough for now it probably will be up to 78-80 during the summer for me because right now in STL it has been pretty cold out and my tank is right next to window and it's pretty cool in my room

Tags
bc29, diy, rebuild, refugium, saltwater