Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/03/2015, 06:20 PM   #1
SoloChromis
Registered Member

New Low-Tech Macro Tank!

Decided to join together all my excess fish junk and create a low-tech, relatively self sufficient semi-reef tank. Right now, all of my livestock from my 120g are in the 75g temporarily while I redo their tank, but after they head back home I'll be turning the holding tank into it's own little ecosystem.

Filtration : Hagen Aquaclear HOB filter (rated for 125g)... May eventually hook up a Coralife Super Skimmer I have laying around, but would rather not have to, as it's fairly noisy (especially due to the fact that it would be hanging off the back of the tank) and the tank is located in my bedroom.

Flow : Koralia Magnum & Koralia Evolution pumps

Lighting : Coralife Aqualight 4 bulb T5 fixture

Substrate : Decided to go bare-bottom with this tank, to make maintenance easier and just to try something new (may opt to add sand later, but who knows).

Live Rock : Roughly 40 lbs of excess live rock I had cluttering my 120's sump/refugium.

Fish :
1x Bleeker's Damsel (proved to be too aggressive for the 120g during it's quarantine period)

2x Turnate Damsels (hopefully they spawn)

1x Ochrestriped/Flame Cardinal. Haven't decided which yet. Both I have always liked, but both I fear would prey upon my shrimp in my 120g.

2x Orange Skunk/Midnight Ocellaris/Domino Ocellaris Clowns. Again, haven't decided which I'm gonna go with yet, but due to the orange skunks being the most affordable for me right now, I will most likely end up with a pair of that species.

1x Talbot's Damsel (depends on how aggressive he appears to be in quarantine)

1x Pink Smith Damsel (same as above)

Inverts :

3x Emerald Crabs

10x Assorted Hermit Crabs

Various Feather Dusters

Coral :

- Green Star Polyps

- Misc. Xenia

- A couple photosynthetic gorgonians

Plants/Algae :

- Cheato Morpha

- Caleurpa Prolifera

- Blue Hypnea

- Dragon's Breath

- Red Mangroves

- Halimeda

- Misc. Kelp

As far as maintenance I will most likely be performing 10% water changes monthly, and that should just about be it. I'll be keeping you guys updated and be posting pictures as soon as I start setting up. Thanks for reading

Current Tank Info: 60g Caribbean-esque Reef (2'x2'x2'), 10g Quarantine
SoloChromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2015, 09:15 PM   #2
jonwright
Registered Member

Sounds neat. I think for this setup the challenge would be what equipment you could remove. I.e. make every effort not to run the skimmer as you say, and then, see if you could replace the HOB with a powerhead.

Having a successful tank without the tubes and such denoting a science experiment is really interesting to me.

jonwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2015, 09:35 PM   #3
SoloChromis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwright View Post
Sounds neat. I think for this setup the challenge would be what equipment you could remove. I.e. make every effort not to run the skimmer as you say, and then, see if you could replace the HOB with a powerhead.

Having a successful tank without the tubes and such denoting a science experiment is really interesting to me.
I'm honestly only running the HOB filter for extra aeration, as well at to hold any activated carbon I decide to run. The powerheads in the tank will take care of flow, and the sound level is almost nothing with this filter, so I have no problem putting it to some use (I believe I paid $80 for it originally and never even installed it ). I too am excited to experiment with this tank

Current Tank Info: 60g Caribbean-esque Reef (2'x2'x2'), 10g Quarantine
SoloChromis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low tech, macro algae, new tank