Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/21/2017, 01:57 PM   #1
meverha1
Registered Member

Long-Term Effects of Fluconazole Use?

I've been struggling with GHA for several months and I've tried just about everything - GFO, wet skimming, Carbon dosing, weekly water changes, etc...

I've always had Nitrates around 10 and Phosphates reading 0 (I assume because the GHA is using it all up). Macro algae that I've introduced to my fuge has always either stagnated or died off, likely because the GHA is using up all of the nutrients.

I dosed fluconazole a week ago and as of today 90% of my GHA is gone.

I re-introduced macro algae thinking that it will start to use up some of the nutrients that the dead GHA no longer needs.

My plan was to wait another week (2 weeks total), do a water change, and dose another round of fluconazole. Then I started thinking that maybe a lower, long-term, maintenance dose of fluconazole might be better. At least until I'm able to get some serious nutrient transport via macro algae. Maybe 2-3 months of weekly water changes and fluconazole?

Thoughts?

Any issue with long term dosing of fluconazole?

I'd essentially need to stop skimming but doing weekly water changes I don't get much production out of the skimmer anyway so I'm not sure that's really a issue.

meverha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2017, 03:39 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Its a fairly new treatment I believe.. I doubt there is any long term data..

I personally do not think its a long term solution..
Have you been checking your nitrate/phosphate levels now that the GHA is gone?
How long has the tank been setup for ?
How bad was the GHA? any pics?

Unread 08/26/2017, 07:45 AM   #3
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

My concern with long term use is that you will build resistant strains of algae and then fluconazole will be useless. I just treated with fluconazole 2 weeks ago and been running my skimmer and also have about 90% reduction. Its that 90% number that is the issue. with 100% you'll have no survivors and a long term dose might work. If you have survivors then you have resistance.

I am thinking it would be better to rotate fluconazole with Vibrant or NOPOx while using other methods like chaeto, GFO or carbon dosing to keep it down in between. A good clean up crew doesn't hurt either.

Check my homepage for tank pics and details.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon, 2x maxspect R420R LED, 4 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Flame Angel, Foxface Rabbitfish, Banggai Cardinals, Azure Damsel, rock flower anemone, cleaner shrimp, serpent star
Frogmanx82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2017, 06:19 AM   #4
no1bubba
Registered Member

Where to purchase FLUCONAZOLE

everywhere I look I find I need a prescription. I have some but we just moved and I can't find it

no1bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2017, 08:57 AM   #5
Scurvy Dawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1bubba View Post
everywhere I look I find I need a prescription. I have some but we just moved and I can't find it
Just got an order from fishlifeantibiotics.com. Free shipping and showed up in three days. Comes in a bottle instead of the blister packs. They are having a sale right now. I bought 20 tablets for around 30 bucks

Scurvy Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2017, 12:54 PM   #6
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

I've had luck with a maintenance dose of API algeafix. That seemed to be the solution before the fluconazole got popular. There may be no ill effects from long term dosing, but it's hard to say with no data, and I have too much invested in my tank to be the ginea pig. the algeafix has a longer track record, but may not be as effective. For me, it's done great. I think in your situation, I'd just do the normal dosing, then instead of a maintenance dose, I'd stop dosing and only start again if the algea was coming back.

ReefsandGeeks is offline   Reply With Quote