Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/28/2017, 06:32 PM   #1
SpikeDangles
Registered Member

Frag tank filtration??

I am setting up a 10gallon tank as a frag tank/ coral quarantine. I'm going to buy a few frags at a time, QT and observe while they grow out, then add to display if everything is good.

This tank is going to be separate from the display and I was planning to add some snails and one small fish. I have a Jebao pp4 for water flow and I'm using mars hydro led for lighting.

My question is, what kind of filtration is needed here if I'm going to do 10-15% weekly water changes? Space is limited so I was hoping a simple hang on filter would suffice. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpikeDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2017, 07:18 PM   #2
scobeyra
Registered Member

That should be fine as long as you don't add fish. If you have space, add some bio balls or even sand. I started with a bare bottom frag tank and eventually added sand it did better almost right away.

scobeyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2017, 07:25 PM   #3
ali1
Registered Member

Best filter for small tanks is water changes. I would ditch the filter and allow powerhead to circulate everythig so corals grab everything.

"I'm totally frustrated by this disease. My display has been fallow for 2 months now. If ich happened to mysteriously appear again, I'm giving up and going back to African Cichilds."
ali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2017, 10:55 AM   #4
AlSimmons
Registered Member

I would just use a HOB filter and call it a day. If the frags are going to be suspnded on a rack though you could add a few pieces of live rock to the tank and put these under them. This is basically what I did in my 10 gallon frag tank.

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote