Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/11/2015, 07:57 AM   #6901
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
What you can do, is to start a scrubber topic in the general section of RC.
Quote:
Skimmers do not remove any nutrients. Scrubbers do.
Why don't you start a thread in the general section with this topic and see how far that gets you.

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2015, 10:23 AM   #6902
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes. Skimmers do not remove any nutrients. Scrubbers do.

What do they remove or what is your definition of nutrients? I believe they (ATS and Skimmer) complement each other quite well though. I haven't been running an ATS very long but my skimmer hasn't skipped a beat and still pulling out "crud", what ever it is, just as much as before. Plus it aerates the water quite well and working as a boost to my pH with out using chemicals in the water increasing my already highish alk levels.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2015, 10:34 AM   #6903
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Giving credit where credit is due. These aren't easy to obtain.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20130233779

Clarification:

Go here

http://portal.uspto.gov/pair/PublicPair

Select Publication Number and enter: 2013-0233779

Click on Image File Wrapper and first file seems to indicate to me that it's due to be issued in 2 weeks (8/25) unless I'm misinterpreting something

Last edited by Floyd R Turbo; 08/11/2015 at 10:41 AM.
Unread 08/11/2015, 10:38 AM   #6904
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
Giving credit where credit is due. These aren't easy to obtain.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20130233779
But that's just the application right? It's not granted.

I like the mass one that's cited. That's cool.
Mass algal culture system
US 4253271 A
http://www.google.com/patents/US4253271

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
Unread 08/11/2015, 12:24 PM   #6905
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

edited my post above yours

Unread 08/11/2015, 08:41 PM   #6906
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
edited my post above yours
See it now. Congratulations to SantaMonica

Unread 08/12/2015, 10:56 AM   #6907
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Thanks.

Quote:
What do they remove or what is your definition of nutrients?
Nutrients for us are: Ammonia/ammonium, Nitrite, Nitrate, Phosphate, and even Copper. These are absorbed directly by algae as the main food source, especially ammonia.

Skimmers do not absorb/remove any of those. Skimmers remove protein (food) particles, which of course is food for corals. Many people think that having a skimmer running is "safety" in case a fish dies, etc. Dangerous thinking, because the skimmer will do nothing. A scrubber however will burst into growth and absorb the ammonia.

Interestingly, most ammonia comes from just everyday feeding (pee from the fish), and not from things dying. This is why sparse but continuous feeding is better than once-a-day bulk feeding.

Quote:
my skimmer hasn't skipped a beat and still pulling out "crud"
Yes that is a lot of coral food particles being pulled out.

Unread 08/12/2015, 11:11 AM   #6908
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks.

Nutrients for us are: Ammonia/ammonium, Nitrite, Nitrate, Phosphate, and even Copper. These are absorbed directly by algae as the main food source, especially ammonia.

Skimmers do not absorb/remove any of those. Skimmers remove protein (food) particles, which of course is food for corals. Many people think that having a skimmer running is "safety" in case a fish dies, etc. Dangerous thinking, because the skimmer will do nothing. A scrubber however will burst into growth and absorb the ammonia.

Interestingly, most ammonia comes from just everyday feeding (pee from the fish), and not from things dying. This is why sparse but continuous feeding is better than once-a-day bulk feeding.

Yes that is a lot of coral food particles being pulled out.

My understanding is that skimmers are indiscriminate on what they remove and remove just about everything that will attach itself to the bubble which includes many inorganic compounds like calcium and organics like nitrogenous compounds (ie. nitrates, nitrites, ammonia nitrogen). Which also includes bacteria that is skimmed out that has consumed nitrates and phosphates. Which is another benefit of the skimmer to me as I do dose a carbon source to boost bacteria growth to maintain lower nitrates and phosphates. That bacteria growth also starts a baseline food chain in my tank feeding the corals, sponges, etc. There's plenty more fish poop and pee in my main display tank as well before it gets skimmed out. I feed a lot many times a day.

Unread 08/12/2015, 02:01 PM   #6909
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
My understanding is that skimmers are indiscriminate on what they remove and remove just about everything that will attach itself to the bubble which includes many inorganic compounds like calcium and organics like nitrogenous compounds (ie. nitrates, nitrites, ammonia nitrogen). Which also includes bacteria that is skimmed out that has consumed nitrates and phosphates. Which is another benefit of the skimmer to me as I do dose a carbon source to boost bacteria growth to maintain lower nitrates and phosphates. That bacteria growth also starts a baseline food chain in my tank feeding the corals, sponges, etc. There's plenty more fish poop and pee in my main distank as well before it gets skimmed out. I feed a lot many times a day.
Sounds like you are using a skimmer, carbon (vodka or vinegar?) dosing and an ATS to control PO4 and NO3, correct?

II ask because I toy with the idea of carbon dosing, but figured no reason because with my ATS and skimmer were sufficient, and they probably are - NO3 = 1.5 and PO4 .003. What would be an additional benefit of carbon dosing and would it really add bacteria with so little left over Nitrate to use?

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2015, 02:39 PM   #6910
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Sounds like you are using a skimmer, carbon (vodka or vinegar?) dosing and an ATS to control PO4 and NO3, correct?

II ask because I toy with the idea of carbon dosing, but figured no reason because with my ATS and skimmer were sufficient, and they probably are - NO3 = 1.5 and PO4 .003. What would be an additional benefit of carbon dosing and would it really add bacteria with so little left over Nitrate to use?
I've always been a fan of all of the above and compliment each other. I have been running for many years now a skimmer, algae harvesting of some kind, carbon dosing(vinegar), small frequent water changes (currently multiple times a day), and ozone.

I target higher values than you mentioned.

Nitrates under 10 (currently undetectable)
Phosphates under .09 (currently around .06)

I see the water change as a basis to help remove any built up untestable unknowns and help replenish the basic chemicals everything needs. Then lots of food and lime water to add anything else needed.

Carbon dosing I've really had the most success maintaining lower nitrates and phosphate levels. GFO to bring down high PO4 values. And extreme cases lanthanum cl. Then I also really like the acetate as a food that is taken up directly by some organisms including bacteria driving up their counts which in turn becomes more food for other organisms which in turn... etc

Ozone...ZAP. Basically says it all. I don't run it 24/7. Just a few hours a day nor anywhere near the full recommended dosage.

Skimmer to me is just simple cheap filtering. It's not very efficient as a mechanical filter compared to something like filter socks or floss or diatom filters etc. Which to me is perfect as I don't want 100% efficiency or anywhere near it. I want critters to live and thrive. It's commented here and there its only about 30% efficient. I also look to it to help remove excess bacteria, boost aeration, and now help drive up pH. Plus its my ozone reactor. Win win win win all around on my book. I see no reason for me to not run one.

As for the algae harvesting. I look to it to supplement nutrient export with the skimmer with out hindering my critters that other mechanical filters would remove. In fact I look at it as helping to increase the biodiversity and a vacation home for those critters and something else for some of them to eat. Plus helping to increase pH slightly. Plus what ever marketing benefits algae may have.

Unread 08/17/2015, 08:16 AM   #6911
scubasteve3
Registered Member

What happens if you oversize your Algae Scrubber? Could this be detrimental to your tank? Do you recommend running both an ATS and a skimmer?

What size screen would you recommend for a 40g breeder with feeding 1 cube per day? If I double the size or light both sides, can I increase the cleaning from 7 days to 14 days

scubasteve3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2015, 10:57 AM   #6912
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

worst case, you will just have a bit of trouble getting growth to get thick and/or green. Sometimes if it is vastly oversized (and thus vastly underfed), you will have trouble getting any green at all. This usually starts happening when you are 3 or 4 times the feeding, or more.

Skimmers and scrubbers do different things for the most part so running them together is not a problem.

As far as size goes I have found that a 1 cube/day screen is just really tiny and it becomes tricky to light it quite right, but it can be done. 2 cube/day screen is better and not vastly oversized if you are feeding only one cube/day.

It's always better to light both sides even if one side is a different type of light or a significantly weaker light than the other side, as the rationale is to keep the base growth alive when growth gets thick. So if one side gets thick (strong light) and the other side does not (weak light) the weakly lit side will still contribute to the base growth of the other side, allowing you to have a longer growth cycle.

As far as cleaning cycle times go, this will depend on too many factors to predict, but usually you can go longer if you are lit on both sides per the above paragraph.

HTH
Bud

Unread 08/17/2015, 06:14 PM   #6913
scubasteve3
Registered Member

Quote:
worst case, you will just have a bit of trouble getting growth to get thick and/or green. Sometimes if it is vastly oversized (and thus vastly underfed), you will have trouble getting any green at all. This usually starts happening when you are 3 or 4 times the feeding, or more.

Skimmers and scrubbers do different things for the most part so running them together is not a problem.

As far as size goes I have found that a 1 cube/day screen is just really tiny and it becomes tricky to light it quite right, but it can be done. 2 cube/day screen is better and not vastly oversized if you are feeding only one cube/day.

It's always better to light both sides even if one side is a different type of light or a significantly weaker light than the other side, as the rationale is to keep the base growth alive when growth gets thick. So if one side gets thick (strong light) and the other side does not (weak light) the weakly lit side will still contribute to the base growth of the other side, allowing you to have a longer growth cycle.

As far as cleaning cycle times go, this will depend on too many factors to predict, but usually you can go longer if you are lit on both sides per the above paragraph.

HTH
Bud
Bud, Thanks for the quick response and great info!

So if I am building a 40g breeder with a 20g Long sump and plan to feed say 1 cube a day or 1 cube every other day, and my main goal is to run just a skimmer and ATS without a phosphate reactor, I should be OK with either the 1 cube or 2 cube screen.

Now, I do go on a lot of business trips so I could have someone watch the tank but they would most likely just do the feeding, auto top off and maybe a small water change but I highly doubt I could get them to clean my Algae Scrubber! So I'm wondering what build would let me get away with only having to clean every 1 month sometimes. When I am home, I would clean once a week but when I go on trips (sometimes for 1 month at a time), I would want the ATS to be able to keep going without having to be cleaned and be able to keep the nitrates, phosphates, etc low in the system. I thought an oversized screen would just allow the Algae to continue on growing and give you longer time between cleaning cycles. Why would it inhibit growth?

scubasteve3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2015, 11:00 PM   #6914
jason2459
Registered Member

Something I've noticed since bumping up the intensity of the red leds last week is my ORP has climbed over 300 which I'm never at. I've always had low orp (<300) even with using some Ozone. I've never worried about it and still don't. But every night when the ATS LEDs are on the ORP climbs quite dramatically. The past few nights so much so it's broken over 300. During the day it plummets back down of course most notably right after feedings. I'll be interested in seeing the trend as I have both sides now at higher intensities.

Last edited by jason2459; 08/17/2015 at 11:15 PM.
Unread 08/17/2015, 11:16 PM   #6915
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Something I've noticed since bumping up the intensity of the red leds last week is my ORP has climbed over 300 which I'm never at. I've always had low orp (<300) even with using some Ozone. I've never worried about it and still don't. But every night when the ATS LEDs are on the ORP climbs quite dramatically. The past few nights so much so it's broken over 300. During the day it plummets back down of course most notably right after feedings. I'll be interested in seeing the trend as I have both sides now at higher intensities.
Weird when see the post above it looks cut off. But when quoting it the entire post shows up.

Unread 08/17/2015, 11:21 PM   #6916
jason2459
Registered Member

Oh well.

Here's a graphing showing over the past week since bumping up the intensity of the LEDs on one side the ORP has for once climbed over 300 consistently.

The red line is the LEDs on and coordinates with the ORP climbing quite a bit more then normal. I normally see the up and down but not that much up to over 300. Only thing I can think of that's changed is the intensity of the LEDs on the one side.

Past 7 days from the Apex

Also another view from reeftronics

Unread 08/18/2015, 09:50 AM   #6917
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve3 View Post
Bud, Thanks for the quick response and great info!

So if I am building a 40g breeder with a 20g Long sump and plan to feed say 1 cube a day or 1 cube every other day, and my main goal is to run just a skimmer and ATS without a phosphate reactor, I should be OK with either the 1 cube or 2 cube screen.

Now, I do go on a lot of business trips so I could have someone watch the tank but they would most likely just do the feeding, auto top off and maybe a small water change but I highly doubt I could get them to clean my Algae Scrubber! So I'm wondering what build would let me get away with only having to clean every 1 month sometimes. When I am home, I would clean once a week but when I go on trips (sometimes for 1 month at a time), I would want the ATS to be able to keep going without having to be cleaned and be able to keep the nitrates, phosphates, etc low in the system. I thought an oversized screen would just allow the Algae to continue on growing and give you longer time between cleaning cycles. Why would it inhibit growth?
The problem becomes detachment, so yeah you could oversize the screen but if it grows thick enough, then you start to have layers dying off and this can dump nutrients back into the tank. I think it would be better to just teach someone how to clean it, they should only have to do it once for each month that you're gone, maybe twice.

Unread 08/18/2015, 11:13 AM   #6918
jason2459
Registered Member

The ORP really shot up last night with both sides on high and seems to have leveled off at 333 for the day as the LEDs went off at 11:30. I've always monitored ORP but have never tried to control it. But this will be the first time I have to actually watch it now and may for once have to shut down the ozone completely due to high ORP. Never would have thought I would have that situation. It's not a problem but it was not something I would have expected.

Unread 08/25/2015, 12:29 PM   #6919
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm wondering what build would let me get away with only having to clean every 1 month
This is where an upflow scrubber fits right in. They can go a long time without detachment, and importantly, without overflowing. I just finished a daily picture series of an un-cleaned upflow scrubber, and once the growth got 2" thick it stayed that way until harvesting. A waterfall scrubber would have had it's roots die and detach, or it would have overflowed, or both by now.

Unread 08/25/2015, 12:50 PM   #6920
nerose
Registered Member

Up flow scrubber

nerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2015, 06:11 AM   #6921
mattberrytr
Registered Member

Quote:
This is where an upflow scrubber fits right in. They can go a long time without detachment, and importantly, without overflowing. I just finished a daily picture series of an un-cleaned upflow scrubber, and once the growth got 2" thick it stayed that way until harvesting. A waterfall scrubber would have had it's roots die and detach, or it would have overflowed, or both by now.
A waterfall scrubber would most likely have removed an order of magnitude more nutrients from the water in the same period of time. A decent waterfall scrubber would have an emergency drain, so there's very little risk of anything overflowing.

mattberrytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2015, 09:43 AM   #6922
jason2459
Registered Member

Not sure either of the two statements above are entirely accurate. lol

Unread 08/26/2015, 11:25 AM   #6923
mattberrytr
Registered Member

Quote:
Not sure either of the two statements above are entirely accurate. lol
I am, but there's always exceptions.

mattberrytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2015, 05:21 PM   #6924
wildman926
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattberrytr View Post
A decent waterfall scrubber would have an emergency drain, so there's very little risk of anything overflowing.
That is correct. You can see it on mine, the pvc pipe exiting to the right.

The search function actually works quite well!!

Tanks:Planet Aquarium 150g LPS, Planet Aquarium 90g Softie
wildman926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2015, 07:26 AM   #6925
KAMIKAZE0214
Registered Member

Quick question, I have a DIY waterfall algae scrubber with red and blue LED's but I can't seem to find the thread on how strong I should start the LEDs with a fresh screen.

I have them at about 30%. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

KAMIKAZE0214 is offline   Reply With Quote