Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/27/2009, 10:47 PM   #1
WillLevantovsky
Registered Member

Cheap Auto Top-Off System?

hi! i am looking for a cheap auto top off system for my 55 gallon OPEN TOP reef and i would install it on my 10 gallon sump.... I'v never installed or used one before so i was hoping it would more or less "plug and play" one that comes with a pump maybe? I am open to all options and recommendations! Thanks!
and if it doesn't come with a pump how would i install it?

Unread 12/27/2009, 11:12 PM   #2
Shock130
Registered Member

autotopoff.com pretty simple, install the float onto the side of the tank, and plug a pump up to the ATO and run a tube from the pump in your ro/di reservoir into sump.

Unread 01/01/2010, 10:54 PM   #3
spydr
Registered Member

jbj top off good also a bit pricey though

spydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2010, 11:19 PM   #4
sedor
Registered Member

They are all fairly inexpensive if you keep it simple. JBJ is around $75 and has worked like a charm for me over the years. It has a nice feature that if the float switch gets stuck it shuts itself off after a set amount of time so you don't end up dumping your whole reservoir into the sump and crashing your tank.

Unread 01/02/2010, 08:30 AM   #5
bglegs
Registered Member

I use a eshops float valve from dr foster @ smith and I gravity feed to sump...the valve is 23.00 and it straddles the sump ...very simple and cheap..

bglegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2010, 08:55 AM   #6
cakemanPA
Premium Member

I made the decision after one almost disaster with cheap ato that this was not a good place to try to save a few bucks. I ended up buying a used Tunze Osmolator for each of my tanks. Money well spent.

cakemanPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2011, 05:00 AM   #7
Jhigga15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemanPA View Post
I made the decision after one almost disaster with cheap ato that this was not a good place to try to save a few bucks. I ended up buying a used Tunze Osmolator for each of my tanks. Money well spent.
I just got the Tunze, it came with everything and was plug and play...Too easy to set up. I think it was worth spending the money once to get a good one... It was expensive...

Current Tank Info: 29G Biocube HQI with a LED. Set up for aboy 1.6 years.
Jhigga15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2011, 06:53 AM   #8
amdninjaboy
Registered Member

Another vote for the Tunze.. I have had mine about a month now.. Easy to setup, works like a charm and comes with everything to get it up and running in less than 30 minutes..

Shane.

Current Tank Info: 90 gal, FOWLR, 20 gal sump
amdninjaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2011, 09:20 AM   #9
beckbrass
Registered Member

I use the avast one. It's great and does not use a float switch but a pressure switch so you don't need to worry about it sticking. Works great for me. And yes I would def spend a little money to get one that won't flood your house. Its worth it.

beckbrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2011, 09:35 AM   #10
125mph
Registered Member

JBJ all the way. I used the tunze for a week but it was very error prone. It kept trying to flood my sump!!!. The infrared stuff was just not very accurate. It wouldn't detect my water levels at all.. it would work for 30 mins, then think there was no water and turn on the pump.

After using tunze, I would say I trust a physical floating switch more than infrared technology.

Synergy Reef CL44 Sump | Neptune Apex
125mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2011, 11:45 AM   #11
cakemanPA
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125mph View Post
JBJ all the way. I used the tunze for a week but it was very error prone. It kept trying to flood my sump!!!. The infrared stuff was just not very accurate. It wouldn't detect my water levels at all.. it would work for 30 mins, then think there was no water and turn on the pump.

After using tunze, I would say I trust a physical floating switch more than infrared technology.
I would say that this most likely was a set up issue. The flooding is due to having a siphon by not having the top off line installed above your reserve water level. As far as the rest of your tunze issues... The optical sensor is extremely accurate as long as it is kept clean. If there were other issues, tunze backs their products very nicely if they are brogues about issues. I had initial set up problems. But the set up is failsafe once it is set up properly. 2 tanks - 2+ years - 0 problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cakemanPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2011, 12:22 AM   #12
studentdriver
Registered Member

ATO is not where you want to go cheap. Picture a floor flood with water and crashed tank if it fails.

studentdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2011, 08:07 AM   #13
collie man
Stoney Reefer

autotopoff.com i have had mine for years with no issues. just keep the float cleaned regularly and you'll be fine. im pretty sure most ato's are the same anyways

collie man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2011, 06:13 AM   #14
kellerexpress
Registered Member

Another vote for autotopoff.com

kellerexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2011, 07:35 AM   #15
das75
Registered Member

cheap. furnace humidifier float valve, a fitting and some tubing from HD (~$15.00) an old salt pail and gravity.

Current Tank Info: 145g Starfire display (mixed reef) w/75g basement sump & 20g refugium, Barracuda return, Dart w/OM 4way CL, AI Hydras and Director.
das75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2011, 10:22 AM   #16
wildman926
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bglegs View Post
I use a eshops float valve from dr foster @ smith and I gravity feed to sump...the valve is 23.00 and it straddles the sump ...very simple and cheap..
X2 - I use a Marineland Eclipse 6 tank only as the reservoir, cut a top for it out of acrylic, and a quick connect valve to have the flow down to a trickle in the event there is an issue, and an Eshopps float valve on the sump. Works perfect. These are pics of it when I first installed it. Excuse the light on the sump....

wildman926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2011, 04:46 AM   #17
Jhigga15
Registered Member

I was out of town for 4 days and the Tunze kept everything running well with no issues...

Current Tank Info: 29G Biocube HQI with a LED. Set up for aboy 1.6 years.
Jhigga15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auto, fish, reef, tank, top