Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/21/2017, 07:34 AM   #2001
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcoopertag View Post
Hey Dennis can I assume that you are no longer going to use the Triton Method? I was just getting ready to start it myself but not sure that I want to now.
Correct, I'm currently dosing two-part and will eventually get a CaRx again.
Also switched back to a berlin style sump from LifeReef.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2017, 09:20 AM   #2002
drummerboyevil
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Correct, I'm currently dosing two-part and will eventually get a CaRx again.
Also switched back to a berlin style sump from LifeReef.
No reappearance of dinos?

drummerboyevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2017, 05:24 PM   #2003
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboyevil View Post
No reappearance of dinos?
Sorry, I missed this! No dinos.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Unread 08/06/2017, 05:26 PM   #2004
d2mini
Registered Member

Here's some FTS from today. Just over 4 months since the restart.
Color is ok for the most part. Growth could use a kick in the pants but technically the tank is only 4 months old, so....

Unread 08/06/2017, 07:53 PM   #2005
deaclauderdale
Lover of Fishies

Looking good Dennis! Where is that mangrove growing out of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 70 reef tank, 2 Gen 2 Radions, BM Curve7 Skimmer
deaclauderdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2017, 08:40 PM   #2006
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaclauderdale View Post
Looking good Dennis! Where is that mangrove growing out of?

It came out of my office nano recently.
Too short for the roots to reach ground and it had to be placed along the edge of the tank (rather than the middle where it could reach rock) because of the screen top, so I tied it to my corner overflow.
I'm hoping the move didn't stress it out. Seems ok so far. Been a couple weeks.

Unread 08/06/2017, 09:58 PM   #2007
deaclauderdale
Lover of Fishies

Quote:
It came out of my office nano recently.

Too short for the roots to reach ground and it had to be placed along the edge of the tank (rather than the middle where it could reach rock) because of the screen top, so I tied it to my corner overflow.

I'm hoping the move didn't stress it out. Seems ok so far. Been a couple weeks.

It looks so natural.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 70 reef tank, 2 Gen 2 Radions, BM Curve7 Skimmer
deaclauderdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2017, 08:00 AM   #2008
Wazzel
Registered Member

Really nice Dennis.

Beware the light at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes it's a train.

Current Tank Info: 120, LED, Bare Bottom, SPS/LPS
Wazzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2017, 09:21 AM   #2009
d2mini
Registered Member

Thanks, guys.
One thing I've been fighting with, maybe ya'll can think of something...

I've used AquaVitro Salinity for years, and ever since I restarted the tank and made the switch to the ESV Bionic 2-Part, Mag was just a little high. Then I recently tried a couple boxes of Fritz RPM. On my second box is when I noticed the extremely high mag around 1650-1700 (confirmed with multiple test kits). I tested the fresh mix and it was over 1800. So now I’m using the Red Sea blue bucket (for a few weeks now) because everything is real close to NSW. Hoping it comes down over time but so far it seems to be staying up there. I do daily auto water changes spread out throughout the day. Total of about 4-5g per day.

Can mag come from any other source?
It's not being dosed. Only ESV Alk and Cal.

Some say high mag is fine, other say long term exposure can weaken skeletons.
It makes me nervous and I question it when I see something not well with the tank since everything else is spot on.
My Alk is around 8.0 and Cal around 450.

Unread 08/07/2017, 10:06 AM   #2010
CoralNerd
Registered Member

I wouldn't worry about high mag personally.
Fritz is in the process of lowering a few things, magnesium, and boron are two that I know of.

CoralNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2017, 02:23 PM   #2011
Chicagoreef2016
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks, guys.

I've used AquaVitro Salinity for years, and ever since I restarted the tank and made the switch to the ESV Bionic 2-Part, Mag was just a little high. Then I recently tried a couple boxes of Fritz RPM. On my second box is when I noticed the extremely high mag around 1650-1700 (confirmed with multiple test kits). I tested the fresh mix and it was over 1800. So now I’m using the Red Sea blue bucket (for a few weeks now) because everything is real close to NSW. Hoping it comes down over time but so far it seems to be staying up there. I do daily auto water changes spread out throughout the day. Total of about 4-5g per day.

It makes me nervous and I question it when I see something not well with the tank since everything else is spot on.
Sorry if I missed this earlier, but why did you switch away from Salinity salt? I have used it for a year and like it fine, outside of if you let it mix for a few days it coats your container with condensate. Just found an old thread on clay-boa from the manufacturer saying only mix for up to 24 hours...

Unread 08/08/2017, 06:30 AM   #2012
choss
Registered Member

Dennis,

Things are looking good! I have a similar mangrove growing out of the back of my AIO 40 gallon cube at the moment. Have been debating whether to add it to my new 96 gallon which I am setting up at the moment. Seeing this picture has me thinking it would go perfectly.

Reef Savvy 96 Gallon Rimless Tank - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2643140

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy 96
choss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2017, 09:31 AM   #2013
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoreef2016 View Post
Sorry if I missed this earlier, but why did you switch away from Salinity salt? I have used it for a year and like it fine, outside of if you let it mix for a few days it coats your container with condensate. Just found an old thread on clay-boa from the manufacturer saying only mix for up to 24 hours...
Was just trying something new. Fritz is cheap. Get what ya pay for I guess.
My LFS ended up testing my salt and it tested high in Mag for him too.
Fritz didn't seem to give a carp.

Unread 08/13/2017, 09:39 AM   #2014
d2mini
Registered Member

How about some new coral photos? :-)
Some old stuff, some new stuff.

Unread 08/13/2017, 12:02 PM   #2015
mikeatjac
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks, guys.

I have been using Red Sea blue bucket for since January and it mixes where I want all my peramiters to be. Tank is looking special!

Unread 08/13/2017, 05:54 PM   #2016
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeatjac View Post
I have been using Red Sea blue bucket for since January and it mixes where I want all my peramiters to be. Tank is looking special!
Thanks!
Still can't get my Mag down. It's staying rock solid at 1650.

Unread 08/13/2017, 05:59 PM   #2017
d2mini
Registered Member

Here's some more coral...

Unread 08/13/2017, 09:41 PM   #2018
reefwars
Registered Member

Dennis tank looks great , for the mag how about just doing a larger water change with a batch of salt that has a very low mag maybe your lfs can score you a couple scoops of something cheap then take up smaller water changes after that with your new salt from there?

reefwars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2017, 11:30 PM   #2019
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Really surprised to hear about Fritz. My bucket has been spot on for me. It is probably my second favorite salt so far. I really enjoyed, and may go back to, ESV's multi part system. Once you know the measurements to use it is amazing stuff. Super clean and you basically control the parameters to a small degree.

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 08:23 AM   #2020
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
Dennis tank looks great , for the mag how about just doing a larger water change with a batch of salt that has a very low mag maybe your lfs can score you a couple scoops of something cheap then take up smaller water changes after that with your new salt from there?
I'm trying to keep things as stable as possible and not sure there is anything else that is real low in mag and has lower alk/calc too.
A 100% water change with my current salt would probably work best but don't think I really want to do that either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post
Really surprised to hear about Fritz. My bucket has been spot on for me. It is probably my second favorite salt so far. I really enjoyed, and may go back to, ESV's multi part system. Once you know the measurements to use it is amazing stuff. Super clean and you basically control the parameters to a small degree.
Yeah, i'm not the only one who had this problem. Lots of reports of inconsistencies came out on my local FB group when discussing it.
When this happened to me with Tropic Marin, they jumped on it and took care of me hooking me up with a free bucket of salt and recommending i use the standard version which is lower in Mag. Good customer service.

The ESV I tried once before but its not for me. Too much work.

Unread 08/14/2017, 08:47 AM   #2021
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
I'm trying to keep things as stable as possible and not sure there is anything else that is real low in mag and has lower alk/calc too.
A 100% water change with my current salt would probably work best but don't think I really want to do that either.

Yeah, i'm not the only one who had this problem. Lots of reports of inconsistencies came out on my local FB group when discussing it.
When this happened to me with Tropic Marin, they jumped on it and took care of me hooking me up with a free bucket of salt and recommending i use the standard version which is lower in Mag. Good customer service.

The ESV I tried once before but its not for me. Too much work.
Yeah I read about the inconsistency after I saw your post. Luckily, my current bucket will last me a while. Hopefully, Fritz figures it out because it's a major black eye when you tout how great your product is because you only make one. Then your one salt product has issues.

This is for another topic but why is making a good, consistent salt so tough for all of them? Every salt company seems to mess with something and run into issues IME. Maybe there is something to just sticking with regular old, cheap IO salt. If they are all going to have issues that we, the end user, have to fix then the cheapest makes sense...

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 08:54 AM   #2022
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post
This is for another topic but why is making a good, consistent salt so tough for all of them? Every salt company seems to mess with something and run into issues IME. Maybe there is something to just sticking with regular old, cheap IO salt. If they are all going to have issues that we, the end user, have to fix then the cheapest makes sense...
Yup, good question.
FWIW, my most consistent and trouble free salt has always been Salinity. Pricey, but I always seem to end up going back to it. Have used it for about 95% of my last 5 years of reefing.

Unread 08/14/2017, 09:03 AM   #2023
choss
Registered Member

Been using Tropic Marin Pro and always happy with it. Dennis great coral shots! Things are looking up!

Reef Savvy 96 Gallon Rimless Tank - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2643140

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy 96
choss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 04:23 PM   #2024
HidingReefer
Registered Member

Wow....those SPS are popping!

HidingReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 07:28 PM   #2025
SPotter
Registered Member

wow dennis everything looks amazing. I tried finding what light program you are running with the radions but couldnt find it so, what program are you using?

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote