Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > EcoTech Marine
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/24/2017, 02:51 PM   #1
tnias
Registered Member

Vectra Keeps Failing

I want to first say that EcoTech Marine has been awesome on customer service and have replaced my pump 4-5 times in the past year without ever arguing about the warranty.

However, the last 2 pumps have failed within 2-3 weeks. Completely seized up on the impeller side after taking it apart. I have not read any threads about others having pumps fail and certainly not as frequent as I have. Has anyone experienced similar issues? Their techs have not had others with this many problems and hoping to help solve the problem as a community.

The pump is submerged in the sump, it travels about 5 feet vertical from the floor to the tank. I does Cal, Alk, and Vodka. Other than the pump the tank has great growth and no other problems. My skimmer pump has been running solid for 2+ years and I have an internal pump in the first chamber that circulates the water has also been running without any issues.

I want to reiterate that Ecotech has been great in replacing the pump each time. Kudos to standing behind their products!

tnias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 05:34 PM   #2
luisagos
Registered Member

From what I gathered from your post. I would need more information.
The Vectra is being hit by your dosing too soon.
Your skimmer is on the last part of the system, hence why it will not have problem.

1) Dose way before it hits the pump so its mixes better.
2) Do smaller doses, but more frequent to make your daily value.
3) Get a different pump, one does not get effected by chemicals.

I love my Iwaki Japanese pump, they are design for hash chemicals and they will run 15 plus years.
FYI, I am big fan of Ecotech, I have like $3k invested.

luisagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2017, 11:13 AM   #3
tnias
Registered Member

I do dose several times a day via my apex because all at once would be bad for the PH level. Right now I dose in an upper 30 gallon sump and then it drains to another 30 gallon sump. The upper sump has a circulating pump to keep the Cal and Alk from piling on the bottom of the sump and the skimmer is in the upper sump. The return pump is all that is in the lower sump.

I could either move the dosing to the main tank directly or the overflow box to get it farther away from the return pump. While my preference is not to buy another pump how noisy are the Iwaki's because the vectra is not noticeable?

tnias is offline   Reply With Quote