Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/10/2013, 09:34 PM   #26
iced98lx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porksmash View Post
Your posts have turned me on to the netduino. I've been working on and off with an Arduino for a while now but have been frustrated with it as of late (mostly Ethernet shield woes). I have one request, though. Can you re-link the product on amazon you were going to use to control outlets? The links in your first post are all non-working.
Sorry about that, copy/paste from another forum me thinks is the culprit.

This is the sainsmart relay module I grabbed:

http://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-8-Ch.../dp/B0057OC5WK

They have 2/4/6/8 channel versions. for $12 I figured if I didn't use them all I wouldn't feel bad.

The thrifty could make their own, or not use a PCB or ..... I save money where I think it makes sense and leave some of the other things to those who are smarter than I.

To give you an idea, I grabbed a 1wire library that uses the native 1 wire stuff in .netmf, as well as a DS18B20 library for the temp sensor, and with this litttle snipit I'm setting the onboard clock via NTP and testing temp every 3 seconds lighting the onboard LED in case of out of range:

Code:
using System;
using System.Threading;
using Toolbox.NETMF.NET;
using Microsoft.SPOT;
using Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.Netduino;

namespace Hello_World
{
    public class Program
    {
        private readonly SNTP_Client TimeClient = new SNTP_Client(new IntegratedSocket("time-a.nist.gov", 123));
        OutputPort led = new OutputPort(Pins.ONBOARD_LED, false);
        DS18B20 t = new DS18B20(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D0);
        public void checkTemp()
        {
            try
            {

var temp = t.ConvertAndReadTemperature();
                temp = temp / 5 * 9 + 32;
                Debug.Print("At " + System.DateTime.Now.TimeOfDay + " It is " + temp + " in the Biocube.");
                //t.Dispose();
                if (temp > 80 || temp < 77)
                {
                    led.Write(true);
                }
                //Debug.Print("Memory available: " + Debug.GC(true));
            }
            catch (Exception ex)
            {
                Debug.Print("Error Caught Getting Temp");
            }
        }
        public void syncTime()
        {
            TimeClient.Synchronize();
        }
        public static void Main()
        {
            // dont write code here
            Program program = new Program();
            program.TimeClient.Synchronize();
            while (true)
            {
                program.checkTemp();
                Thread.Sleep(1000*3);
            }
        }

}
}
It's pretty easy stuff, really. I can go into wiring details as well if needed. It was sort of a hard thing to get over for me personally. I'm more of a coder less of a micro-controller whiz.

The above code leaves about 96KB of the 100KB I've got to work with free.

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2013, 02:43 PM   #27
porksmash
Registered Member

double post

Last edited by porksmash; 01/11/2013 at 03:19 PM.
porksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2013, 02:44 PM   #28
porksmash
Registered Member

Ah ok. That looks incredibly similar if not identical to the relay module I have now. I was hoping you found a magic relay board that worked over some sort of communication interface instead of requiring a digital output for each relay. Have you worked out how you're going to fit all that onto the netduino? The I/O count is pretty limited and seems to be filling up fast. I know the atlas scientific modules will require a serial port each, 8 digital outs for the relays, then all the float switches and things. The LEDs are all on a separate board, but do you have any plans for digital I/O expanders?

I've also been looking into the reef angel module for controlling my VorTechs and Radion, and I dug into the schematics enough to determine that the RF module (the EcoTech one, not the reef angel box) just communicates over serial. I wasn't able to find the software that actually resides on the reef angel module, though, so the HOW of talking to it is still a mystery to me. I haven't looked into this for a while, though.

Last edited by porksmash; 01/11/2013 at 02:52 PM.
porksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2013, 04:08 PM   #29
rrasco
Registered Member

Subbed.

I was going to go with the netduino, but I wanted WiFi so I didn't have to run a drop to my reef room, thus I opted for a LinkSprite DiamondBack. A little pricier ($90), but it is an arduino duemilanove clone with wifi baked onto the board.

I picked up this sainsmart relay board last year to control these outlets:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o05_s00_i01
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o05_s00_i00

I only have two PWM channels so I don't need any expansion there, but I do need more GPIO pins for relays and sensors, so I chose these for that:

http://adafruit.com/products/732

Thanks for linking the PWM expander, didn't realize adafruit had those or I would have picked some up in my last order.

Now I just need to get off my lazy butt and start working on it.

O2, I have a pretty solid sketch I use for my lighting, fairly lightweight and easy to modify. It's capable of supporting multiple strings of each color, but I only use one for each. It's a modified version of something I found here on RC. I can help you get going with it if you are interested. You basically just have to set your PWM pins, max values, as well as start and run durations.

Unread 01/17/2013, 08:31 PM   #30
iced98lx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porksmash View Post
Ah ok. That looks incredibly similar if not identical to the relay module I have now. I was hoping you found a magic relay board that worked over some sort of communication interface instead of requiring a digital output for each relay. Have you worked out how you're going to fit all that onto the netduino? The I/O count is pretty limited and seems to be filling up fast. I know the atlas scientific modules will require a serial port each, 8 digital outs for the relays, then all the float switches and things. The LEDs are all on a separate board, but do you have any plans for digital I/O expanders?

I've also been looking into the reef angel module for controlling my VorTechs and Radion, and I dug into the schematics enough to determine that the RF module (the EcoTech one, not the reef angel box) just communicates over serial. I wasn't able to find the software that actually resides on the reef angel module, though, so the HOW of talking to it is still a mystery to me. I haven't looked into this for a while, though.
Sorry, there is a ton of I2C chips out there to provide more inputs/outputs though such as the one RRasco linked, that should give you enough I/O. I doubt I'll use all 8 relays, but if I run out, I'll add some more through i2c.

I will likely use the reefangel module for my Vortechs that I do not yet own. There are sketches on the RA forum for it, if you dig a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrasco View Post
Subbed.

I was going to go with the netduino, but I wanted WiFi so I didn't have to run a drop to my reef room, thus I opted for a LinkSprite DiamondBack. A little pricier ($90), but it is an arduino duemilanove clone with wifi baked onto the board.

I picked up this sainsmart relay board last year to control these outlets:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o05_s00_i01
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o05_s00_i00

I only have two PWM channels so I don't need any expansion there, but I do need more GPIO pins for relays and sensors, so I chose these for that:

http://adafruit.com/products/732

Thanks for linking the PWM expander, didn't realize adafruit had those or I would have picked some up in my last order.

Now I just need to get off my lazy butt and start working on it.

O2, I have a pretty solid sketch I use for my lighting, fairly lightweight and easy to modify. It's capable of supporting multiple strings of each color, but I only use one for each. It's a modified version of something I found here on RC. I can help you get going with it if you are interested. You basically just have to set your PWM pins, max values, as well as start and run durations.
I'm all about wired vs wireless, but I envy the computing power arduino buys you. I do get event handlers, though

I have book marked the GPIO board, thanks for that, it looks very useful if I wanted to run all 8 of my relays off one chip. I'm waffling on the power strip that I'll use with the relays, I have a couple possibilities, including the one you linked. Now I just need to read and see which hookup leaves me in "default off" vs "default on" and get to playing!

Too much real work right now but here is a hint at what I've been up to as well:

Unread 01/17/2013, 09:15 PM   #31
iced98lx
Registered Member

Soldered up my PWM controller. I'm out of practice, that's all I can say.

Unread 01/22/2013, 11:53 AM   #32
iced98lx
Registered Member

LED has arrived, waiting on some screw terminals now..

Unread 01/23/2013, 10:11 PM   #33
iced98lx
Registered Member

My screw terminals will hopefully arrive tomorrow, also arriving tomorrow is my power strip for my relay setup.

Unread 01/24/2013, 10:47 AM   #34
rrasco
Registered Member

Don't you hate waiting for parts!?!?!

Unread 01/24/2013, 11:01 AM   #35
O2Surplus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrasco View Post
Don't you hate waiting for parts!?!?!
I actually kinda like the wait. It's sort of like waiting for Christmas morning when you were just a kid. You counted the days until it came, and then were bummed after realizing that it would be another 365 till it came again. Now I can order stuff while I'm at work, and thanks to "online tracking", I can schedule that "Christmas morning" feeling whenever I want. LOL

O2Surplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2013, 01:01 PM   #36
iced98lx
Registered Member

Yea it's good for me to have to wait. I have too many other things to do in the mean time. If everything were here NOW I'd take a couple days off work and .... you get the picture.

Unread 01/24/2013, 01:02 PM   #37
iced98lx
Registered Member

Oh and my power bar came today. Haven't torn into it but looks like it'll work nicely.

Unread 01/24/2013, 01:35 PM   #38
rrasco
Registered Member

I just hate waiting on that one part that is holding up a build. Of course, I say that and I've had all the parts for my new controller for about 2 months now and have not started.

Unread 01/28/2013, 03:40 PM   #39
iced98lx
Registered Member

ooohhh yeaa.

Unread 01/28/2013, 04:24 PM   #40
iced98lx
Registered Member

Unread 01/28/2013, 04:31 PM   #41
megadeth72
Registered Member

are you getting good separation on each channel? can you take a close up of the led?

megadeth72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2013, 04:36 PM   #42
iced98lx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadeth72 View Post
are you getting good separation on each channel? can you take a close up of the led?
I've only lit one channel up so far, so I can't comment to "Separation". I did take this picture, overloading my sensor on my camera, to make sure only the channel I had on was lit up, this is at 100% power for that string:

Here is the best I can do for closeup until I have something handy other than my phone.

Unread 01/30/2013, 08:52 PM   #43
iced98lx
Registered Member

Small setback, an improperly secured ground wire did a little damage, fried one driver , so instead of the pretty dimming and alternating light show video I was getting ready to film I'm ordering parts.

A low blow on a day like today but a valuable lesson. I ordered the rest of the stuff that I need to shore up the wiring side for the light so that the next time I fire everything up nothing goes wrong. First night in a long time I've had the opportunity to work on it too

Unread 02/03/2013, 10:28 AM   #44
iced98lx
Registered Member

Video of 3 channels of dimming

Unread 02/04/2013, 03:20 AM   #45
burnah
Registered Member

subscribed, this is exactly what i want to do!

thanks, martin

burnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2013, 01:53 PM   #46
iced98lx
Registered Member

Thanks man, things are looking good, working on getting the chip more securely mounted on a new heatsink and fan combo right now so I can get it up over the tank and take a look at the coloration we've got and start on a scheduler for the controller.

Unread 02/04/2013, 03:56 PM   #47
megadeth72
Registered Member

the layout on your chip is different from the dreamchip, it has 5 channels with 2 banks of led per channel

is that center led channel the 420nm?

megadeth72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2013, 04:08 PM   #48
iced98lx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadeth72 View Post
the layout on your chip is different from the dreamchip, it has 5 channels with 2 banks of led per channel

is that center led channel the 420nm?
Correct, and Correct. The 420nm channel is just 1 string of 5 vs 2. I am driving the 420nm with a 350ma driver, vs the 700's on the other channels.

Last edited by iced98lx; 02/04/2013 at 04:26 PM.
Unread 02/20/2013, 11:12 PM   #49
KRavEN
Registered Member

Just found this thread. I made my own LED drivers that use the PCA9685 and wrote an arduino library for them. I've recently gotten interested in the netduino and got a N+2. Do you have your code on github or anywhere else? I would be interested in working on the code with you to add support for the PCA9685 to the netduino.

I currently have 24 channels of LED's running off 4 PCA9685 based driver boards. I need to get the dusk/dawn and moonlight programming done. Would also like to add cloud and storm support too.

I'm waiting on parts for 2 more led fixtures so I'll be adding at least 12 more channels soon.

KRavEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2013, 12:01 PM   #50
iced98lx
Registered Member

@KRavEN

http://forums.netduino.com/index.php...-pwms/?p=37047

keep me up to date on your progress and uses, the netduino is fantastic!