Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/20/2014, 09:24 PM   #1
caribfan
Registered Member

Butterflytown - 240 FOWLR

Nuts and Bolts

Nearly eighteen months ago, I made the six hour trip over to Chicago, IL from southwest Ohio to purchase my "new to me" Miracles 240 gallon tank.

The tank is 72" L x 32"H x 30" D with an external overflow, at least I think. I went to measure it a few minutes ago and spent ten minutes looking and couldn't find any of my three tape measures...I'm pretty positive those are the dimensions though.

Either way, it is finally up and running. I built the stand myself, which was a massive headache. I am a novice wood worker and took the time to mill the dimensional lumber, worthless endeavor. The lumber had moved by the time I got home from my cousins shop, but I was able to make it work. I built the stand from 2 x 6's and I think my design is different from most, my goal was to eliminate the vertical supports in the middle, I will post pictures of it at some point if anyone is interested.

The filter is also DIY, but loosely based off of the Royal Exclusiv Dreambox design. I would love to have a dreambox, but unfortunately the shipping costs just don't make sense at the moment. My plan is to have a 300 micron filter bank, followed by a 100 micron filter bank, room for the skimmer return and maybe some reactors and then the outake for the return pump. I had to use a 50 breeder as space was limited.

The return pump is a blue line 55HD. I think i'm getting about 3 - 4x tank turnover.

The work horse of the system is my Euroreef RC500.2 skimmer. I bought this used from another RC member, and like everything else with this build so far, there have been issues there as well. The skimmer arrived heavily damaged (not the fault of the RC guy), and took some serious work to get it operational. It's working like a champ now.

I purchased two used Gen 1 Radions, again from another RC member and those are providing the lighting for my tank. I'm very happy with these lights, though I had some initial struggles getting them programmed. I also bought the upgraded TIR lenses from Dmorty (thanks BTW). No intentions of keeping coral right now, I just wanted a sleek looking light that was programmable/dimmable.

Most of the live rock is from my previous 120 FOWLR with some added rock from several other broken down tanks. It has all sat fallow for somewhere between 6 - 18 months in rubbermaid trash cans. I wanted to create a canyon running through the tank and failed miserably, but I think i'm somewhat happy with how it ended up. I did want to create an overhang and I was successful at that; hopefully my fish enjoy it.

Attempted Canyon

Initial Overhang - it looks different now.

Fullish Tank Shot

Lastly, would be the overflow. I have three holes in the overflow box and decided to go with a modified version of the "silent and Failsafe/Beanimal design". I could not be happier with this, it is so quiet and truly eliminates almost all of the sound. I still need to add the emergency stand pipe for anyone that notices that.

Upcoming Equipment

There are still a few items needed before I'm complete on the equipment side of life.

I plan to add two Ecotech MP40s around Christmas time.

Sooner than later I need to add an ATO system, I'm planning to go with Avast. The tank is in my basement and I plan to have the Water Reservoir in a non-finished part of my basement and run the line through my ceiling.

Also need to add an Avast Swabbie, this will be the next thing I buy. The skimmer barely fits under my stand and cleaning it is kind of a pain. I plan to add a swabbie in the next few weeks.

I may add a media reactor at some point, though it's lower on the priority list. I've never run a reactor before, just typically GAC bags. I think I will probably end up running GFO and GAC at some point.

Current Tank Info:
50 Breeder Quarantine Tank, 240 Miracles Finally up and running, 29 Biocube - AI Nano
caribfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2014, 10:07 PM   #2
rpjaws74
Registered Member

very good start man!!

Current Tank Info: 500 glln system/ Reef
rpjaws74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2014, 01:43 AM   #3
kw22
Registered Member

Can't wait to see this thing to stocked with fish.

Current Tank Info: All freshwater at the moment.Hoping to set up a marine tank in the future.
kw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2014, 06:15 AM   #4
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Nice system! So happy to see another butterfly aficionado setting up a tank Don't forget the battery backup for one of the Vortechs

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Current Tank Info: 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2014, 07:31 AM   #5
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw22 View Post
Can't wait to see this thing to stocked with fish.
Thanks, me either.

Current Tank Info:
50 Breeder Quarantine Tank, 240 Miracles Finally up and running, 29 Biocube - AI Nano
Unread 09/21/2014, 07:34 AM   #6
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
Nice system! So happy to see another butterfly aficionado setting up a tank Don't forget the battery backup for one of the Vortechs
Thanks Peter, if i'm honest, your FOWLR has been my inspiration for a lot of this.

I plan to do battery back ups first, but I also want a generator that I can power the tank with. My neighborhood is older and has all the power lines above ground, well within striking range of a lot of trees. In the seven years that I have lived here, we have had three extended power outages lasting more than 4 days, one lasting as long as 10.

I'll do a longer post with planned and current live stock this afternoon.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 09/21/2014, 07:37 AM   #7
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Thanks, that's very kind of you!

Oh, then yes, a generator is a must in your area. Longest I've been out of power in all my years in San Diego was about 12 or so, so the battery backup has always been more than sufficient.

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

Unread 09/21/2014, 07:42 AM   #8
caribfan
Registered Member

How long do they work for? I assume they are rechargeable?

I'm considering switching pumps at some point to one of the controllable DC pumps, I wonder if they have battery back ups?

Current Tank Info:
Unread 09/21/2014, 07:52 AM   #9
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Anyone familiar with electrical stuff will be able to tell you have to set up a battery backup for something. I'm not that guy

The vortech automatically goes into a power saving mode when the battery kicks in... it's supposed to last up to 36 hours or something like that.

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

Unread 09/21/2014, 01:38 PM   #10
caribfan
Registered Member

Who lives here? - Livestock

The majority of the inhabitants in this tank are going to be butterflies. There will be a few other odds and ends that I add to the fray as well such as anthias, tilefish, a trigger and puffer and damsels.

Currently, the livestock that I own are as follows:

Arothron Nigropunctatus - Black Dog Face Puffer
Xanthichthys auromarginatus - Blue Throat Trigger (I've had this guy since before my oldest son was born, going on 4 years.)
Chrysiptera Starcki - Starcki Damsel
Chrysiptera Talboti - Talbots Damsel x 4 (These were the first marine fish I owned when I got into the hobby)
Paracentropyge Venustus - Venustus Angel x 3
Centropyge Eibli - Eibli Angel
Pygoplites diacanthus - Regal Angel (yellow belly, not Red Sea)
Chaetodon Semilarvatus- Semilarvatus Butterfly
Chaetodon Rainfordi - Rainfordi Butterfly
Chaetodon Flavirostris - Dusky Butterfly
Chaetondon Octofasciatus - Eightlined Butterfly
Hemitaurichthys Polylepis - Pyramid Butterfly x 2
Acanthurus Achilles - Achilles Tang

Currently, the only inhabitants in the display tank are the three Venustus angels and the Eightlined butterfly.

Hanging out in one of the many caves.

Probably my best shot of the day.

Stop looking at me swan...

One more from the group...

Full Tank Shot

Ledge - looks a little different than the previous attempt. Much more stable now.

All other fish are in my holding tanks and will remain there for another two - three weeks while they finish out their last cupramine treatment. The livestock in my holding tanks are a conglomeration of fish from my previous 120 FOWLR and other fish that have been added since I took it down, but prior to setting this system up. Some had been quarantined, but not all had been quarantined/preventatively treated, so I decided to take advantage of the holding tank situation to treat everybody. All of the fish in the Display Tank will have undergone 2 - 3 treatments of Prazi, a FW dip prior to entering the DT, and a 30 day cupramine treatment.

There are a number of fish that I am considering adding to this tank, the list below are the non-negotiable ones.

Hoplolatilus purpureus - Purple Tilefish - one of my all time favorites
Chaetodon Declivis - Declivis Butterfly - I prefer these to Tinkeri
Pygoplites diacanthus - Regal Angelfish - preferably from the Red Sea, it is my goal to have a pair of these.

Therer are a lot of other options that I'm considering, but none of them are set in stone.

I'll be sure to post updates as I add fish from the holding tanks.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 09/21/2014, 01:40 PM   #11
kw22
Registered Member

The Angels look beautiful.

Current Tank Info: All freshwater at the moment.Hoping to set up a marine tank in the future.
Unread 09/21/2014, 01:44 PM   #12
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks, that's very kind of you!

Oh, then yes, a generator is a must in your area. Longest I've been out of power in all my years in San Diego was about 12 or so, so the battery backup has always been more than sufficient.
Would you believe the first time we lost power for an extended period of time was during Hurricane Ike. Here I am in Southern Ohio and a fricking Hurricane comes through and just demolishes everything. No rain, just tremendous wind.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 09/21/2014, 01:48 PM   #13
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
The Angels look beautiful.
Thanks, they are truly stunning under the LED lighting. The accents on their dorsal and anal fins is unreal. I wish I could capture it on camera.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 09/21/2014, 04:56 PM   #14
aquaph8
Love The Fish

Big fan already Matt, tank and fish choices are awesome!

Current Tank Info: Leemar 60x36x24, 8x80 T5/LED Sfiligoi GENESIS Alpha 300 skimmer
aquaph8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2014, 05:13 PM   #15
HPark
Registered Member

Venustus look great! Look forward to seeing it progress!

Unread 09/21/2014, 10:39 PM   #16
SteelMastiff
Registered Member

Congrats on getting the Venustus moved into their new home, tanks looking great.

SteelMastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2014, 10:58 PM   #17
HumbleFish
Moved On

Awesome! I wanna do a Butterfly Garden tank so bad!!!

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2014, 11:22 PM   #18
stifrk
Registered Member

Awesome tank! Love the overflow and sump

stifrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2014, 12:56 AM   #19
kw22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribfan View Post
Thanks, they are truly stunning under the LED lighting. The accents on their dorsal and anal fins is unreal. I wish I could capture it on camera.
Today is my birthday y'know

Unread 09/22/2014, 06:18 AM   #20
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Today is my birthday y'know
I'll do what I can...

Happy birthday by the way!

Current Tank Info:
Unread 09/22/2014, 09:12 AM   #21
kw22
Registered Member

Quote:
I'll do what I can...

Happy birthday by the way!
Thanks for the birthday wishes

Unread 09/22/2014, 09:52 AM   #22
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

The tank is looking great! I've never kept tile fish before. Do you think they'll be too nervous with all the other fish around?

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

Unread 09/22/2014, 10:55 AM   #23
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
The tank is looking great! I've never kept tile fish before. Do you think they'll be too nervous with all the other fish around?
Initially yes, but once they get used to the tank they become very tame. The two purple tiles that I had were some of the most tame fish I have ever owned.

The big challenge with these fish is honestly keeping them in the tank. If there is a hole, they will find it.

They have the most beautiful color, especially their eyes.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 09/22/2014, 11:19 AM   #24
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Quote:
They have the most beautiful color, especially their eyes.
Get a room!

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

Unread 09/22/2014, 03:51 PM   #25
caribfan
Registered Member

Funny man, get a pair and you'll see what I mean.

Current Tank Info: