Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/26/2014, 07:43 AM   #1
ThisGuy12
Registered Member

Does this Clown look okay?

Maybe I'm just a bit paranoid since these are my first two saltwater fish (2) Percula Clownfish. This little guy swam around for the first couple of hours in the tank with it's buddy, then he went to the top near a pump return line and has swam around there since.

His buddy on the other hand was swimming around the tank and decided he would hide amongst my rocks.

Is this normal behavior?

Pictures:

Clown in question (couldn't get a pic of the other because he's behind the rocks)
[IMG]http://i59.*******.com/33palvq.jpg[/IMG]

Here's what they both looked like when they were first introduced to the tank, swimming around, enjoying it.
[IMG]http://i62.*******.com/10msom1.jpg[/IMG]

And rather than starting a new thread, how does this Frogspawn look to you guys? LFS gave it to me for free said to give it a shot considering my water parameters were in check (see below). He was opened up fully within 2 hours of being in the tank, seemed to like where he was. Closed up slightly before I took the pic because I think I bumped the tank accidentally. I mounted him to a small rock to be able to move him around if necessary.
[IMG]http://i58.*******.com/invqd2.jpg[/IMG]

Thoughts? Comments much appreciated

Tank Parameters for those who will ask:
Size: 28gal bowfront
pH: 8.4
Salinity: 1.0245
Ammonia: 0.0
Nitrites: 0.0
Nitrates: 0.0
Alk: 8dKH
Calc: 680
Mag: 1280
Temp: 80F
Lighting - T5 (4) bulb fixture with 6500k and 10,000k bulbs and moonlight LEDs
Tank Age: 8 weeks

Flow is good, but not overbearing, changes over around 5 times/hour through the 20gal high sump and biofiltration.

ThisGuy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2014, 08:50 AM   #2
greech
Registered Member

All look healthy and that behavior is very normal for a clown (especially one just introduced to a tank).

Current Tank Info: Tank: 40 breeder; 20H sump w/SWC 120; Sicce 3.0 return; Vortech MP-10; Sundial T5, DIY Actinic LED (3W Cree). Livestock: Pair of Black & Whites; Midas Blenny; Firefish; Yasha/pistol; Black Leopard Wrasse; LPS and SPS
greech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2014, 08:57 AM   #3
Jpugh73
Registered Member

Your cal is off the charts going to need to get that around 400. How old is the tank. The clown look ok Imo

Jpugh73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2014, 09:14 AM   #4
johnpasternak
Registered Member

What was your tank cycle process

johnpasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2014, 09:15 AM   #5
ThisGuy12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpugh73 View Post
Your cal is off the charts going to need to get that around 400. How old is the tank. The clown look ok Imo
Tanks is 8 weeks old (shown in original post). Also, very interesting that you would say that, while I have read mixed opinions on the subject some conclude that my levels of calcium are fine and will drop once the livestock is introduced. I am in the process of dropping it slowly though, it was up at 750 a short while back, it's already dropped quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greech View Post
All look healthy and that behavior is very normal for a clown (especially one just introduced to a tank).
Thanks for the re-assurance like I said I'm pretty sure I'm just being paranoid, but I'd rather get other opinions before I freak out and do something wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpasternak View Post
What was your tank cycle process
Cycled with live rock from an established tank at my LFS, dry deep sand bed in sump (4"), added jars of live sand from 3 different people in my second week, raw shrimp (3-4 days to decay), cleaning crew (snails, and blue legged hermit crabs) were introduced at week 5 of the cycle, ammonia/nitrites/nitrates have been 0 for almost 2 weeks now. The DT has a 1" bed of live sand, dry red sea rock, and 2 pieces of live rock transferred from my fuge in my sump. Diatom blooms were present 3rd week, asterina starfish showed up to help cleanup sometime during the 4th week.

Last edited by ThisGuy12; 03/26/2014 at 09:22 AM.
ThisGuy12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clownfish, frogspawn, new tank, percula, saltwater