Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/11/2017, 04:06 AM   #1
kainic
Registered Member

Post Tropic Marin Reef Actif

This is not intended to be an advertisment nor I'm in any way related to Tropic Marin. This thread is created to be a reference for all Reef Actif users abroad. There's a huge thread on a (german forum) (hope it's not a RC TOC violation to provide this link) where many people share their experiences with this product, but there's not a big thread in english.

For those who do not know the product, Tropic Marin's description is as follows:

Quote:
For water care between water changes

REEF ACTIF contains marine biopolymers which bind excess nutrients and other pollutants and lead to their decomposition via specialized microorganisms. This promotes a natural marine microbiology environment in the aquarium and keeps the water extremely clear.

The activation of the microflora provides the water with numerous vitamins and other vital substances in a wholly natural manner. Corals and shells open better and display their full range of colors. Fishes, too, benefit from the stable bacteria flora and the probiotic effect; they become robust, displaying their vitality in the form of perfect coloration.
Quote:
Benefits:
• Ensures consistent water conditions between water changes
• Has a double function as adsorber and valuable bacteria nutrition in the aquarium
• Binds nutrients and encourages their utilisation through bacteria and other organisms
• Promotes the removal of water contamination by binding contaminating substances
• Slow decomposition of excess nutrients without oxygen consumption in the aquarium
• Improves consistency and continuity of skimming
• Enhances vitality and coloration of corals and reef mussels
And it's dosage instructions
Quote:
How to use:
One measuring spoon of REEF ACTIF once a week per 500 I / 130 US-Gal. of aquarium system water volume. Stir REEF ACTIF into some aquarium water and then add it to the aquarium. Make sure it is blended as evenly as possible.

Maximum dosage: One measuring spoon for a 500 I (130 US-Gal.) aquarium, three times a week. For aquarium systems without skimmers: One measuring spoon for a 1000 I (260 US-gal.) aquarium.

REEF ACTIF can be used in combination with all other products of the BIO-ACTIF-SYSTEM. This does not result in overdosing of organic substances.
There's some RC users currently dosing Reef Actif: DiscusHeckel, Pife, illumnae and myself

I'd like this thread to be a compendium of experiences and questions about this product. Hope it helps.

"Every man can be, if he tries, sculptor of his own brain", Santiago Ramón y Cajal
kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2017, 07:38 AM   #2
reefmutt
Registered Member

I haven't started using it yet but have it in my cupboard. I will start trying it out eventually..
Following.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2017, 07:44 AM   #3
Alfrareef
Registered Member

Interesting... did you get the cons?

Alfrareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2017, 01:23 PM   #4
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

I have been using this product since 25th May 2017 to complement my main nutrient export tool, Tropic Marin NP-Bacto-Balance.

I started to dose it because I was curious to find out its impact on my reef (positive or negative). I like experimenting. This is what keeps me going in this hobby. I am good at record keeping for future reference and to benefit wider community. You can find my diary on TM Reef Actif diary on my Facebook page.

Please feel free to post your comments or questions to my Facebook note or alternatively to my tank thread. I will do my best to share my opinion with you. I will also chip in any discussions in this thread.

Cheers

Bülent

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]

Last edited by DiscusHeckel; 08/11/2017 at 02:18 PM.
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2017, 09:08 PM   #5
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

2 questions as my very interested :-

1. Can this be used with other branded bacteria like Zeobak and Aquaforest Pro Bio S?
2. How do we dose in smaller tanks like 100 gallon or so (below 400 liters)?

Regards,
Abhishek

abhishek@1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2017, 12:23 AM   #6
kainic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek@1985 View Post
2 questions as my very interested :-

1. Can this be used with other branded bacteria like Zeobak and Aquaforest Pro Bio S?
2. How do we dose in smaller tanks like 100 gallon or so (below 400 liters)?

Regards,
Abhishek
As any other bacteria fuel its recommended to start slow and increase dose over time. My understanding is that its not counterproductive to use Reef Actif with any bacteria source.

For smaller tanks (like mine which is 90g) you can dose 1/2 or 1/4 as the spoon has the marks for it.

"Every man can be, if he tries, sculptor of his own brain", Santiago Ramón y Cajal
kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2017, 03:39 AM   #7
Alfrareef
Registered Member

Thanks Bülent.
I'll give it a chance and going to read more about it. At first it seems one more carbon source...
Thanks for the info.

Unread 08/12/2017, 04:25 AM   #8
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfrareef View Post
Thanks Bülent.
I'll give it a chance and going to read more about it. At first it seems one more carbon source...
Thanks for the info.
Yes, it is a carbon source in the form of biopolymers, which bind nutrients and release them only when they are "degraded by bacteria living on symbiosis with sponges, corals, mussels, tubular worms and most other filtering marine animals" (ref: Hans-Werner Balling)

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
Unread 08/12/2017, 04:30 AM   #9
Alfrareef
Registered Member

So I should stop NOPOX dosing while using it?

Unread 08/12/2017, 08:14 AM   #10
plyle02
Registered Member

If it were my reef, I would discontinue dosing of carbon source for a couple of days post water change, would not want to encourage a cyano bloom...

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2017, 10:22 AM   #11
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfrareef View Post
So I should stop NOPOX dosing while using it?
I cannot give you a definite yes or no answer as it depends on your present PO4 readings, which in my opinion much more crucial to corals' health than nitrates. You do not want to lower PO4 to very low levels as it will shock your corals. If measurable phosphates are below 0.0246 mg/L, I would probably consider quitting NOPOX. If, on the other hand, it is higher than this value, then I would continue with caution and observe corals daily (colouration and polyp extension).

Last edited by DiscusHeckel; 08/12/2017 at 02:02 PM. Reason: I have corrected a typo:- 0.246 --> 0.0246
Unread 08/12/2017, 12:28 PM   #12
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
I cannot give you a definite yes or no answer as it depends on your present PO4 readings, which in my opinion much more crucial to corals' health than nitrates. You do not want to lower PO4 to very low levels as it will shock your corals. If measurable phosphates are below 0.246 mg/L, I would probably consider quitting NOPOX. If, on the other hand, it is higher than this value, then I would continue with caution and observe corals daily (colouration and polyp extension).
Bulent, did you mean .246 or .0246?
Maybe I'm mixing up my measures..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 08/12/2017, 02:02 PM   #13
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Bulent, did you mean .246 or .0246?
Maybe I'm mixing up my measures..
You are right Matt. I have corrected my mistake.

Unread 08/12/2017, 03:00 PM   #14
Rick55555
Registered Member

I am interested in this product. Please keep the information coming.

Thanks,
Rick

Rick55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2017, 08:07 PM   #15
Pife
Registered Member

I am about to dose my first dose. It will be one level spoonful. My water system is now than double the recommended dose for a spoonful so I'm starting slow.

I am dosing bio digest too. And vinegar.

Nitrates at 5 and p04s at . 06

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2017, 08:14 PM   #16
reefmutt
Registered Member

What's the rational for using both reef actif and vinegar?

Unread 08/13/2017, 10:18 PM   #17
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
What's the rational for using both reef actif and vinegar?
I am stuck at 5 nitrate. I have increased vinegar dosing and that did not lower then so I'm trying a different carbon source. I just don't get it. I also ordered and received a swabbie to try and increase my skimmers productivity. I have since dosing bio digest had a big up swing in skimmate production. Triple my normal amount with out the lowering of nitrate.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Unread 08/14/2017, 01:09 AM   #18
illumnae
Registered Member

I have a different interpretation of what Reef Actif is. I do not think that it is a carbon source similar to Nopox or vinegar. Tropic Marin actually has several other carbon source products including NP Bacto Balance, Elimi-NP and NP Bacto Pellets. On the Tropic Marin website, those 3 products are listed in the "Nutrient Control" category, while Reef Actif is listed in the "Minerals" category.

The description of the product states that they are "marine biopolymers", but while most/all carbon sources are polymers of some sort (some even being biopolymers), not all biopolymers are carbon sources.

The stated benefit of this product is to promote water stability by binding excess nutrients and pollutants in the water and aiding in their decomposition. The microorganisms that perform such decomposition (which includes bacteria) is supposed to create a better overall environment for our tank inhabitants.

I see this product as being similar to the Reef Vitality product from Fauna Marin.

illumnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 05:12 AM   #19
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
I am stuck at 5 nitrate. I have increased vinegar dosing and that did not lower then so I'm trying a different carbon source. I just don't get it. I also ordered and received a swabbie to try and increase my skimmers productivity. I have since dosing bio digest had a big up swing in skimmate production. Triple my normal amount with out the lowering of nitrate.
Oh! I get it, so you've been using vinegar already..
So, reef actif is the next step. Ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
I have a different interpretation of what Reef Actif is. I do not think that it is a carbon source similar to Nopox or vinegar. Tropic Marin actually has several other carbon source products including NP Bacto Balance, Elimi-NP and NP Bacto Pellets. On the Tropic Marin website, those 3 products are listed in the "Nutrient Control" category, while Reef Actif is listed in the "Minerals" category.

The description of the product states that they are "marine biopolymers", but while most/all carbon sources are polymers of some sort (some even being biopolymers), not all biopolymers are carbon sources.

The stated benefit of this product is to promote water stability by binding excess nutrients and pollutants in the water and aiding in their decomposition. The microorganisms that perform such decomposition (which includes bacteria) is supposed to create a better overall environment for our tank inhabitants.

I see this product as being similar to the Reef Vitality product from Fauna Marin.
100% agree

Unread 08/14/2017, 05:15 AM   #20
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:

Reef Actif is a carbon source. To quote Hans-Werner: "REEF ACTIF contains a carbon source in the form of the mentioned biopolymers. These, like most organic compounds, are mainly carbon."

There may, however, be a difference between biopolymers and carbon contained in Bacto-balance and possibly vinegar, vodka and sugars. Different carbon sources must feed different types of bacteria. I am currently studying this.

To quote Hans-Werner again " ... specialized marine bacteria, but they live in symbiosis with sponges, corals, mussels, tubular worms and most other filtering marine animals. This usually means that the filterers harbor these symbiontic bacteria and feed them food"

What I do not know is whether or not this type of bacteria are different from facultative heterotrophic bacteria that live on surfaces and also possibly in the water column. This is what I am studying. Once I know the answer I will be able to answer the question BigE posed in my tank thread. That is "I'm not sure I see what it [Reef Actif] offers that Bacto balance doesn't? Bacto balance contains a carbon source, correct?"

Unread 08/14/2017, 07:20 AM   #21
illumnae
Registered Member

Biopolymers are organic polymers which means they are, by definition, carbon compounds. What I meant to say is that my view is that Reef Actif is not a carbon source in the traditional reefing use of the term, not that it does not contain carbon in its makeup. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Fun fact: DNA is a type of biopolymer

Unread 08/14/2017, 08:20 AM   #22
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Biopolymers are organic polymers which means they are, by definition, carbon compounds. What I meant to say is that my view is that Reef Actif is not a carbon source in the traditional reefing use of the term, not that it does not contain carbon in its makeup. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Fun fact: DNA is a type of biopolymer
If you are right, then this pust clear blue water between Reef Actif and organic carbon based products, such as Bacto-Balance, vinegar etc. This also explains why Reef Actif was not listed in nutrient reduction category in TM's product list. I will get back to you on that once I establish communication with Herr Balling on this topic.

Unread 08/14/2017, 10:15 AM   #23
illumnae
Registered Member

Yup that's exactly my thought. Hope you get a response from Herr Balling. Frankly this is one of the components of the system that truly puzzles me, like Reef Vitality did when I used to use the Fauna Marin system. Their descriptions are very similar though

Unread 08/14/2017, 05:21 PM   #24
Alfrareef
Registered Member

This Reef Actif it's getting more interesting... thanks you all.
waiting for more information...

Unread 08/14/2017, 06:39 PM   #25
Pife
Registered Member

It seems as if I am having a bit of cyanobacteria bloom. I don't know if it is in direct correlation with the dosing of reef actif or not.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Tags
reef actif, tropic marin