Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/16/2018, 08:22 PM   #1
reefer1970
Registered Member

Drastic measures to catch fish?

I have a 125g with a ton of rock. False lemon peel is eating corals. Tried three kinds of traps. He is so shy he hardly comes out. I have too much LR to try the lights off and on stun method. Trying to avoid removing rock. Can I laser beam him or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reefer1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 08:33 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefer1970 View Post
I have a 125g with a ton of rock. False lemon peel is eating corals. Tried three kinds of traps. He is so shy he hardly comes out. I have too much LR to try the lights off and on stun method. Trying to avoid removing rock. Can I laser beam him or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No.. Laser beaming it is not a good idea unless you want to kill it. If he likes a certain kind of coral than it’s actually very easy. I have a 500 gallon display with nearly a 1000 pounds of live rock and there isn’t a fish in my tank that I can’t catch. That includes a lemon peel that got exiled to another tank. It just takes some patience and a decent trap with the correct game plan. Get a decent trap with a a door that drops down. Set the trap up without a door on it and leave it in the tank for a couple days or more so the fish get comfortable with it. If you can remove the trap daily and add food to it and then put it back in, that will help. Once the fish get completely comfortable with it, add the door with a long piece of fish string to it and put a piece of coral in it. The coral will only be needed if you can train the fish to eat out of the trap. You will want the string long enough that you can be far enough away without the fish feeling threatened. Watch closely and when the fish goes in, drop the door. If you need to tape the string to a wall to keep the door open when you are further away, then do that.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 08:44 PM   #3
mako61
Registered Member

Do you have a trap that you recommend. I have a fish that is acting up.

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 10:02 PM   #4
ramseynb
Registered Member

I made my own "trap" out of a 3l bottle that I cut the top off of and pushed it back into the opening the opposite way. I think I used some small zip ties to keep it together. I also cut around the top (where the lid would go on) to make the opening to the trap opening bigger. Then I tied fishing line to one of the zip ties.

I used it to catch a tang that was bullying everything and nipping clams. It took a lot of patience. I swear, every other fish I had went into that trap and ate food (even a freaking mandarin!) and they quickly learned to get in and out. I had a bigger tang that couldn't turn around in it but learned to just go in and back straight out. It's funny thinking back on it. However, finally, the tang I needed out went in and I pulled it out of the tank before he knew what was going on and was panicking too much to swim back through the hole.

ramseynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 11:05 AM   #5
AlSimmons
Registered Member

The High & Dry method outlined in the link below has always worked well for me. Just get yourself some Brute containers from the store and once you've caught the fish go ahead and return them.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/sp/index.php

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 11:16 AM   #6
Pet Detective
Registered Member

^^ +1 awesome link AlSimmons

Pet Detective is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 11:20 AM   #7
gonereefing654
Registered Member

If all else fails maybe you could look for a fish the eats lemon peels lol.

gonereefing654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 12:05 PM   #8
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I like aquamedics fish trap.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 12:40 PM   #9
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako61 View Post
Do you have a trap that you recommend. I have a fish that is acting up.
I use a Reef Gently Acclimate. It works as a drip acclimation box, a social acclimation box and a trap. It’s my go to acclimation device but also my go to trap. I’ve used it to catch angels, wrasses, butterfly fish and others using the method I mentioned above. A couple days in the tank and feeding in it will let the fish get comfortable. When it comes time to catch a target fish, I put a good amount of frozen mysis in the trap, place it in the tank with the door closed. The fish go nuts and try to get in the trap. I wait until the target fish is trying to get in and slowly raise the door from a distance using the fishing string. The second the fish goes in, I let the door drop. It’s always worked like a charm for me and takes me just minutes to catch my target fish. The key is just getting the fish accustomed to the trap and eating in it. I use a large syringe with a clear rigid tube connected to the syringe to inject food into the trap for feeding. I do that for a few days prior to trying to catch a fish in order to get the fish comfortable with the trap. The cool thing about the Acclimate is that you can stick it to the glass via it’s suction cups or place it on the bottom of the tank. It’s also good sized which keeps the fish in it longer and accommodates larger fish. I have the XL model but I also have a huge tank and often acclimate several fish at a time.

http://www.reefgently.com

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote