Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/20/2017, 12:36 PM   #76
VanJuKy
Registered Member

I just purchased a Tradewinds Chiller. 1/3 HP (Super) Inline. - It is rated for 400 gallons.
I am debating whether it is enough or if I should go with the 1/2 HP? System volume will be 400 gallons but we don't have the heat and humidity here as many of you have. The worst I would expect for heat in Vancouver would be 95F. It will be plumbed in the garage beside the mixing stations to keep heat out of the house. I have not decided how to feed it. I have a Reef Dart that I can use although I don't like the idea of drilling into my sump. Perhaps a Vectra L1 or M1 will be used. It will keep noise to a minimum.

I like the idea of using this brand due to the ability of any HVAC technician being able to repair it in home.

I haven't shared a full list of items I have bought (so far) or ordered and will be using.

Tank is going to be LPS, SPS, Acans and Zoas.

Tank
Custom made 300 gallon all glass tank.
  • 250 lbs of Real Reef Rock
  • 120 pounds Carib Sea Reef Sand

Sump
Royal Exclusive Dream Box
  • 5 litre Reactor
  • 2 litre Reactor
  • Vertex Alpha 250 Skimmer

Here is a picture of some items.

5 Radion XRW30 Pros - Possibly a couple Kessils added in for increased shimmer effect. I am building an automated remote control lift with actuators for the aluminum rack.

Monitoring and Control
Apex Gold with the following.
  • DOS
  • DDR
  • Lab Grade PH
  • ORP
  • Temp
  • Conductivity with 2nd Temp sensor
  • Auto Feed
  • ALD
  • WXM - Vortech Control

Ecotech Reeflink

Seneye Reef with Web server
  • Mainly for being alerted for Ammonia spikes. Should there be a death that I don't notice, I want to be alerted for any issues.

Water movement
  • Ecotech Vectra LI - Return to tank.
  • Ecotech Vectra M1 - Reactors
  • Ecotech MPQ40
  • Maxspect Gyre 280

Water makeup
  • Spectrapure RO/DI
  • Reef Genesis with:
  • Storm
  • Renew

Additional:
Coraline Turbo Twist 36 watt UV Sterilizer

20 gallon refugium above sump. It will allow removal of a small amount of nutrients by harvesting Chaeto. Its main role, will be to allow a large pod population to grow and replenish the tank. I know I could benefit from a marge larger one but that requires putting it in the crawlspace below. I am not sure I want to do this.

Backup Power - Honeywell Generator 22kw with auto transfer.

Notes
  • If the Two part gets too expensive (which would be a sign of good things) I will opt for a reactor and save the DOS and DDR for other dosing.
  • I wonder if I should purchase the Vortech MPQ60 and use it or use it with the 40.

I am sure I have missed some so I will update this list as I remember.

Any feedback is welcome.

Last edited by VanJuKy; 02/20/2017 at 12:41 PM.
VanJuKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2017, 12:37 PM   #77
VanJuKy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrayolaViolence View Post
Very nice.
Thanks CrayolaViolence!

Unread 02/21/2017, 12:58 PM   #78
VanJuKy
Registered Member

More pics.

Moved some furniture back in and taped a plastic barrier between kitchen and family room while kitchen is being worked on. The door for the fish room can be closed now.
The tank still needs a door up top. I will get that finished shortly.

There are some Polk Audio (higher end of their line) speakers in the walls and ceiling throughout. On the topic of ceiling, I forgot to take a pic before the drywall went up, but I ran ducting from the center of the tank, all the way to the exterior of the house to handle humidity over the tank.

The bar cabinets have been altered, painted and a new granite top and a tiled backsplash installed. I cut and polished the granite countertop myself with a grinder and several discs ranging from a diamond cutting wheel, 100 - 3000 grit discs and a final buff disc. I will put some cool wine racks on the left and right walls of the bar space.
Installed a Kitchen Aid wine fridge. So quiet you can not even hear it when its on. Amazing.

Fish room looking out. Backside of the stereo closet. New door will get built over it as well.

New cabinets for the new washer and dryer. I bought the pantry unfinished and built the counter/cabinet for the washer dryer. Wife picked out the blue. They are quite nice looking compared to the old ones we had.

Last edited by VanJuKy; 02/21/2017 at 01:21 PM.
Unread 02/22/2017, 08:23 AM   #79
scar79
Registered Member

As long as you keep your house at a reasonable temperature, that chiller will be adequate. Manufacturers need to rate these assuming the system is running metal halide lighting and power hungry pumps. The more important metric which the manufacturer should be able to provide is the chillers drop down ability. Let's say your equipment room runs at 80f ambient. With the equipment you've selected, I doubt your tank would run much above 85. As long as your chillers drop down of your systems overall volume is greater than say, 10f, it'll have no problem keeping you at 78-79.

I'm looking at aqua logics delta star product info and their 1/3hp (4050btu) can drop 389 gallons 10 degrees. 778 gallons 5 degrees. You won't need more chill down more than that unless something is wrong, and then your non essential heat sources should be shutting down as well, keeping the tanks natural temp closer to ambient.

If you go with a larger chiller, you then take on a small amount of risk in the other direction - if the chiller fails on (and I've seen this happen a few times) it can drive your tank temp lower and at a faster rate, giving you less time to react.

Hope this helps

scar79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2017, 09:39 AM   #80
anbosu
Registered Member

With that equipment list, unless you're running really high wattage halides I don't think you'll need the chiller much. To give you an idea, I lived in Florida for 11 years and never needed a chiller on my tanks.

anbosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2017, 01:41 PM   #81
serenity
Registered Member

everything is looking great!!

Unread 02/22/2017, 02:18 PM   #82
VanJuKy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar79 View Post
As long as you keep your house at a reasonable temperature, that chiller will be adequate. Manufacturers need to rate these assuming the system is running metal halide lighting and power hungry pumps. The more important metric which the manufacturer should be able to provide is the chillers drop down ability. Let's say your equipment room runs at 80f ambient. With the equipment you've selected, I doubt your tank would run much above 85. As long as your chillers drop down of your systems overall volume is greater than say, 10f, it'll have no problem keeping you at 78-79.

I'm looking at aqua logics delta star product info and their 1/3hp (4050btu) can drop 389 gallons 10 degrees. 778 gallons 5 degrees. You won't need more chill down more than that unless something is wrong, and then your non essential heat sources should be shutting down as well, keeping the tanks natural temp closer to ambient.

If you go with a larger chiller, you then take on a small amount of risk in the other direction - if the chiller fails on (and I've seen this happen a few times) it can drive your tank temp lower and at a faster rate, giving you less time to react.

Hope this helps
Thanks! I will go back and look at the specs more closely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbosu View Post
With that equipment list, unless you're running really high wattage halides I don't think you'll need the chiller much. To give you an idea, I lived in Florida for 11 years and never needed a chiller on my tanks.
You are right. I don't expect to need it much. Every now and again we get a good heat wave and it has caused problems in the past. I was using 3 175 watt halides over a 120 gallon tank but only managed to keep it down with a 1/4 hp chiller. Before the chiller I did have a time where it went up to 88F and I lost some corals. I do some travelling in the summer and I want to make sure I have my bases covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenity View Post
everything is looking great!!
Thanks!

Unread 02/22/2017, 02:20 PM   #83
dave.m
Registered Member

The couch placement appears to be in error.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2017, 03:18 PM   #84
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post

Dave.M

+5 (cause one just wasn't enough)

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef tank
CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2017, 03:40 PM   #85
VanJuKy
Registered Member

Quote:

Dave.M
Quote:
+5 (cause one just wasn't enough)
Which way do you think it should go? Spin it 90 clockwise?

We might replace it with something different. Maybe a single couch or two love seats. I will put a video up why.

Last edited by VanJuKy; 02/22/2017 at 03:50 PM.
Unread 02/22/2017, 04:59 PM   #86
VanJuKy
Registered Member

This is why I can't move that particular couch 90 or 180 degrees. Looking at furniture options.

Last edited by VanJuKy; 02/22/2017 at 05:11 PM.
Unread 02/22/2017, 05:06 PM   #87
VanJuKy
Registered Member

Lots more tiling.

Microwave has new stainless surround trim on order from California.

Also the new matching granite has been installed. Not easy matching pieces. Even the slightest difference in shade makes it look off.

Building the built in cabinet for the new fridge.

Unread 02/22/2017, 11:10 PM   #88
dave.m
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanJuKy
Which way do you think it should go?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m
Well, clearly the tank is the focal point of the whole room. It should be fairly obvious that the seating arrangement needs to be centred on that.

I'm not sure what the significance of the drop-down screen is. Holiday slides? Super-8 reels, perhaps?

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2017, 11:11 PM   #89
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

Quote:
I'm not sure what the significance of the drop-down screen is. Holiday slides? Super-8 reels, perhaps?
HAHA Funny. I get the screen. How will the light pollution be during a move though?

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2017, 11:43 PM   #90
VanJuKy
Registered Member

Quote:
Well, clearly the tank is the focal point of the whole room. It should be fairly obvious that the seating arrangement needs to be centred on that.

Dave.M
Lol, no holiday slides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm5406 View Post
HAHA Funny. I get the screen. How will the light pollution be during a move though?
Blinds. We also only watch movies at night. Our home is up away from the light pollution of the city. I even use a 9.25" lens astronomical telescope at night in my backyard.

That and the new projectors are absolutely amazing. Clear and bright with high contrast ratios.

Unread 02/23/2017, 03:34 AM   #91
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

Turn the couch toward the tank. That's the only thing you need to be watching

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef tank
CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 07:40 AM   #92
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanJuKy View Post
Blinds. We also only watch movies at night. Our home is up away from the light pollution of the city. I even use a 9.25" lens astronomical telescope at night in my backyard.

That and the new projectors are absolutely amazing. Clear and bright with high contrast ratios.
I meant from the tank. LOL

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 01:01 PM   #93
christ_pro
Registered Member

nice built, looking forward for more pictures

christ_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 04:47 PM   #94
VanJuKy
Registered Member

Quote:
Turn the couch toward the tank. That's the only thing you need to be watching
I know, I know. There is something to be said about having a couch up near the tank though. Rather then seeing everything from a distance all the time, you get to sit and watch things from up close. Watching all the animals is pretty cool.

I think maybe two love seats parallel with the tank on each side of the room would be good. Possibly with a chair between them.

Unread 02/23/2017, 04:48 PM   #95
VanJuKy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm5406 View Post
I meant from the tank. LOL
Okay gotcha. Lol

Unread 02/23/2017, 04:49 PM   #96
VanJuKy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christ_pro View Post
nice built, looking forward for more pictures
Thanks! Glad to have you following.

Unread 02/24/2017, 04:34 PM   #97
VanJuKy
Registered Member

Some pictures of the bar. Wine racks installed. Now my wife can unwind when she sees the bills for the equipment that is rolling in.

The picture is from BC First Nations artist Andy Everson. It is titled "New Beginnings". It is his representation of Salmon eggs.

For comparison, here is the old bar.

Last edited by VanJuKy; 02/24/2017 at 04:39 PM.
Unread 02/24/2017, 09:09 PM   #98
GQuinn
Registered Member

Very nice. Are you doing most of the remodel yourself?

GQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2017, 09:35 PM   #99
VanJuKy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQuinn View Post
Very nice. Are you doing most of the remodel yourself?
Thanks! Yes all of it myself. House prices are insane in Vancouver so my mortgage payment is pretty hefty. I can't afford to hire anyone.

Unread 02/27/2017, 11:47 AM   #100
VanJuKy
Registered Member

Just a few pics. Lots of work including floor tiling and paint completed.

Fish room (laundry side). Was this.

Now this.

Fridge stuck out so bad and was just in such an awkward position.

Pantry was this.

Bought new appliances including a built in fridge. The fridge now looks like this.