Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/03/2020, 06:48 PM   #1
perverseosmosis
Registered Member

ID: Long thin strand of something coming from a Maxima

The last couple evenings, our Maxima has had this very thin, very long, brown filament coming out its exhalant siphon. It looks almost like a strand of long brown hair. I gave it little tug and the clam closed up, so I stopped doing that! The next day it was gone, only to come back later in the evening.

I think the clam is pretty healthy. I've had it for a long time and it's a good six inches across. The only parameter I've changed somewhat recently is to dial down the light on that side of the tank just a bit. The closest thing I've found searching for the cause is the notion that sometimes a clam will expel excess zooxanthellae.

Thoughts? Maybe I'll restore my light settings (although that's in tension with a coral which has grown very high in the tank and seemed less happy)

perverseosmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2020, 10:05 PM   #2
OrionN
Moved on

That is a strand of discarded zooxanthellae .

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2020, 12:00 PM   #3
perverseosmosis
Registered Member

As a follow up, those threads came out for a few days then stopped.

perverseosmosis is offline   Reply With Quote