Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/07/2011, 01:45 PM   #1
chuckdallas
Tank Tinkerer

Lighting for a Pavona Maldivensis???

I bought this really nice piece of orangish red Pavona about a week or two ago.

I started it at the bottom of my 120 gallon tank so it could acclimate. I have 22 inches from the top of the water to the sandbed in my 120 gallon DT. I have 1 month old 3 X ATI Aquablue Specials, 2 X Geismann Actinic Pluses and 1 X ATI Blue Plus bulbs HO T5 bulbs sitting 2 inches over the water. After 2-3 days of sitting at/near the sand, I moved it up to about 12 inches below the water. Thinking it was a nice SPS and needing tons of light, I moved it up to the top shelf, where the brown/blue acropora sits and the Maxima Clam. I have a Milwaukee Luxmeter, which tells me I'm getting 1200-1300 PAR right below the fixtures and I'm getting 1100 PAR at the base of the clam. The coral arrived VERY bumby. After 2-3 days of using all 6 bulbs for 6 hours and 1 to 2 hours of all blue on each side of the 6 hour period, my wife said the upper most column was not bumpy and washed out. We have some Meteor Shower Chalice and when I put the frag in the middle of the tank, it went smooth. Since moving it up near the clam, it has responded well, and is growing nicely. It's very bumpy and raised up now. Using this logic, I thought maybe I had used too much light too fast, so I moved it back down to the middle of the tank. According to a 3 year old thread here, 50% of the folks here say it needs as much light as the acropora and the other 50% says it needs to be in a dark spot like a cave. I can't find the right spot, and now I'm starting to get the white spots, as you see in the picture.

Where do I need to put this? If I move it up about 4-8 inches below the T5 fixture, how do I tell that it's too much light? Woudl that be because it loses color or goes flat?

I'm pretty sure the white spots are where it's starting to die, as I've been told by my fellow scuba divers and that it won't grow back there, but if that is true, is it because it needs MORE light or less?

I did another Google search and some other website like RC came up. The guy said he spot fed DT and got to see the polyps for about 5 minutes each night. Since I'm not a member of that website, I couldn't ask him what DT was. To me, it stands for Display Tank.

Please help.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pavona Maldivensis-compressed.jpg (26.2 KB, 84 views)

Current Tank Info: No tank, no fish, no coral :(
chuckdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2011, 08:57 PM   #2
chuckdallas
Tank Tinkerer

Can anyone help?

Unread 01/07/2011, 10:18 PM   #3
chilwil84
Registered Member

are you getting polyp extension. i wouldnt say a cave but somewhere in the middle of your tank would be more appropriate. i wouldnt expect any major improvements for a couple weeks after all the moving since it is probably stressed out. the white spots will grow back with time just try not to let any algae grow over the spots and it should encrust back over it when it becomes happy.

chilwil84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2011, 09:46 AM   #4
GQuinn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilwil84 View Post
are you getting polyp extension. i wouldnt say a cave but somewhere in the middle of your tank would be more appropriate. i wouldnt expect any major improvements for a couple weeks after all the moving since it is probably stressed out. the white spots will grow back with time just try not to let any algae grow over the spots and it should encrust back over it when it becomes happy.
I agree with this, but would place it more towards the bottom. I have seen two of these in person in other tanks and both were located towards the bottom and both looked great.

Gary

GQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2011, 10:57 AM   #5
fmelindy
Registered Member

I have one and I can tell you that any direct light bleaches it immediatley. I have to place mine in dull indirect light to even maintain it, much less make it happy.

fmelindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2011, 11:02 AM   #6
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

ime

orange phase Pavona maldivensis can do well in shaded or direct intense light.

MOST IMPORTANT is proper water parameters and locating this coral in really good water flow.

read this thread

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2011, 11:24 AM   #7
Killershrimp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdallas View Post
I bought this really nice piece of orangish red Pavona about a week or two ago.

I started it at the bottom of my 120 gallon tank so it could acclimate. I have 22 inches from the top of the water to the sandbed in my 120 gallon DT. I have 1 month old 3 X ATI Aquablue Specials, 2 X Geismann Actinic Pluses and 1 X ATI Blue Plus bulbs HO T5 bulbs sitting 2 inches over the water. After 2-3 days of sitting at/near the sand, I moved it up to about 12 inches below the water. Thinking it was a nice SPS and needing tons of light, I moved it up to the top shelf, where the brown/blue acropora sits and the Maxima Clam. I have a Milwaukee Luxmeter, which tells me I'm getting 1200-1300 PAR right below the fixtures and I'm getting 1100 PAR at the base of the clam. The coral arrived VERY bumby. After 2-3 days of using all 6 bulbs for 6 hours and 1 to 2 hours of all blue on each side of the 6 hour period, my wife said the upper most column was not bumpy and washed out. We have some Meteor Shower Chalice and when I put the frag in the middle of the tank, it went smooth. Since moving it up near the clam, it has responded well, and is growing nicely. It's very bumpy and raised up now. Using this logic, I thought maybe I had used too much light too fast, so I moved it back down to the middle of the tank. According to a 3 year old thread here, 50% of the folks here say it needs as much light as the acropora and the other 50% says it needs to be in a dark spot like a cave. I can't find the right spot, and now I'm starting to get the white spots, as you see in the picture.

Where do I need to put this? If I move it up about 4-8 inches below the T5 fixture, how do I tell that it's too much light? Woudl that be because it loses color or goes flat?

I'm pretty sure the white spots are where it's starting to die, as I've been told by my fellow scuba divers and that it won't grow back there, but if that is true, is it because it needs MORE light or less?

I did another Google search and some other website like RC came up. The guy said he spot fed DT and got to see the polyps for about 5 minutes each night. Since I'm not a member of that website, I couldn't ask him what DT was. To me, it stands for Display Tank.

Please help.
DT's is a brand of phytoplankton

Killershrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2011, 12:33 PM   #8
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

phytoplankton is not a good choice to feed Pavona maldivensis-

feed something meatier, if anything at all.

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2011, 08:26 PM   #9
chuckdallas
Tank Tinkerer

So everyone has a different opinion. Do the white spots mean too much light or not enough? Do I need more flow or less? Do I need to feed it more cyclopeeze and mysis or less?

I'm SO CONFUSED!!!!

Unread 01/09/2011, 09:07 AM   #10
fmelindy
Registered Member

Well..... while my opinion is certainly not exclusive, I actually have now in my tank right now and am not just reading threads about it. I can tell you that, at least with my pavona maldivensis, I developed the exact type of bleached spots you're talking about wherever the coral was exposed to direct high intensity light, even at the bottom of the tank, even under T5's. If I didn't keep the whole thing in a shaded, indirectly illuminated area, it would bleach immediately.

As for the controversy, maybe folks are talking about a different species? (or maybe I am?!?! lol) Yours looks exactly like mine, if that helps!

fmelindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2018, 09:11 AM   #11
Constantine
Registered Member

I figured I'd post, since I ran across this looking for info, someone else will too.

I have a Pavona Maldivensis happily growing on my sandbed for two years now. Great color and polyp extension. It's in my 55gal about 20" down, light is 4" above water, and shining through foggy/salty glass tops that I'm sure reduce the PAR. Lights are just 4 t5 54watt.

May particular coral is happy with almost no PAR.

Constantine is offline   Reply With Quote