Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/28/2017, 07:13 PM   #26
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Even though Noone is responding, I guess Ill keep posting updates/questions. Wow... I just witnessed my goby bite my coral beauty and whip him around till the angel got loose. I guess now that he is eating, he wants to be greedy and eat a whole fish lol. Is this a normal thing for gobies? I am now very hesitant to add him to my tank and I am also tempted to make another qt for the angel to get him away from the goby.

Reefer1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2017, 04:04 AM   #27
ginpang
Registered Member

Sounds like territorial behaviour.

I would separate them for remainder of Qt and hunt down some ocean nutrition angel formula or their awesome variety pack.

Also if I felt like lack of space and stress were hindering qting process I would pick the one that's doing best and put him in Display ( continuing prazi in dt)
But not seeing your fish makes it hard to give proper advice... which is probably why you didn't get much feedback above .

Hope they pull through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ginpang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2017, 05:41 AM   #28
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginpang View Post
Sounds like territorial behaviour.

But not seeing your fish makes it hard to give proper advice... which is probably why you didn't get much feedback above .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do the pictures not show up? When I say "here's a picture" or "pictures at the bottom" it's because I attatch a picture to my comment. It shows up for me but maybe not for everyone else. Since the second prazi treatment is done, I might just wait 2 more days to be a little more safe that he's healthy then possibly add him to my dt or make him his own qt.

Unread 04/29/2017, 06:19 AM   #29
Reefer1991
Registered Member

https://plus.google.com/107054426560...ts/3C29x5ofTbS
Hopefully that link works. The goby isn't as skinny as he is in that picture because he is now eating but I am still worried about the stringy poo. Both the coral beauty and goby have it but not all of the time. The angels is brown where as the gobies is yellowish brown. Is this normal since they have been eating a lot of mysis lately or do they have worms? If so what would you recommend to treat with because I already did 2 rounds of prazi.

Unread 04/29/2017, 06:38 AM   #30
Reefer1991
Registered Member

I just watched them very closely for about 20 mins. The goby still had the indent in his stomach. Last night I could of sworn it wasn't there anymore. So I guess maybe his stomach might be too shrunken in to make a comeback.

Unread 04/30/2017, 07:17 PM   #31
Reefer1991
Registered Member

The angel just rubbed his right gill again repetitively for a few minutes then stopped. Ughhhh I don't know what to do.

Unread 04/30/2017, 07:32 PM   #32
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Here's a video of him I took 5 minutes ago.
https://plus.google.com/107054426560...ts/2LYopipEk7Z
You can see him flash and near the end he kind of does the odd flutter with his fins. Just a reminder, this is after 2 rounds of prazi pro, and there haven't been any visual signs of any parasites. Just this gill rubbing which seems like it usually occurs later in the day. From seeing this video, what would you guys do if you were in my position. Please give me some feedback. I really don't know if I should treat for ich or what. He eats like a pig. Please, any suggestions?

Unread 05/04/2017, 07:16 PM   #33
Reefer1991
Registered Member

OK well I dropped the salinity down 1.008. Is this ok to do instead of 1.009? The fish seem a little stressed and the goby is breathing heavy. My refractometer is calibrated with rodi. I read that it is better to use calibration fluid for higher sg, but for hypo it it better to calibrate with rodi. Is this true? My reason for having the sg at 1.008(really right in between 1.008 and 1.009) is so that when I am at work, the water doesn't evaporate and cause the water to go over 1.009. Will the fish be OK at this level or should I bring it up to 1.009 exactly?

Unread 05/05/2017, 02:05 PM   #34
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Lol Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it. The ph is at 7.6 in hypo. I am thinking about raising it but a lot of people say not to worry about it. I'm going to leave it as is unless one of you guys tells me otherwise. The cb has stopped eating.

Unread 05/05/2017, 02:44 PM   #35
dweber618
Registered Member

The coral beauty appears to be flashing...if I see a fish flashing, I wouldn't add them to the DT. I would try another round of prazi. If the goby is eating but his stomach is still indented internal parasites could be the reason he's not gaining wait.

Other than the flashing - the coral beauty looks good (weight wise). Given the flashing - I would put them through TTM, the lower salinity will also be good - but I always default to tank transfer for a preventative treatment of ich.

dweber618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2017, 02:46 PM   #36
dweber618
Registered Member

As far as not eating - I've purchased fish that have slowly died in QT and refuse to eat - if you've thrown the book at them food wise - there's only so much you can do. I would not worry about PH. I don't know about the exact levels for hypo salinity.

Unread 05/05/2017, 03:13 PM   #37
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweber618 View Post
As far as not eating - I've purchased fish that have slowly died in QT and refuse to eat - if you've thrown the book at them food wise - there's only so much you can do. I would not worry about PH. I don't know about the exact levels for hypo salinity.
Thank you so much for the reply. The coral beauty has been eating like a pig for the past couple of weeks but yesterday I dropped the sg to 1.008 and he stopped eating. He sucks in the food but spits it right out. I brought the sg down over 24 hrs. I am not too worried yet since he may still be getting used to the new sg. The fact that he is trying to eat and doesn't swallow concerns me though. I haven't seen any visible ich spots, only him rubbing his gills. So maybe the ich in his gills is preventing him from swallowing? He may just need more time though. I'll try to feed him when I get home and I'll give you an update. Thanks for the tip on the ph, I won't worry about it.

Unread 05/05/2017, 03:25 PM   #38
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Quote:
The coral beauty appears to be flashing...if I see a fish flashing, I wouldn't add them to the DT. I would try another round of prazi. If the goby is eating but his stomach is still indented internal parasites could be the reason he's not gaining wait.

Other than the flashing - the coral beauty looks good (weight wise). Given the flashing - I would put them through TTM, the lower salinity will also be good - but I always default to tank transfer for a preventative treatment of ich.
The goby has been slowly gaining weight so I think he is fine as far as internal parasites go. I did do a 3rd dose of prazi to be safe and the angels flashing continued, so I am almost certain it's ich. I would do the ttm but I literally just got layed off today due to the company being sold so I don't have the money for all the equipment I would need until I find another job sadly. I plan on keeping them in hypo for 5 weeks and then slowly raise the sg over the course of a week. I just don't understand why the angel hasn't showed any visible signs of ich. I have been watching them in qt at 1.019 for 4 and a half weeks and haven't seen a single spot. Since ich only attaches to a fish for 3-7 days then drops and multiplies, wouldn't the fish have showed at least one spot? I understand that ich can reside in the gills but I find it odd that the ich got in his gills but nowhere else in his body over the course of 5 weeks.

Unread 05/05/2017, 05:06 PM   #39
dweber618
Registered Member

While it does seem unusual I wouldn't rule out ich since you haven't seen it. If your fish is healthy enough - it may have some resistance and have a good enough immune system to fight it off. Your best option right now is to keep up with hypo and hope for the best. Ich does reside in the gills - so the flashing favoring the gills seems reasonable. Also - the severity of the infection can vary - fish can be completely covered and others can not show visible signs.

Given the issues with eating, I would advise against copper as it can cause fish to stop eating. Some people swear by garlic in that it helps boost fishes feeding response and helps boost the immune system. So you could try that as well.

Good luck!

Unread 05/05/2017, 05:07 PM   #40
dweber618
Registered Member

Also - while frustrating, it's good you are QT'ing. Personal experience - I've rushed things and ended up with multiple sick/dying fish because of not making sure my fish were healthy before going into the DT.

So - keep up the good work!

Unread 05/05/2017, 06:55 PM   #41
jubei2006
Registered Member

My first priority on quarantine would be to get the fish eating well. Without nutrition we can't expect y heir immune systems to help fight off disease. If there are no signs of disease, why treat instead of observe (coral beauty)? When everybody has recovered from shipping stress, then I would consider prophylactic parasiticides

jubei2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2017, 09:09 PM   #42
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Quote:
Personal experience - I've rushed things and ended up with multiple sick/dying fish because of not making sure my fish were healthy before going into the DT.

So - keep up the good work!
Thanks I appreciate it. I plan on getting a purple tang eventually so I want to make sure my tank is ich free when I get him. I make sure the fish are healthy before going in. I'll keep these guys in hypo for anothereef 5-6 weeks. The angel ate tonight so I think he was just stressed from the sg change. Although I did notice him stretching his gills, fins and mouth a few minutes ago. Could that be from the hypo or low ph? My nitrates are also high 50+. I am about to do a 3 gallon water change. I know 3 gallons isn't much but I need to make more rodi which takes a while haha.

Unread 05/05/2017, 09:14 PM   #43
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubei2006 View Post
My first priority on quarantine would be to get the fish eating well. Without nutrition we can't expect y heir immune systems to help fight off disease. If there are no signs of disease, why treat instead of observe (coral beauty)? When everybody has recovered from shipping stress, then I would consider prophylactic parasiticides
The fish have been eating for a few weeks now and they are well recovered from shipping. The coral beauty is showing sings of ich such as scratching his gills against the pvc so that's why I have them in hypo now. I was thinking of doing hypo from the start but the fish looked so healthy that I didn't. Turns out if I did i could've cut their qt time in half.

Unread 05/06/2017, 07:21 AM   #44
dxdoan
Registered Member

Awesome work with the QT but I just read that you wanted to introduce a purple tang in the future to your 75gallon.
I would not do this.

Current Tank Info: Cade HL1500 (5FT) - 160G/650L
dxdoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2017, 10:54 AM   #45
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdoan View Post
Awesome work with the QT but I just read that you wanted to introduce a purple tang in the future to your 75gallon.
I would not do this.
Its actually a 90 gallon. It was sold to me as a 75 but then I looked up the dimensions and it is a 90. 48x18x25. I understand that a 90 isn't the optimum environment for a purple tang, but I have done plenty of researich and they can definitely be happy in a 90g especially given the fact that I plan on lightly stocking this tank. The coral beauty, 2 clowns, the tang and the goby are all i plan on having. Eventually I am getting a 300g. That may be a couple years down the road though. Worst case scenario I will give him to my friend when he needs more space, but chances are he will be fine in my tank. I believe that a pb tang or a hippo wouldn't do good but they are much more active fish as they are Acanthurus, not zebrasoma which are grazers.

As far as my fish go, the quarantine was reading .25 ammonia this morning. I am currently out doing something so will the fish be fine at that level for another 10 hours before I can do a water change? They ate so they didn't seem too stressed. I am just worried that the little guys are gonna be dead when I get home.

Unread 05/07/2017, 08:50 AM   #46
Reefer1991
Registered Member

Well the ammonia is up to 0.5- 1.0. I just did a 50% wc and the ammonia level didn't budge. Keep in mind this is a cycled qt and from my understanding hypo doesn't kill the bacteria. Did I possibly shift the sg too quick? I'm not sure how I am going to get these fish through 5 weeks of hypo if the ammonia is going to be this high. They don't seem stressed at all but I doubt that will last for long so I have more sw mixing as I type.

Tags
coral beauty, fish not eating