Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/30/2016, 09:27 PM   #26
Trilabite
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerenceF View Post
Yes. I did. You are stating what we already do.

Some resellers will TRY and prevent customers returning abused items and then take the risk if they did not catch it. I can count those on one hand. The abuse is difficult to spot without opening things up and most do not want to do that and they also do not want to be on the hook if they miss something or their 17 year old worker does.

The second option is what we do now. We send a replacement out immediately after determining the item is faulty (on the phone) and take a credit card deposit.

There is no solution here that will make all customers happy and still make business sense for the retailers and the manufacturer.

Well an update from my end. I talked again to my fish store. (Who are awesome) and they said the hell with it and did the exchange. I guess they took on the risk?

Of course I didn't abuse this product, or swap boards (not sure what that is). All I did is open the box plug the dam thing in, following the usual instructions for firmware updates ect. And presto, Lemon....

I just got home with the exchanged version and it works fine. You can hear it in the noisy motor that the other one was bunk. The first one sounded like starting an engine in the extreme cold. And this one turns over just fine.

So I guess all is good? To be honest its the fish store that came through on this one not Neptune. I'm honestly worried to buy anything else now knowing that if I take it home plug it in and its bunk I'm stuck with it.

Its kinda too bad, I do like the hardware, and the people. But I feel like the customer is stuck with the risk for defective units. I need a new system for a new tank and its going to costs thousands. I just don't want this head ache again. I might go a different route and see how others manage this.

In a way bad customers have ruined this for not just other customers, but Neptune I would imagine this would turn off more then just myself. Would be interesting to know what would costs more. Having even a 24 hour exchange policy just so people can make sure what the spend their money on works, Or risking loosing said customers over a fish feeder.

Either way, its saddens me. I appreciate the efforts Neptune, but it's just not going to cut it for me. I guess it's up to others if they are willing to risk the hassle, specialy north of the border.

Trilabite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2017, 02:29 PM   #27
laverda
Registered Member

Seams to me that is what the store should have done to start with! They sold it to you and they know you. They are the ones you should have been unhappy with. Especially if you have "spent tens of thousands of dollars with them".
Having worked for one of the larger online aquarium suppliers I can tell you what Terence said about customers returning items fraudulently is 100% true. We would get items back that looked like they were 10 years old and covered in corrosion, while the customer states they are less the 30 days old. In some cases not even the same model we sold them.
It is not just in the aquarium hobby. Just look at all the big screen TVs and party snack in the Costco return lines after superbowl weekend. Like the company I worked for Costco takes the hit on these items. They can't go back on the shelf and are disposed of at big losses. That just drives the cost of everything up.

Terence on sugestion I would make is adding the water dection stickers, like on cell phones and cell phone batteries. Then any store or individual can tell if the item was droped in water. This would be of benifit to people buying used units as well.

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube

Last edited by laverda; 01/14/2017 at 02:42 PM.
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2017, 11:07 AM   #28
octopus737
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilabite View Post
Hello fellow fish friends. I apologize for the negative title but I just had a very disappointing experience with Neptune's "policies" First, credit due, yes I think their gear is good, and yes they seem nice enough in support.

But here's the thing. I purchased a AFS yesterday, I'm going away for the holidays and needed something to help my friend take care of the tank. So pulled the trigger on this device. Well to say the least I'm less than impressed.

Thing is a flat out dud right out of the box. Tried to actuate it once and the motor was barely turning over. Like it lacked in power (plugged into my neptune new gen). Okay so I try it again, maybe it was just breaking in. It made a sad attempt at a second go, gets out turns about 45 Degrees and then stops mid rotation. Now it's a brick doesn't do a thing. Frustrating and disappointing. Oh well I dont have the time but I guess I'm having to make an emergency trip back to the fish store before I leave for a week.

When I get to the store they apologize and say we're sorry we can't exchange it for you. I ask what do you mean?! I just got this yesterday, I can't exchange it for one that works??!!. He said NEPTUNE ONLY WARRANTIES DIRECT and WONT allow us to exchange here for you much to their frustration aswell. So I have to take this $130 dollar fish feeder I purchased just YESTERDAY, apply online for a warranty number and mail this thing back to Neptune so the can "evaluate" it.

I've seen this process used for higher end equipment, like60k servers, or studio gear. But not for a simple 100 buck fish feeder. I would understand after say a 4 week period I would have to then send it off. But not when it's a day old.

Does anyone else think this is BS? We all love their gear, (mostly) But we pay a premium for this stuff, and pay a little more at the local brick and mortar fish stores for the very reason. To not deal with hassles when stuff fails. So no customer satisfaction guaranteed??!! God forbid I was an important element that keeps your 240 tank alive.

Well looks like I have no choice, and ill have to just jump through these hoops. Whether or not I just sell off all my Neptune forever and move to something like Vertex will depend on how much MORE of a hassle it is with their warranty circus. I've been told it's good, better be haha, and shipping I assume they will pay?? Who the heck knows.

I'll update this post later and let people know how this turns out. Anyway, sorry for the rant here, but I was ****ed to say the least. Neptune if you read this take note. Im sure im not the only customers jaw you've dropped to the floor with this **** poor policy. Ridiculous hassle. Two thumbs down
Thats just the way life is. Once in a while in any product you get a bad one. Im sure they have a very low failure rate and it does happen. You just have to lick you wounds and move on and follow their protocol.

octopus737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2017, 01:51 PM   #29
chucklez
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laverda View Post
...Just look at all the big screen TVs and party snack in the Costco return lines after superbowl weekend. ...
Best time to go shopping for a new TV is not Black Friday. its Superbowl Monday!

Current Tank Info: 150g
chucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2017, 10:07 PM   #30
Settings
Registered Member

Know your consumer protection laws. There are ways to deal with this and it never ends well for the point of purchase retailer.

I would suggest that if they state such policy, not buy the item. There are always options and if the consumer would get smart, we would see a change.

Why try to punish the majority for the actions of a few?? Ask yourself if this is right?

Good luck

Unread 04/11/2017, 12:32 PM   #31
Trilabite
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laverda View Post
Seams to me that is what the store should have done to start with! They sold it to you and they know you. They are the ones you should have been unhappy with. Especially if you have "spent tens of thousands of dollars with them".
Having worked for one of the larger online aquarium suppliers I can tell you what Terence said about customers returning items fraudulently is 100% true. We would get items back that looked like they were 10 years old and covered in corrosion, while the customer states they are less the 30 days old. In some cases not even the same model we sold them.
It is not just in the aquarium hobby. Just look at all the big screen TVs and party snack in the Costco return lines after superbowl weekend. Like the company I worked for Costco takes the hit on these items. They can't go back on the shelf and are disposed of at big losses. That just drives the cost of everything up.

Terence on sugestion I would make is adding the water dection stickers, like on cell phones and cell phone batteries. Then any store or individual can tell if the item was droped in water. This would be of benifit to people buying used units as well.
I understand that. But I had the receipt less then 24 hours old. And I have returned other items to the store from other manufacturers. And no issues. They even called to get permission to accept it and Neptune said nope. If it was even 30 day I would be cool with sending it away. But this was not the case.

In the end the store came through and took it. But Neptune didnt change their position.

It was obvious to everyone involved that this was not a scam to return old gear. The receipt and the stores word to Neptune should have been enough.

Unread 04/12/2017, 09:08 AM   #32
keyman1848
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerenceF View Post
Yes. I did. You are stating what we already do.

Some resellers will TRY and prevent customers returning abused items and then take the risk if they did not catch it. I can count those on one hand. The abuse is difficult to spot without opening things up and most do not want to do that and they also do not want to be on the hook if they miss something or their 17 year old worker does.

The second option is what we do now. We send a replacement out immediately after determining the item is faulty (on the phone) and take a credit card deposit.

There is no solution here that will make all customers happy and still make business sense for the retailers and the manufacturer.
Terence,

I challenge you to look at other ways of handling this. There will always be abuses. Your policy is putting the LFS' at a disadvantage. People will soon realize they can buy online at Amazon and have an easier return/exchange. I don't think you want the number of retailers carrying your products to be whittled down to Amazon or WalMart.com.

Cell phones have a water indicator that shows if the unit has been submerged in water. Many computer parts have the serial number on the packaging and on the product itself. These things make it easier for the retailer to determine if it is a legitimate return. It may not be fun to devote some resources to this issue but its something that needs to be done.

keyman1848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2017, 08:50 AM   #33
jubjub47
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman1848 View Post
Terence,

I challenge you to look at other ways of handling this. There will always be abuses. Your policy is putting the LFS' at a disadvantage. People will soon realize they can buy online at Amazon and have an easier return/exchange. I don't think you want the number of retailers carrying your products to be whittled down to Amazon or WalMart.com.

Cell phones have a water indicator that shows if the unit has been submerged in water. Many computer parts have the serial number on the packaging and on the product itself. These things make it easier for the retailer to determine if it is a legitimate return. It may not be fun to devote some resources to this issue but its something that needs to be done.
Are you trying to say that Amazon will handle this return better than the LFS? Best case scenario you end up with the same amount of wait time having to mail the bad unit back to amazon and have them send you a new one. That is the same process to return it back to neptune for replacement. I don't see the advantage you somehow see.

jubjub47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2017, 11:39 AM   #34
Trilabite
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman1848 View Post
Terence,

Some great points. The Amazon would not be ideal as the burnt customer you're still having to send away and get a return. But absolutely their are other ways to deal with bad returns. Water indicators and serial numbers are a great way to go. Along with the receipt from the store complete with dates ect.

Unread 04/17/2017, 08:18 PM   #35
gotzilla35
Registered Member

I had a similar problem. I walked into my local fish store. Just chilling and chatting with the manager there i saw that silver new apex fusion complete kit... and asked they manager his opinion. Of course he said it was good product. The box had been opened and he said a customer had returned it. I took it anyway assuming that id try it and if it didnt function i could return it.

It had some problems... i assume that the previous person had tried to setup via wifi already and maybe had a password or something on it.... i had complained to the manager he said i should contact neptune myself and meanwhile he would contact the canada sales rep. Normally they should exchange the product right away to not turn off a customer....

But they made me wait. So i kept trying until it finally worked... the apex system is now in operation. Didnt need an exchange.

Im happy with the product. But the service and availability in canada sucks.

I had called neptune. A nice lady had picked up and she was very nice. No complaints.

Luckily the product works otherwise id be stuck for who know how long with a lemon.

Its not about the 1100 cad..... its about being an impatient hobbiest that wants to try the new toys asap....

Dont punish the customers that support your company. The manager at the fish store seemed abit held back.....
My company does well over 100 mil in sales annually. If i had treated my customer like how i was treated i be psst. Ive spent a couple k there at that store already. Lol

Sorry just ranting. Lol

gotzilla35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2017, 12:34 PM   #36
Trilabite
Registered Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzilla35 View Post
I had a similar problem. I walked into my local fish store. Just chilling and chatting with the manager there i saw that silver new apex fusion complete kit... and asked they manager his opinion. Of course he said it was good product. The box had been opened and he said a customer had returned it. I took it anyway assuming that id try it and if it didnt function i could return it.

It had some problems... i assume that the previous person had tried to setup via wifi already and maybe had a password or something on it.... i had complained to the manager he said i should contact neptune myself and meanwhile he would contact the canada sales rep. Normally they should exchange the product right away to not turn off a customer....

But they made me wait. So i kept trying until it finally worked... the apex system is now in operation. Didnt need an exchange.

Im happy with the product. But the service and availability in canada sucks.

I had called neptune. A nice lady had picked up and she was very nice. No complaints.

Luckily the product works otherwise id be stuck for who know how long with a lemon.

Its not about the 1100 cad..... its about being an impatient hobbiest that wants to try the new toys asap....

Dont punish the customers that support your company. The manager at the fish store seemed abit held back.....
My company does well over 100 mil in sales annually. If i had treated my customer like how i was treated i be psst. Ive spent a couple k there at that store already. Lol

Sorry just ranting. Lol
Thanks for sharing! Its good to know I'm not alone. And its true everything about Neptune has been great. The people are nice, the equipment is "mostly" great. Its just the risk to buy new gear is so high. And as you said specially in Canada. And when you need to purchase gear to keep your tank alive. In many cases time is critical and customers dont have the time to mess around with mailing brand new faulty equipment to another country and back. My poor fish need to eat when im away!

Unread 04/24/2017, 10:23 PM   #37
CODE3EMT
Registered Member

Well after reading all this I guess I'll pass on the Fluid Monitoring module. Not willing to take that chance and I live in California. Sorry Neptune, but on the bright side I love your APEX Jr, WXM, ALD, and DOS unit. That's where I'll draw the line. Shoot that sucks, I was looking forward to the FMM.

CODE3EMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2017, 07:59 PM   #38
BlueRoofTang
Registered Member

It sounds more like it's the store that the problem is with, not so much Neptune.

Just a FYI...anything bought with a VISA card has something like a 90 day return policy....regardless of what the retailer tells you otherwise. For example, I bought a Dell computer, and for over a month, was unable to get it to print. Dell wanted me to pay extra for them to help me since I didn't have a Dell printer. They told me I couldn't return it because it was past their 30 day return policy. I called the bank and got instructions on how to send it back, dispute the charge, and get my money back.

Hope Terrance got you taken care of on this issue. I haven't dealt with any of their policies...but I can say I absolutely love the new Neptune Apex system!!! I wish I had gotten one long ago. This is my first controller and I'm amazed at how easy it is to set up and customize.

Terrance...what's the latest on the dkh monitoring that Neptune got the rights for? It would be awesome if it was coupled with a DOS pump system.

BlueRoofTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2017, 01:44 PM   #39
Antipodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODE3EMT View Post
Well after reading all this I guess I'll pass on the Fluid Monitoring module. Not willing to take that chance and I live in California. Sorry Neptune, but on the bright side I love your APEX Jr, WXM, ALD, and DOS unit. That's where I'll draw the line. Shoot that sucks, I was looking forward to the FMM.
I don't have the FMM, but everything I have read so far indicates that it is a pretty solid unit and there are very few issues.
If you need it (or want it I guess) then don't rely on one particular thread to make your decision.
I personally will be acquiring it, as soon as I can afford the unit and the costs of re-plumbing my system to accommodate the sensors I want to put in.

Antipodes is offline   Reply With Quote