Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Southwest Tank And Reef Society (STARS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/07/2010, 04:20 AM   #1
ahlebik
Registered Member

Flashlight at night

Came across this fella. I have only seen the one Stomatella and only just now.

The frogspawn at night. Can actually see little heads there that are normally covered up. Also is the big baggy translucent areas at the branches normal? Something its always had there and on the top stalk so guess its not something that bad.

Worm thats hard to take a picture of... all brown.

Blood red fan worm?

Whatever this is... Its flat and the end is lined by hairs. It has doubled in size in the last 2 months. The whole thing is soft and will wave with the current. Thought it was a sponge at first.

Either the flash or something walked across the hairy mushroom.

ahlebik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2010, 04:34 AM   #2
ahlebik
Registered Member

Ok going to bed...

Black and white worm on the rock above the mushroom, seen two now.

Saw a larger one of these (bristle worm?) but with a shiny green body and same red head area. I could be just crazy and hopped up on mtn dew at 3am tho.

Unread 06/07/2010, 04:42 AM   #3
ahlebik
Registered Member

Hmmm just now noticed a worm in the top left of the last two pics.

When I get the camera out I pick up on more things thats for sure. need to pull out the old army flashlight for the red lense.

My pod population I would rate at night is in the swarm lvl... Seen the leopard wrasse pick out some large ones from around my clam during the day.

See some very very very thin tree like structures in the caves of my rocks. Can see one really well in the pics of the red fanworm down and to the right if thats what it is.

The funny thing about research is what you find online is never exactly the same as what your looking at

Since the duncan isnt out at night can see that its has a few more heads on the way too.

Unread 06/07/2010, 06:23 AM   #4
nmnative
Registered Member

Neat pictures. I have always been a little scared to see what crawling and slithering around my tank once the lights go off. Thanks for sharing!

nmnative is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2010, 12:17 PM   #5
deehz
Registered Member

Bristle worm. Hard to tell though but I saw his "spiny feet" in one of the pics. They aren't bad. Just try to control them and keep an eye out for them, they can multiply real fast under the right conditions. Nice pics.
Thanks!

There is a sufficiency in the world for man's need but not for man's greed. ~Mohandas K. Gandhi
deehz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2010, 12:40 PM   #6
ahlebik
Registered Member

I didnt post the picture but I should have. Saw some green bubble algae with the flashlight. Now that im looking with the lights on I never would have caught it otherwise.

Unread 06/07/2010, 09:16 PM   #7
strayvoltage
Registered Member

All great pisc, thanks for sharing. It is amazing what can be seen after the lights go out. If you really want to see things, get yourself a big magnifying glass and have a look at night with your red flash light. You won't believe half thee stuff you find then.

strayvoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2010, 09:35 PM   #8
Jay508
STARS Vice President

Its really neat how tanks take on a whole new persona at night. Critters/ fish/ inverts/ corals all seem to take "shifts". Just like the real world though, night time is a bit more perplexing and really brings out the "weirdos".

Night time is when I lurk.......

Current Tank Info: One great big empty tank sitting in a room, one smaller tank (with water) in the corner of a room........
Jay508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2010, 10:45 PM   #9
strayvoltage
Registered Member

Night time is when I lurk....... no way, not you Jay!

Unread 06/07/2010, 11:16 PM   #10
Jay508
STARS Vice President

Quote:
Originally Posted by strayvoltage View Post
Night time is when I lurk....... no way, not you Jay!
just when you think you know someone......

Current Tank Info: One great big empty tank sitting in a room, one smaller tank (with water) in the corner of a room........
Unread 06/07/2010, 11:29 PM   #11
strayvoltage
Registered Member

Wow I had no idea

Unread 06/07/2010, 11:55 PM   #12
Jay508
STARS Vice President

Unread 06/08/2010, 09:19 PM   #13
nmnative
Registered Member

Lurking around on forums late at night....almost as creepy as the critters in ahlebik's tank!!!

nmnative is offline   Reply With Quote