Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/22/2017, 12:10 PM   #2376
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Ending hypo salinity treatment today! Now I just need a really big salt shaker…

I'm not sure how long I'm going to take getting salinity back to 25ppt. I'm guessing a week should work. I very anxious to get my old tank back. I've just got to be smart, take it slow and build it back from the bottom of the food chain, up.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2017, 01:55 PM   #2377
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I am excited for you. It will be cool to see the life in your tank rebound while at the same time hoping the pests have been exterminated​!

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2017, 12:54 PM   #2378
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Just back from camping over the weekend. Everything still looks good. I am resuming salt additions today. Several more days of it to come.

I just did a quick check online, and found some barnacle blennies on sale! I grabbed five of them. That was a lucky find! I'm hoping to find some sailfin blennies as well. I want to get the smallest guys in first.

Unread 03/27/2017, 08:08 PM   #2379
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Awesome!!! They are really cool blennies. Same species as before?

They are so alert, as if they've mixed energy drinks with cappuccino and high octane gasoline!!!

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Unread 03/28/2017, 12:03 AM   #2380
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Yes, the Panamic or Hancock's Blenny. The same as before. I really like them! Fun behavior, funny looking, and I can keep more than one. Their eyes can move independently. That's alert!

The ulva is getting smaller. I think it's being eaten. Hopefully it will come back as salinity rises. The sagittaria was showing signs of a comeback, until I started adding salt. Now it looks dead.

My turtle grass continues to sprout new blades, but maybe not as fast as the first time. I'll keep pinching them. The manatee grass looks a bit beat up. The shoal grass hardly missed a beat during hypo. They both still have some cyano encrustation. I really like the shoal grass. I think it will fill out the meadow nicely. It grows faster. Its thin blades aren't as tall as manatee grass, but its flat blade shape moves beautifully in the current.

So, the goal with the grasses is to lose the turtle grass completely, then focus on the manatee and shoal grasses. If I succeed, I'll finally have the beautiful seagrass meadow I dream of.

On the macro algae side, first I'll see what survived. Then I'll figure out what else I want. I don't want too much, so I can dose for the seagrasses, not a fast growing caulerpa or other greedy weed. I do hope to have another healthy macro bunch. Just not as fast growing or labor intensive.

Unread 03/28/2017, 10:20 AM   #2381
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Here's an old pic of the barnacle blennies.

What a fun group! I'm very excited to get these again.

Unread 03/28/2017, 01:22 PM   #2382
zachxlutz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Here's an old pic of the barnacle blennies.

What a fun group! I'm very excited to get these again.
Yay! Happy to see you're back making some progress moving forward! The tough part is behind you now.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2590557

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Display + 55 Gallon Sump/Fuge
zachxlutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2017, 01:29 PM   #2383
sam.basye
Registered Member

Michael, I think you should get some sort of off​ the wall, cool fish. Something the equivalency of the lookdowns (cool factor wise) as a show piece. Whether it be a group of odd fish or one really weird one. Lol

Current Tank: 30 Cube build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661418
26g Foam Rockwall build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457621
Foam Wall
sam.basye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2017, 01:41 PM   #2384
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Zach!

Am I through the toughest part? That would be lovely!

Now it's back to the salt mine…

Unread 03/28/2017, 02:34 PM   #2385
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That would be way cool Sam. All I have to do is pick one…ha ha!

I do expect to have a few groups of fairly odd fish. The barnacle blennies, with their stupid heads and goofy faces, the sailfin blennies, with their 'flagging competitions', and a few other oddballs I'm considering.

You know what would really fit the bill? A school of shrimp fish! From what I've read, they are more of a seahorse tank kind of fish. And I haven't found any caribbean versions. Maybe if I kept a super mellow community they could work. They are definitely 'look down' cool! I'll keep looking. I do like the oddballs!

So often, I'm learning, the bigger, personality fish don't mesh so well with my 'ecosystem, food chain, community' philosophy. I can't have one fish decimating an important part of the ecosystem, so it's tricky. I know I've shot down a ton of suggestions, but I'm still open! The Lookdown/Molly combo might have worked if the lookdowns didn't get sick and die, and the mollies were quicker on the baby-making.

I was just looking at the barnacle blennies online. It turns out they're not Caribbean! They are native to Central America, so I thought I was good, but I looked at a distribution map, and they're on the Pacific side only. I suppose they could migrate through the canal! I think some Caribbean maps include the west coast of Central America, but that's pushing it. So much for my 'Biotope Entry' in aquarium competitions! Is there a 'sort of biotope' category?

I don't think my mini strombus snails are caribbean either. I justified them by saying there MUST be a caribbean equivalent. Plus I really needed to have another reproducing snail in the community.

So, I'm not running up the biotope white flag. I'm just being a little loose on the interpretation…

Unread 03/28/2017, 02:43 PM   #2386
pfan151
Registered Member

This is what you need

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C43fDOwy85g

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2017, 03:12 PM   #2387
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Whoa! Those are pretty. Imagine a harem of those!

Unread 03/28/2017, 03:55 PM   #2388
Chasmodes
Registered Member

How about a blue dartfish or a Yellowface Pike Blenny? They aren't commonly seen but are both Caribbean and peaceful.

I also thought maybe a swissguard or black cap basslet, but maybe won't get along with the grammas. Plus, swissguards have large mouths and might eat blennies. Both are deep water species too, not really in lagoons.

A Caribbean longnose butterfly would be cool, but not sure if your inverts would be safe.

Skilletfish (Clingfish) are cool, but adults have large mouths too, so that might not work.

A school of blue chromis?

Just tossing out ideas...

BTW, I've had that blenny pic of yours as my work PC wallpaper up until a couple weeks ago and will probably put it up again soon. Right now, it's a pic of sycamore roots (to inspire my other project).

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 03/28/2017, 04:00 PM   #2389
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
As expensive as they are beautiful! Wow, what a fish though!!!!

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 03/28/2017, 04:56 PM   #2390
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Yeah, I'm liking those pike blennies. Kind of like a pipe fish, but can hang in a regular community tank. I'm also considering the swiss guard basslet. I'm thinking of doing the chalk basses too. If I introduce all basslets together, it could work. There's just not a lot of info on the swiss guards, so I'm not sure. I do plan to get royal grammas again. I think they'll work ok with the chalks, as their habitats are different.

My condylactis is shrinking in QT. If it doesn't recover, butterfly fish will be an option.

I think I will get some blue chromises. I've debated them for long enough! Time to try 'em.

I'm still considering a three fish cherub angel harem. Given the difficulty removing fish from my tank, I'm very cautious. If they turned into the horror story some folks have experienced, I'd be in a real mess!

Unread 03/28/2017, 05:20 PM   #2391
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Whoa! Those are pretty. Imagine a harem of those!
Maybe with Cuba relations improving it maybe a possibility soon. Or at least one Dejong with the rest royals.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2017, 05:42 PM   #2392
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I think I saw that they were captive-breeding them!

Unread 03/28/2017, 09:29 PM   #2393
rucnnefish
Registered Member

Michael,
I am a bit confused about your stocking plans as it relates to " rebuilding from the bottom up". Did your pods and sand dwelling worms and other critters make it through hypo? Are snails, crabs, or shrimp on the " bottom up" list? Just curious cause you are talking about fish already, and maybe I missed it or misread something.

Your tank, your methods, and your writing skills are all top notch. Keep it up, I know you have a lot of silent admirers besides myself.

Current Tank Info: 20g, nano with spawning S. Yasha
rucnnefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2017, 01:21 AM   #2394
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thank you rucnefish! Very kind words. Now you've inspired me!

Yes, I am rebuilding from the bottom up for sure. I've touched on the subject in recent posts. I'm watching and waiting to see what's gonna make it. I just figured people wanted to talk about fish. They're a bit sexier than worms 'n stuff.

But I love the detrivores! They make the magic happen, recycling fish food into plant food, and vice versa.

I don't think a lot of people believe that nature can do so much for us. They believe that man's technology is superior. I believe that we can let nature have its way and THAT is worthy of display. And if we can see that we really do have complete, little ecosystems, right in our glass boxes, we can learn what players are appropriate to help out. If we're smart, we can help nature build a recycling ecosystem loop that fits its own needs.

So, what am I doing to rebuild? First, I have to see what has survived. So far I've got snails and pods. What I haven't seen yet is spaghetti worms and mini brittle stars, so they're probably the first I'll need to replace. However, some may have survived. I need to wait until I have full salinity to know more. I expect to be adding live sand and pods at some point. I'm also considering adding ten more pounds of farmed live rock. I think I'm good with snails. No plans for any crabs, with the possible exception of a porcelain crab or two.

Another piece of the puzzle is the plants. Again, I have to see what survived. Soon I'll be able to do more to help them out and move everything back towards normal. This will be a different normal without the caulerpa, which was the dominant plant before. I'm sure this will take some adjustment.

To summarize, I'm raising salinity to 25ppt, I'm observing my detrivore community to see what it needs, and I'm doing the same with the plants. Once I understand better what is needed, I can get to it!

From September 27, 2016.

Unread 03/29/2017, 07:29 PM   #2395
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

My barnacle blennies came today. I got them acclimated and into QT.

I got the smalls since they were on sale, but man, these guys are tiny! Little more than an inch long. I offered food about four hours after I introduced them. I think they all ate some, so I think they're all good. Just having these little guys again makes my heart happy. I'll keep them out of the display while I revive the bottom of the ecosystem.

Jeez, getting salinity back up is a pita. I'm taking it slow, so I don't stress anyone, but I'm getting impatient! Shouldn't be more than a day or two now. I'm jonesin' to straighten up and see what's hiding under the big pile of chaeto and ulva.

I also drip acclimated the condylactis anemone back to the display. It has shrunken dramatically. I had hoped it would have eaten lots of molly fry, but I guess it didn't. The lighting in the QT is pretty basic too, so not much help from the symbiotic algae within. It looks alive, but weakened. If I can get it to attach somewhere I'll feed it something.

I've been scouring the display with a magnifying glass. I see no aiptasia or caulerpa. None. Zippity do da day. Yay.

Peak seagrass growth, January 15, 2017.

Unread 03/30/2017, 05:05 PM   #2396
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
I just figured people wanted to talk about fish. They're a bit sexier than worms 'n stuff.
How 'bout those sexy shrimp? (kidding)

Oh those blennies sound so cool! Now if things work out for them, you'll have more of their expected life span to enjoy!

Glad the aiptasia and caulerpa aren't showing up. Crossing my fingers for ya that it stays that way.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 03/30/2017, 10:58 PM   #2397
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Good point Chasmodes! I should get more time with them. I keep checking on the aiptasias and caulerpa - still none!

Well today I figured out a way to straighten a little, without losing plant mass. I gathered up the ulva litter and put it into the overflow/refugium, right under the light. Then I gathered up all the chaeto I could, balled it up and wrapped it in rubber bands. I placed it on the DSB, under the light. Turns out, what was under them was pretty much nothing. I guess everything got shaded out by the chaeto. This works for me, as I said I'd like to see some more of the rock work.

So far, I'm seeing green and red 'moss' algae, and red and brown grasilarias. I don't think any of the blue hypnea made it but I still have some in QT. There are fragments of macros all over. I should be back to normal salinity tomorrow. Once that's done, I can start rebuilding. I ordered some Florida Pets live sand and some pods too. I need more diversity in the sand, so this should help.

I should be able to ramp up dosing soon as well.

It's coming along. Still pretty dreary, but we're making progress. Springtime for my little ecosystem is at hand!

Unread 03/30/2017, 11:08 PM   #2398
wilder
Registered Member

Yay! I'm excited to see what turns up and see the new little critters to come :-) Even more excited to see the various blennies.

Unread 03/30/2017, 11:25 PM   #2399
wilder
Registered Member

Yay! I'm excited to see what turns up and see the new little critters to come :-) Even more excited to see the various blennies.

Unread 03/30/2017, 11:29 PM   #2400
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks! Me too wilder.

I just ordered a few plants…

Tags
biotope, caribbean, food chain detrivores, macro algae, seagrass