Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/27/2015, 10:43 AM   #26
Webmanny
Registered Member

Awesome news. Thanks for the update.

My N=1 study of me, validated by me, and supported by completely anecdotal evidence, states that my advice is 100% correct, most of the time.
Webmanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2015, 11:41 AM   #27
nate21088
Registered Member

Could anyone tell me if gsp have palytoxin like zoanthids?

nate21088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2015, 08:30 PM   #28
mmittlesteadt
Registered Member

No, they don't.

Here's my GSP, right next to some zoas...

40 Gallon Build Thread - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2486801

Current Tank Info: 40 Gallon Breeder, Eshopps PSK-100, Kessil A160WE, 70 lbs. rock, 65 gallon sump, 27 gallon refugium
mmittlesteadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2015, 05:58 PM   #29
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmanny View Post
It looks kind of white on this picture. Does it also look white in real life? If so, not a good sign, but if it has a purple tint to it, they will bounce back.
Just wondering why that would be a issue? You have me wondering why now - lol. It is like the cliff hanger of a movie!!!

I recall a few years back having a couple patches two of which went poof that I tied to a water change. The one patch on the sand made it through and recovered. Only thing I recall of the patches that disappeared is that they went from bright green to a shade of lighter green, then white before even the base was gone.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef

Last edited by saf1; 09/02/2015 at 06:00 PM. Reason: To clarify - few years back I had a patch that slowly faded and I recall them turning white.
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2015, 07:24 AM   #30
Webmanny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1 View Post
Just wondering why that would be a issue? You have me wondering why now - lol. It is like the cliff hanger of a movie!!!

I recall a few years back having a couple patches two of which went poof that I tied to a water change. The one patch on the sand made it through and recovered. Only thing I recall of the patches that disappeared is that they went from bright green to a shade of lighter green, then white before even the base was gone.
LOL sorry did not mean to leave you hanging. Corals get their color from an algae officially called zooxanthellae. When a coral starts loosing its zooxanthellae, it is normally a sign of bad things to come. That is why I asked if your coral looked more white than purple in person.

My N=1 study of me, validated by me, and supported by completely anecdotal evidence, states that my advice is 100% correct, most of the time.
Unread 09/10/2015, 07:17 PM   #31
hotelbravo
Registered Member

Glad to hear I love GSP and I recently cut up some major pieces of GSP to glue in various places and I had a few extra pieces and threw them in the sump. They have been there for about a month and with no flow and hardly any light they are still alive. They are unbelievably resilient

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon, 40b sump. 3x OR T247 lighting, Reef Octopus protein skimmer, phosban 550 reactor, tunze ato, gyre xf 150, 2x mag 9.5 returns.
hotelbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2015, 06:23 AM   #32
Webmanny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotelbravo View Post
Glad to hear I love GSP and I recently cut up some major pieces of GSP to glue in various places and I had a few extra pieces and threw them in the sump. They have been there for about a month and with no flow and hardly any light they are still alive. They are unbelievably resilient
I hope you are ready for a tank full of this stuff. I do agree that they are beautiful, but they can drown everything else in your tank. Please be sure to place it in areas where you can quickly remove them or trim them if they become a "space bully".