Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/14/2017, 07:58 PM   #3326
AZReef13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchmittyG View Post
Thinking about adding some more live rock to increase the height of my aquascape on the back wall... Also excited about getting a Midas Blenny to add to the tank soon. Just got my Alk/Cal dosing regularly and pretty much on point. Now must making some tweaks to add the alk at the times where the PH is the lowest so the PH stays as stable as possible. This has been quite an adventure so far.
I've heard that part can be some what of a challenge. I start that part next monday. any advise? Are you using dosing pumps, or manual adding?

AZReef13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 08:08 PM   #3327
FlamesFan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZReef13 View Post
FlamesFan; I really like it the caves are great for your fish. are the two small pices staying too, becoming small islands?
I think they would stay for zoas or similar to go on. The top ledge would be for SPS and then LPS along the lower sections of the rock.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

FlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 09:13 PM   #3328
AZReef13
Registered Member

It a real cool idea, haven't seen that before. Can't wait to see more build process.

Unread 08/15/2017, 10:17 AM   #3329
SchmittyG
Schmitty

Quote:
I've heard that part can be some what of a challenge. I start that part next monday. any advise? Are you using dosing pumps, or manual adding?
Im using dosing pumps...

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon Nuvo tank from IM
SchmittyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2017, 11:57 AM   #3330
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFan View Post
What do you guys think of this aquascape? This is using 30 lbs of rock. It's 12" tall at the top. I can't decide if I was this "reef" look or go more minimalist.

Looks good!

Reef Savvy 96 Gallon Rimless Tank - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2643140

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy 96
choss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 08:39 PM   #3331
AZReef13
Registered Member

Well I'm in the planning phase for my fish, would like to hear your thoughts.... They will be added a very slow pace to ensure thier success. Corals will be LPS, hammer, torch, frogspawn, elegance, lords plus ricordea shrooms.

Yasha gobies (pair and Pistol shrimp)
Blue Star Leopard Wrasse (female)
Captive breed mandarins, pair?
Blue flasher wrasse (Male)
Helfrichi firefish, pair?

Unread 08/18/2017, 08:00 AM   #3332
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
Well I'm in the planning phase for my fish, would like to hear your thoughts.... They will be added a very slow pace to ensure thier success. Corals will be LPS, hammer, torch, frogspawn, elegance, lords plus ricordea shrooms.

Yasha gobies (pair and Pistol shrimp)
Blue Star Leopard Wrasse (female)
Captive breed mandarins, pair?
Blue flasher wrasse (Male)
Helfrichi firefish, pair?
I love Yasha gobies so excellent choice there (they are good in small tanks). I'm not 100% sure but the Blue Star Wrasse might need a bigger tank down the road. One of my favorite fish though. I have a six line wrasse in my IM 40 and he's the most dominant fish - just gets most of the food. Which brings me to the last thought - firefish are great but shy. And even one mandarin would be tough - they need a lot of rock with critters to eat. pods etc. I was planning one for my IM40 and I rigged up a small HOB refugium to raise pods. But I never ended up adding the fish. I will consider one for my 96 gallon build. Hope this helps. I think you are heading in the right direction. All extremely interesting fish.

Reef Savvy 96 Gallon Rimless Tank - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2643140

Unread 08/18/2017, 08:08 AM   #3333
AZReef13
Registered Member

Thanks Choss, I wasn't planning them either (Mandarins) until I found these tank raised ones at LFS. They are eating right out of bag. They were pretty cute too, about the size of a yasha. I hope that if I continue to add reef stew helps too. I know that my wrasse choices may out grow tank down the road.

Unread 08/18/2017, 12:02 PM   #3334
SchmittyG
Schmitty

Im 40

I love writing IM 40, hahaha, anyways I too have an IM 40 and currently have two clown fish. Im thinking about getting a yellow wrasse and a midas blenny and maybe a shrimp. I have a question for you other IM owners though. Is it normal to get algae in the sump? My light is a kessil and it shines into the sump as well as the tank and the tank gets no algae probably due to my CUC, but I noticed the sump has algae in all four chambers hanging on the sides a bit, not bad but it is there ...

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon Nuvo tank from IM
SchmittyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2017, 05:36 PM   #3335
AZReef13
Registered Member

Quote:
I love writing IM 40, hahaha, anyways I too have an IM 40 and currently have two clown fish. Im thinking about getting a yellow wrasse and a midas blenny and maybe a shrimp. I have a question for you other IM owners though. Is it normal to get algae in the sump? My light is a kessil and it shines into the sump as well as the tank and the tank gets no algae probably due to my CUC, but I noticed the sump has algae in all four chambers hanging on the sides a bit, not bad but it is there ...
Mine is to new to answer for you, but I was wondering that myself. I even talked with my lfs, who does tank builds about making an plexiglass lid for it.

Unread 08/19/2017, 07:58 AM   #3336
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
I run a Kessil a360WE and do not get much algae in the sump. How high up do you have yours? I have had mine between 6-8" as high as 10". Right now its at around 6" above the tank.

Unread 08/19/2017, 01:50 PM   #3337
KJoFan
Registered Member

Anyone have thoughts or experience on nutrient control in these tanks? Currently, I'm using 3ml of NoPox nightly to keep/bring down nitrates and 2 drops of lanthanum chloride into the filter pad for P.

However, I do have some biopellets and the IM reactor so I'm considering switching to biopellets.

Looking for opinions for/against either one.

KJoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2017, 10:14 AM   #3338
Pnorris11
Registered Member

Tank is about six months in so I just did some maintenance and cleaned all the pumps, skimmers, reactors etc and that may be my least favorite part about this tank. Maintenance is such a PITA.

There is also a ton of detritus that accumulates in the back chambers and pretty sure it spiked my nitrates. Thought of maybe throwing a maxi jet along the bottom to keep it all suspended. Has anyone considered this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pnorris11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2017, 05:29 PM   #3339
AZReef13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnorris11 View Post
Tank is about six months in so I just did some maintenance and cleaned all the pumps, skimmers, reactors etc and that may be my least favorite part about this tank. Maintenance is such a PITA.

There is also a ton of detritus that accumulates in the back chambers and pretty sure it spiked my nitrates. Thought of maybe throwing a maxi jet along the bottom to keep it all suspended. Has anyone considered this?

Haven't been running that long yet myself. But like you said the Maintenance part it PITA. I was wondering that myself, at my lfs told me to add Aquavitro Remediation to help with detritus in bck chamber. Will be try this out down the road. Since aquavitro is the only line I'm using right now should be interesting.

Unread 08/21/2017, 06:12 PM   #3340
CoreysReef123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwaybill View Post
I have the ghost and with some patience and break in time it works great. I don't like to overskim and it pulls a pretty dark tea color skimmate that smells awful. It's a like from me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I use the ghost too and this is a pretty accurate description! Thumbs up!

CoreysReef123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2017, 06:56 PM   #3341
Greaser9999
Registered Member

Quote:
Haven't been running that long yet myself. But like you said the Maintenance part it PITA. I was wondering that myself, at my lfs told me to add Aquavitro Remediation to help with detritus in bck chamber. Will be try this out down the road. Since aquavitro is the only line I'm using right now should be interesting.
I been running mine for a little over 5 months now, no detritus issues in the sump area for me. I use filter socks with polyfiber pads on top, very close to nothing gets past the filter pad & sock.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Greaser9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2017, 07:53 PM   #3342
AZReef13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greaser9999 View Post
I been running mine for a little over 5 months now, no detritus issues in the sump area for me. I use filter socks with polyfiber pads on top, very close to nothing gets past the filter pad & sock.

Are you placing pad over sock? interesting how did you come up with this trick?

Unread 08/21/2017, 08:04 PM   #3343
KJoFan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnorris11 View Post

Isn't there an area under chambers 1 and 4? I'm not sure how you'd keep it out from under both chambers? The powerhead would only point one direction.

What about using something like Dr. Tim's Waste Away?

KJoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2017, 09:33 PM   #3344
Greaser9999
Registered Member

Quote:
Are you placing pad over sock? interesting how did you come up with this trick?
Yes I am, the polyfiber pad usually picks up all the crap. I swap them out every 5 days or so, socks once a week at best! That trick was passed down to me here on this very thread lol you'll have to scroll back a bit to find though

Unread 08/21/2017, 10:16 PM   #3345
AZReef13
Registered Member

Thanks will be getting the pads tomorrow.... Yes I must read all the threads...

Unread 08/22/2017, 05:01 AM   #3346
SalinFL
Registered Member

I do the same, but use the loose (puff type) poly floss. I did a thorough cleaning before I left for vacation and as greaser said, it's clean down there.

SalinFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2017, 02:57 PM   #3347
big mamma
Registered Member

hello everyone, thinking about buying the fusion 40 with the new aps stand. i currently have 125 gallon reef and looking to add one of these tanks. i have never owned a aio set up and looking for some good reviews to push me that way. will be keeping mixed reef with no sps. what type of lighting are you guys using also ? thanks for any input .

big mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2017, 03:09 PM   #3348
Greaser9999
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mamma View Post
hello everyone, thinking about buying the fusion 40 with the new aps stand. i currently have 125 gallon reef and looking to add one of these tanks. i have never owned a aio set up and looking for some good reviews to push me that way. will be keeping mixed reef with no sps. what type of lighting are you guys using also ? thanks for any input .
The best thing you can do is go to the beginning of this thread and read thru it. Its a very long thread and you dont have to read absolutely everything, but you can scroll thru it and just read things that interests you. Just about everything is mentioned from livestock to coral and different types of equipment, helps a lot to get one of these tanks going in the smoothest way possible. Browse the thread and use your best judgment, I love mine!!

Unread 08/28/2017, 03:22 PM   #3349
big mamma
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greaser9999 View Post
The best thing you can do is go to the beginning of this thread and read thru it. Its a very long thread and you dont have to read absolutely everything, but you can scroll thru it and just read things that interests you. Just about everything is mentioned from livestock to coral and different types of equipment, helps a lot to get one of these tanks going in the smoothest way possible. Browse the thread and use your best judgment, I love mine!!

thanks, i am on vacation this week and i have to order by tomorrow to get this week and i know i will not get thru the whole thread in time. i will skim through it. glad to hear you love yours.

big mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2017, 08:15 PM   #3350
AZReef13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mamma View Post
Thats the set up I'm running. APS stand awesome goes together quickly. I place a peices of pegboard in back. Also a couple blocks under the base. I feel it supports the ATO tank better. If you plan on the tank and are going to use custom caddy & Skimmer. Get the preformanc pack; Skimmer, Reactor along with custom caddy, spinner and auto drip... Good luck cant wait to hear about your build.