Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/09/2017, 09:16 AM   #1
downset21
Registered Member

variety of carbon sources for carbon dosing

I have been researching carbon dosing and this article (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php) makes reference to some people utilizing more than one carbon source to create a more diverse bacteria culture in their tank.

I am leaning toward using either Red Sea NOPOX or vodka. Has anybody used more than one carbon source? What are your experiences?

downset21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2017, 11:15 AM   #2
GimpyFin
Registered Member

Ecobak Plus biopellets actually do this as well. Warner marine uses multiple polymers/carbon sources to encourage a more diverse bacteria population for nutrient consumption. I think they even have a patent on their pellets, or possibly one pending. I've used them for a few years and have had great results.

Current Tank Info: 110 gallon
GimpyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2017, 11:23 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

People do it..
Not sure I've seen any proof its actually needed/beneficial though..

Unread 08/09/2017, 11:23 AM   #4
Sk8r
RC Mod

I had good results with NoPoX as well.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2017, 02:29 PM   #5
ClownNut
Registered Member

nopox is one of the best carbon source i had used. i did vodka, sugar, vinegar and combo of any or all 3. did zeovit and AF too, still come back to nopox.

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
ClownNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2017, 02:39 PM   #6
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Worth mentioning that NoPoX is a multi-carbon source. From an RC expert: "Essentially NOPOX is 6 parts ethanol to 1 part acetic acid. It also includes abut 3% methanol and some isoprophol alclohol and perhaps other small impurites . The methanol is likely added to avoid taxation as a consumable liquor.:

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2017, 05:05 PM   #7
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
Worth mentioning that NoPoX is a multi-carbon source. From an RC expert: "Essentially NOPOX is 6 parts ethanol to 1 part acetic acid. It also includes abut 3% methanol and some isoprophol alclohol and perhaps other small impurites . The methanol is likely added to avoid taxation as a consumable liquor.:
Methanol is probably not added but present since they use cheap ethanol. Methanol is a side product of industrial ethanol production. Pure ethanol free of methanol is extremely hard to produce and require multi-step distillation.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2017, 06:12 PM   #8
downset21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyFin View Post
Ecobak Plus biopellets actually do this as well. Warner marine uses multiple polymers/carbon sources to encourage a more diverse bacteria population for nutrient consumption. I think they even have a patent on their pellets, or possibly one pending. I've used them for a few years and have had great results.

I'm pressed for space so I feel like carbon dosing is my best option at the moment. I will keep this in mind if things change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 08/09/2017, 06:13 PM   #9
downset21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownNut View Post
nopox is one of the best carbon source i had used. i did vodka, sugar, vinegar and combo of any or all 3. did zeovit and AF too, still come back to nopox.

I'm going to read more about this. I actually thought it would be more expensive but it seemed fairly affordable. Thanks for the reply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 08/09/2017, 11:11 PM   #10
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod1404 View Post
Methanol is probably not added but present since they use cheap ethanol. Methanol is a side product of industrial ethanol production. Pure ethanol free of methanol is extremely hard to produce and require multi-step distillation.
That's interesting. I did not know that or hear that argument for that addition yet. I was on the side of RedSea purposefully adding methanol in NoPox as a denaturing agent for the same reason as most all denatured alcohols include it to reduce the chance of recreational consumption so it's not taxed as other alcoholic beverages are or deal with many other legal issues of transportation and sales.

But that also makes sense. Any links to documentation on that readily on hand? I'll have to look it up as I'm curious to this manufacturing impurity process.

As a carbon source I would not suggest anyone purposefully dose Methanol as it is quite toxic, at least it's metabolites are, to most life on earth. It seems the small amount in NoPox is fine.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2017, 11:40 PM   #11
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
That's interesting. I did not know that or hear that argument for that addition yet. I was on the side of RedSea purposefully adding methanol in NoPox as a denaturing agent for the same reason as most all denatured alcohols include it to reduce the chance of recreational consumption so it's not taxed as other alcoholic beverages are or deal with many other legal issues of transportation and sales.

But that also makes sense. Any links to documentation on that readily on hand? I'll have to look it up as I'm curious to this manufacturing impurity process.

As a carbon source I would not suggest anyone purposefully dose Methanol as it is quite toxic, at least it's metabolites are, to most life on earth. It seems the small amount in NoPox is fine.

Normally amount of methanol produce through fermentation is very low. But during the distillation procedure first few batches of product you get is very rich in methanol. This is because methanol has a lower boiling point and so it evaporates more easily. So you get methanol first and after that methanol mixed with ethanol until it turns into pure ethanol as all methanol evaporates. Batches that are a mixture of methanol and ethanol are very cheap since there are not many uses for it. So I assumed redsea uses these since its cheaper and a better source of carbon.

This is the same reason why moonshine can get you blind or kill you. You can unintentionally enrich methanol if you dont know what you are doing. Here is a link to one such case;

http://www.abc.net.au/local/audio/20...13/3781104.htm

Last edited by Tripod1404; 08/09/2017 at 11:48 PM.
Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote