Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/19/2017, 12:13 PM   #1
MMacro
Registered Member

Regal angel

I bought an indian ocean regal a week or so ago and have it in quarantine right now. She has developed some white blotches on her fins. My guess is fungus, but need some more experienced answers. I tried doing a paraguard dip but it did not help. Her behavior is normal and she is still eating nutramar ova well. Here are some pictures of the disease on her caudal fin. I will try to get some clearer/brighter pictures tonight.

[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 05/19/2017, 01:32 PM   #2
scooter31707
Registered Member

How long have they been there. Do they move or fall off.? At this stage it could be anything from ich, to velvet, to flukes, to lympho.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2017, 03:17 PM   #3
MMacro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter31707 View Post
How long have they been there. Do they move or fall off.? At this stage it could be anything from ich, to velvet, to flukes, to lympho.
Its been there for about 3 days now. No movement.

Unread 05/19/2017, 03:58 PM   #4
ThRoewer
Registered Member

If the white blotches are stationary, look like little cauliflowers and are composed of little spheres then it's Lymphocystis. It's a virus infection due to a compromised immune system. Generally it goes away on its own if the fish is fed well, not overly stressed and in water of decent quality.

If the white blotches are flat, smooth and possibly also change location then you are dealing with Capsalidae (skin flukes). Hyposalinity and/or PraziPro should kill these.

For Cryptocaryon the spot seems to be too large.

That Regal looks pretty skinny to me. So you may want to get it eating well before starting blind treatments. I would lower the salinity to 1.020 or even to 1.016 as a measure of stress reduction and to help the fish preserve energy.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2017, 04:22 PM   #5
MMacro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
If the white blotches are stationary, look like little cauliflowers and are composed of little spheres then it's Lymphocystis. It's a virus infection due to a compromised immune system. Generally it goes away on its own if the fish is fed well, not overly stressed and in water of decent quality.

If the white blotches are flat, smooth and possibly also change location then you are dealing with Capsalidae (skin flukes). Hyposalinity and/or PraziPro should kill these.

For Cryptocaryon the spot seems to be too large.

That Regal looks pretty skinny to me. So you may want to get it eating well before starting blind treatments. I would lower the salinity to 1.020 or even to 1.016 as a measure of stress reduction and to help the fish preserve energy.

Thanks!
She is pretty skinny. She looked worse when she first came in but I managed to fatten her up a tiny bit. At the moment she is only eating ova. Ive tried LRS, bbs, pods, pellet, mysis, cyclopeeze, gracilaria, ulva, nori, etc. Any ideas on what else to try?
Ill start lowering the salinity tonight.

Unread 05/19/2017, 05:03 PM   #6
JustinM
Registered Member

Have you tried live clam on the half shell? That's all mine would eat for the first month. Now he destroys them in minutes.

Angels are very prone to flukes so prazipro IMO should be administered on all new arrivals. Regals tend to also not eat if they are ill.

I think it looks like lympho like theroewer has mentioned.

Last edited by JustinM; 05/19/2017 at 05:09 PM.
JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2017, 12:11 PM   #7
ThRoewer
Registered Member

If the fish eats and gains weight I would just continue feeding it what it eats. You can try other foods, but I wouldn't stress too much over it. A skinny Regal may take months to get back to normal weight.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 05/20/2017, 08:12 PM   #8
MMacro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshocker View Post
Have you tried live clam on the half shell? That's all mine would eat for the first month. Now he destroys them in minutes.

Angels are very prone to flukes so prazipro IMO should be administered on all new arrivals. Regals tend to also not eat if they are ill.

I think it looks like lympho like theroewer has mentioned.
Ill pick up some clam tomorrow to see if she goes after that. Ill do another round of prazi tonight.

Quote:
If the fish eats and gains weight I would just continue feeding it what it eats. You can try other foods, but I wouldn't stress too much over it. A skinny Regal may take months to get back to normal weight.

Ok, ill continue feeding ova.
Seeing that lymph is not too deadly would it be safe to add it to my main display or display fuge once the ttm is over seeing that my dt water would be cleaner than the quarantine tank water.
Thanks!

Last edited by MMacro; 05/20/2017 at 09:10 PM.
MMacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2017, 01:16 PM   #9
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Lymphocystis strains seem to be highly specific in which fish families or even species they target. So unless you have other angels in there it is unlikely that any of the other fish gets it. And even if this particular strain could infect other fish in your tank, those would generally need to have a compromised immune system for Lymphocystis to have a chance to infect them.

Unread 05/21/2017, 07:22 PM   #10
MMacro
Registered Member

Quote:
Lymphocystis strains seem to be highly specific in which fish families or even species they target. So unless you have other angels in there it is unlikely that any of the other fish gets it. And even if this particular strain could infect other fish in your tank, those would generally need to have a compromised immune system for Lymphocystis to have a chance to infect them.

No other angels in the tank. She will be the biggest fish. Ill transfer her tonight.
Thanks!