Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/25/2020, 12:11 PM   #1
Reef This
Premium Member

PITA brown algae!

I'm not really new to the hobby, but this is something I've never really experienced before.

I added this little 13.5G Fluval tank to my home, in addition to the 120G reef thats been going for about 7 years now. I bought 4 clownfish, all tank raised to add to the 120, and they did not get a long, so I moved 2 of them to the 13.5 That's all the fish in the tank.

Hannah says PO4 is 0.
Red Sea said no ammonia or nitrite - nitrates are undetectable with 2 different tests - Red sea and API. pH 8.1. Temp around 79.

I run fluval sponge, water polishing, both cleaned almost every day, every other at the worst. Seachem Matrix. Chemi Pure Blue and Purigen changed every month.

Lighting is an AI HD prime 16. 10 hours total time, ramp up and ramp down. I had 2 extra Ecotech Versa pumps I did not end up using, they perform a 1.5G water change every Sunday, using the same water source as the 120 which does not have the algae problem.

I cannot get rid of this stuff, it's brown, sometimes can almost look look like it's almost furry looking on the rock. The other day I could see it sitting on top of the water when the power was turned off for electrical work in the house..

Any ideas? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Unread 05/25/2020, 09:37 PM   #2
sarahluccia
Registered Member

My only possible guesses are overfeeding, dirty socks, leftover carbon bags?
I've been told lighting can affect that sort of thing too- I use an AI lamp, what settings are yours on?

Other than that I'd just get a toothbrush and a siphon and start scrubbing. I helped take care of a 300 tank at school, we had brown furry and hairy algae issues on and off.
Also, maybe provide a pic?

sarahluccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2020, 09:41 PM   #3
sarahluccia
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahluccia View Post
My only possible guesses are overfeeding, dirty socks, leftover carbon bags?
I've been told lighting can affect that sort of thing too- I use an AI lamp, what settings are yours on?

Other than that I'd just get a toothbrush and a siphon and start scrubbing. I helped take care of a 300 tank at school, we had brown furry and hairy algae issues on and off.
Also, maybe provide a pic?
another note- could just be random diatoms? i watched a BRS vid the other day that recommended this product https://store.drtimsaquatics.com/waste-away.html for pesky algae. heres the vid

hope that helps too!!

sarahluccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2020, 09:58 AM   #4
Monkeyfish
Registered Member

Where did the rock in the small tank come from? You may have imported your trouble. A pic would help with ID. Is it algae, diatoms... ?

"One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not."

Current Tank Info: Taking a break
Monkeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2020, 09:35 PM   #5
|2AIN
Registered Member

Without seeing your tank I believe you have Dinoflagellates. The 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates cause this.

Check out this video - https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video...de-ep27-dinos/

|2AIN is offline   Reply With Quote