Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/12/2019, 10:08 AM   #1
shellsea
Registered Member

WAV Pump & 1 Link

Any feedback from WAV users on their use and dependability?
The last upgrade to my tank before retirement may be powerheads.
running 2 Jebo #9 and one Tunze 6095 old model. I have another 6095 sitting on the shelve in the garage that gave me continuous problems which is rare for Tunze but i am still considering add 2 more of the new 6095's. Price point not that far off from WAV.

Are you WAV guys happy?

Unread 08/12/2019, 08:29 PM   #2
radiata
Registered Member

I hope you already have the Apex - your equipment lists an Archon Controller.

Current Tank Info: Multiple - 600+ Net Gallons
radiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2019, 06:35 AM   #3
shellsea
Registered Member

I do have the Apex. I made the switch in February, not long after DA went out of business and I am glad I did! LOVE the Apex compared to the other.

Unread 08/13/2019, 11:24 AM   #4
radiata
Registered Member

I have mixed feelings on the WAV pumps. I have four in my 180DT. Most people would need only two, but I have a lot of rock work. I also have two Apex-controlled Sicce XTREAM-Es (1st edition) and a Tunze 6045 in the DT.

The WAVs work reasonably well. Just don't buy a used one. I do have concerns about their usable longevity - I have more than one dead one. Don't buy a used 1LINK either - I have one permanently stuck on earlier firmware.

Sometimes the pump's internal sensor fails in one of my pumps, indicating the pump has moved when it hasn't. The pump is a little over-engineered in my opinion - Flow? RPM? Temperature? Worst part is that all that is encased in the pump's motor block, and when the motor block needs to be replaced you can't buy a replacement, you need to buy a whole new pump.

The positioning functionality of the pump is limited, but there is a 3D-printed extension available.

If you have small fish, you should seriously consider putting some screening over a WAV. There's an unpleasant video out there of a Fridmani getting sucked into the pump.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd give serious consideration to using Tunze's Stream 3s. Parts are readily available. The five year warranty is unbeatable in the hobby. Even Sicce and Reef Octopus pumps beat Apex's one year warranty. I love Tunze equipment, but I'm not sure about their 6095s.

If you go the WAV route, you can usually get 10% off Apex products at big shows like RAP and MACNA. (Going to Orlando?) If you go the Tunze route, you can frequently get 15% off during on-line sales. I guess Labor Day might bring on the next ones.

There are other Apex-controlled pump options. I've only used the Jebao link with PP15s and wasn't craze about it.

Happy WAVing!

Current Tank Info: Multiple - 600+ Net Gallons
radiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2019, 08:43 AM   #5
shellsea
Registered Member

Thanks radiata. Good review.