Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/24/2020, 02:28 PM   #1
JWClark
Registered Member

BK3 100W anti lime bypass elbow

Just picked up another 100W RD3 as a back up for the one I bought on Black Friday. Was an open box deal and probably returned because the anti lime bypass elbow broke off at the pump.

I't rather not return. Is there a way to fix this? Trying to remove the broken pipe piece from the elbow but can just replace that if needed. But how can I get the piece that is in the pump out so I can replace? And what size tube do I need to replace?

Thanks.

Current Tank Info: Reefer 450 seed tank for the retirement 315gal Reef Savvy build.
JWClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2020, 03:10 PM   #2
JWClark
Registered Member

Just to clarify, it is the elbow at the pump motor end, not the impeller end elbow. Got the piece of tube out of the elbow, now just need to get the rest of the tube out of the motor block but there is nothing to really grab.

Can maybe shove a small screw driver in to bite it and work it out but don't want to accidentally break any seals in the housing. Guess the question is if this is even a replaceable tube? The broke piece looks more like a nipple connection so maybe can't replace?

Current Tank Info: Reefer 450 seed tank for the retirement 315gal Reef Savvy build.

Last edited by JWClark; 12/24/2020 at 04:14 PM.
Unread 12/28/2020, 07:54 PM   #3
slief
RC Sponsor

Sorry for the late replay. What I would do is use a paper clip with a slight bend in it to remove the broken stup tube from the pump side of the elbow. Then clean the back of the pump and stub very well with some rubbing alcohol. Use a tiny bit of CA glue to glue the stub back in place by appling the CA to the broken end of the tube and being careful not to block the tube with glue. It only takes a little bit of glue as we are only tacking the tube back in place. I am sure it’s not a perfectly clean break which is a good thing as it will give you something to align the stub back onto the block. Once the glue sets, carefully put the elbow fitting back onto the pump. Aim the elbow towards the connection on the pumps output so the red tube reaches where it should go. Don’t put the red tube on yet. Next mix up some epoxy and use a syringe to squirt it into the back of the block around the elbow fitting. The idea is to fill the void around the elbow so it’s permanently bonded and can never break again. Once the epoxy cures, reinstall the AKB tube and you are set.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2020, 08:57 AM   #4
JWClark
Registered Member

Thanks for this. Was sort of the fix I had come up w/ thinking about this. By CA glue I assume you mean super glue (cyanoacrylate)?

Also, was thinking to use JB waterweld to put around the outside of the elbow to seal and hold in place. Would this work instead of epoxy? I've used this to fix leaking skimmer cups and the like--and have some laying around. Just not as pretty.

Break is definitely not clean so I was thinking to sand it down a tad to give better contact. Right now the jagged edge of the piece that broke off does not allow for an easy alignment at all. All the aligning pieces on the pump end seem to have broken off in shipping so that side is pretty flush with the block.

Unread 12/29/2020, 07:23 PM   #5
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWClark View Post
Thanks for this. Was sort of the fix I had come up w/ thinking about this. By CA glue I assume you mean super glue (cyanoacrylate)?

Also, was thinking to use JB waterweld to put around the outside of the elbow to seal and hold in place. Would this work instead of epoxy? I've used this to fix leaking skimmer cups and the like--and have some laying around. Just not as pretty.

Break is definitely not clean so I was thinking to sand it down a tad to give better contact. Right now the jagged edge of the piece that broke off does not allow for an easy alignment at all. All the aligning pieces on the pump end seem to have broken off in shipping so that side is pretty flush with the block.
CA is super glue as you suggested. I would not use water wild but I suppose you could as it will harden just fine but liquid epoxy will fill the void nicely. I would not sand the broken edge of the stup tube down too much since you can use that to align the tube over the holes but if it’s interfering with getting it lined up properly then sand it down as needed. The key is to glue that little stub dead center so that the hole in that stuff is not obstructed at all and allows for water to pass through the AKB into the magnet cavity.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 12/31/2020, 09:45 AM   #6
JWClark
Registered Member

Thanks. Since I'm not in a hurry I'll acquire some epoxy and give it a try. A chance to try something new.

Unread 12/31/2020, 04:38 PM   #7
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWClark View Post
Thanks. Since I'm not in a hurry I'll acquire some epoxy and give it a try. A chance to try something new.
Keep me posted. It’s an easy fix.