Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/10/2012, 09:07 PM   #1
ccwbank
Registered Member

Issue with Hanna Alkalinity Checker?

Anyone had an issue with a brand new Hanna checker? I ran a test on my tank and each time get a reading of "0"...which is in ppm. I then ran a test on a fresh batch of seawater and got a reading of "1" ppm. 1ppm = 0.02 meq/L or 0.056 dkh.

I've seen all the online tips and videos about being very precise in your measurements and feel I'm at a dead-end with this unit.

As a cross reference I tested both tank water and a fresh batch of seawater with some API 5-in-1 test strips and get normal ALK readings.

ccwbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2012, 01:48 PM   #2
tmulrney
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwbank View Post
Anyone had an issue with a brand new Hanna checker? I ran a test on my tank and each time get a reading of "0"...which is in ppm. I then ran a test on a fresh batch of seawater and got a reading of "1" ppm. 1ppm = 0.02 meq/L or 0.056 dkh.

I've seen all the online tips and videos about being very precise in your measurements and feel I'm at a dead-end with this unit.

As a cross reference I tested both tank water and a fresh batch of seawater with some API 5-in-1 test strips and get normal ALK readings.
I have three Hanna checkers and personally only experienced this once.....when I didn't do the test correctly. Trying to remember now what I did wrong, but I think I used RO instead of tank water by mistake. Make sure you are doing the test correctly.

tmulrney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2012, 03:58 PM   #3
bertoni
RC Mod

I can't comment much. Your meter might be bad, or there might have been some simple mistake made. I can't tell which, but people usually report better results than that for this meter, but I've never used one.

Unread 09/11/2012, 04:02 PM   #4
OKDOHK
Registered Member

i would agree. Likely you are missing a step somewhere. How much of the reagent are you adding? Are you calibrating (C1) with normal saltwater first before adding reagent for C2 step? Worst case, take the tester to someone that uses the same product and have them test with yours.

OKDOHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2012, 07:04 PM   #5
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

not sure how ur performing the test but this is how i do it.
1. sample water from tank and C1 zero the meter.
2. add 1ml of reagent and shake it for few.
3. C2 reading should be ur result in ppm
multiply the reading with 0.056 to get dkh.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2012, 07:26 PM   #6
andyrm66
Registered Member

I power on the meter, then when it blinks c1, add tank water, then wait then add 1ml reagent, then turn vial upside down 4 times,hold button until timer starts, then after countdown is done flip vial twice, them hit button and take reading.

andyrm66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2012, 07:41 PM   #7
taylorjonl
Registered Member

Here are the instructions for using this meter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO0XI...layer_embedded

taylorjonl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2012, 09:26 PM   #8
taylorjonl
Registered Member

I just opened my alkalinity checker, got that along with the iodine tester today in the mail. I have to say I am impressed, measured 152ppm or 8.5dkh. I check this against my API test kit along with some test strips, all measurements supported each other.

I also own the phosphate and I have a calcium checker coming tomorrow. The only way to test IMO, I hate the color card comparisons with a passion.

taylorjonl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2021, 10:27 AM   #9
taeto1
Registered Member

I am having the same issue ith my Hanna Tester.
I do the test various times and it give me 0 as a result.
Only on 1 ocation did it give me the correct reading of 140
I will try to switch out the battery see if that helps

taeto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2021, 01:05 PM   #10
Sk8r
RC Mod

I prefer Salifert for alk-cal. You get a numerical result pdq. You do have to watch expiration date, but that's in years, not months.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2021, 10:15 AM   #11
Timfish
Registered Member

I like API alkalinity. I got a Hanna ALklinity and checked it agianst a freinds. Using both reagents in both testers with the same water sample gave 4 different numbers with .9 dKH between the high and low. Needless to say I wasn't impressed. It doesn't help that Hanna had some bad reagent that caused people t needlessly screw with their alkalinity. Other test kits are cheaper and simpler and multiple test kits can be used to increase confidance in the results. Another practice I do is always test new kits against old kits to make sure the old reagent hasn't degraded.

Unread 01/15/2021, 12:37 PM   #12
Sk8r
RC Mod

A good idea to write the expiration date in marker pen on the boxes of reef chemicals. You can really mess your tank up if you chase bad test results.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote