Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/10/2021, 12:59 PM   #1
humphreyhh
Registered Member

My Condy anemone bubbled up its tips.

Does it mean it’s happy like this? Or unhappy?
My only clownfish’s home is right by it but I don’t think hosting is happening soon (I don’t care about hosting btw). I like the look of this anemone. That’s why I got it. It’s about 6 inches wide. Does condy needs feeding a lot? I never fed mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2021, 10:41 PM   #2
lebowski
Notorious Reeferus

That's very interesting. This doesn't look like a Condy to me...

May be an entacmaea quadricolor (bubble tip).

Got any more photos?

Unread 01/15/2021, 02:53 PM   #3
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebowski View Post
That's very interesting. This doesn't look like a Condy to me...

May be an entacmaea quadricolor (bubble tip).

Got any more photos?

Thanks for the reply!!!

I had BTA before so I don’t think this is a BTA.

I was told it’s a Haitian anemone. People say it’s from the same family as Condy. I don’t know. I only have this one.

And...my clownfish is now sleeping in the tentacles...I think he saw my post here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 01/16/2021, 11:29 AM   #4
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That looks like a happy Condylactis. If you feed mysis to your tank, it'll likely get some, or you can target feed. If you want it to grow, feed it bigger foods like silversides or shrimp. Mine grew much bigger when I did that.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2021, 12:12 PM   #5
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
That looks like a happy Condylactis. If you feed mysis to your tank, it'll likely get some, or you can target feed. If you want it to grow, feed it bigger foods like silversides or shrimp. Mine grew much bigger when I did that.

Thank you for the reply!

I’ll feed small pieces of seafood to it but I don’t mind if they grow big or not.

He shrinks down (sometimes into a ball) every night and opens up when light is on... is this what condy likes to do??? BTA doesn’t seem to like to do that...

My clownfish is liking it now...this hosting happened without any sign...

Unread 01/16/2021, 05:59 PM   #6
lebowski
Notorious Reeferus

Ok... It might be a Condylactis. I've been out of the anemone game for a while.

It is normal for an anemone to shrink, although I wouldn't say that staying shrunk overnight until morning everyday is typical. An anemone shrinks for many reasons. To expel waste, to take in a fresh batch of water (o2 and such in), and also because of stress.

If it's closing everynight, I'm leaning on the stress side or something may be bothering it.

Do not feed it too much. A small little chunk of fish every other week minimum. It will expel waste and change behaviors from too much food.

What is your lighting? You got a whole tank shot?

Unread 01/17/2021, 10:00 AM   #7
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok... It might be a Condylactis. I've been out of the anemone game for a while.

It is normal for an anemone to shrink, although I wouldn't say that staying shrunk overnight until morning everyday is typical. An anemone shrinks for many reasons. To expel waste, to take in a fresh batch of water (o2 and such in), and also because of stress.

If it's closing everynight, I'm leaning on the stress side or something may be bothering it.

Do not feed it too much. A small little chunk of fish every other week minimum. It will expel waste and change behaviors from too much food.

What is your lighting? You got a whole tank shot?

Thanks for the follow up!

My tank is a 20 gallon long and is ugly with algae everywhere which you can tell from the picture. I keep it a hobby tank not a display tank...I don’t intend to show it to anyone. It’s ugly enough lol

I added some macro algae before. I wanted to make it an algae tank, but gosh they are crazy...

But the anemone did not shrink last night. It moved down today and looks a lot more like a Condy to me...the bubble tips are gone...

I haven’t fed it yet. I don’t like to feed anemones, just like you suggested even if I feed, I give a very small piece of shrimp. In the wild I believe food for anemones are scarce and they don’t eat “huge meals” that often.

I have a small LED light, kessil A80 right on top of the anemone. So far it’s been working very well.

Unread 01/18/2021, 03:57 PM   #8
lebowski
Notorious Reeferus

Quote:
Originally Posted by humphreyhh View Post
Thanks for the follow up!

My tank is a 20 gallon long and is ugly with algae everywhere which you can tell from the picture. I keep it a hobby tank not a display tank...I don’t intend to show it to anyone. It’s ugly enough lol

I added some macro algae before. I wanted to make it an algae tank, but gosh they are crazy...

But the anemone did not shrink last night. It moved down today and looks a lot more like a Condy to me...the bubble tips are gone...

I haven’t fed it yet. I don’t like to feed anemones, just like you suggested even if I feed, I give a very small piece of shrimp. In the wild I believe food for anemones are scarce and they don’t eat “huge meals” that often.

I have a small LED light, kessil A80 right on top of the anemone. So far it’s been working very well.

It looks more like a condylactis to me now. I have not observed such a bubble tip formation in a condylactis.....

Either way, every photo that you shared shows a rather healthy anemone. Whatever it is, your clownfish is happy in it and it's alive so don't worry too much,

Everything in reef keeping is pretty simple or algorithmic..

If this---- then that---- so thus---- might this happen---

So pay close attention to the anemone. If it hasn't moved and it's been situated it means it's happy where it is. Often, owners get angry with an anemone because they seldom can control where it attaches itself... I know this all too well. This is different with corals (which is a plus for your aesthetic desire, but it can be a detriment adaptively for the coral to be able to find a better position. The anemone has this advantage... it can inflate faster and even move. I do believe it has a more advanced nervous system.. these are cool facts you should dig into when studying reefing and what you have... let's you get more intimate and understanding of your little inhabitants!

Unread 01/18/2021, 04:33 PM   #9
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Quote:
It looks more like a condylactis to me now. I have not observed such a bubble tip formation in a condylactis.....

Either way, every photo that you shared shows a rather healthy anemone. Whatever it is, your clownfish is happy in it and it's alive so don't worry too much,

Everything in reef keeping is pretty simple or algorithmic..

If this---- then that---- so thus---- might this happen---

So pay close attention to the anemone. If it hasn't moved and it's been situated it means it's happy where it is. Often, owners get angry with an anemone because they seldom can control where it attaches itself... I know this all too well. This is different with corals (which is a plus for your aesthetic desire, but it can be a detriment adaptively for the coral to be able to find a better position. The anemone has this advantage... it can inflate faster and even move. I do believe it has a more advanced nervous system.. these are cool facts you should dig into when studying reefing and what you have... let's you get more intimate and understanding of your little inhabitants!

Thank you for the reply!

Yes I try to study the animals as much as possible before I make purchases. I only want a small tank with clownfish and anemone (maybe some small easy corals but not sure). So far I’m quite happy of what I’ve got.

I don’t mind if it wants to move so I covered all my filter intakes just in case. I would only care if it moves to a dark corner where no light can get to it. Otherwise I don’t bother it. It stays around in the same spot so far.

Unread 01/18/2021, 06:17 PM   #10
lebowski
Notorious Reeferus

Quote:
Thank you for the reply!

Yes I try to study the animals as much as possible before I make purchases. I only want a small tank with clownfish and anemone (maybe some small easy corals but not sure). So far I’m quite happy of what I’ve got.

I don’t mind if it wants to move so I covered all my filter intakes just in case. I would only care if it moves to a dark corner where no light can get to it. Otherwise I don’t bother it. It stays around in the same spot so far.

Neat! AS for you saying this tank is just hobby and not for show, why so? Show us a tank shot. Are you embarrassed? I am willing to help you with any issues you have.

Unread 01/20/2021, 01:33 PM   #11
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Quote:
Neat! AS for you saying this tank is just hobby and not for show, why so? Show us a tank shot. Are you embarrassed? I am willing to help you with any issues you have.

Lol there is nothing to feel embarrassed about. It’s just that I have nothing interesting in it... plus overwhelmingly plenty of algae

Unread 01/21/2021, 12:58 PM   #12
Jamie1210
Registered Member

is that an old vase? I like the weathered look of it in the tank

I noticed your condy hosting your clown. Mine used to host my maroon w/no problem, although I heard that condy's, because they're not clown-hosting anemones, may eat your clown.

Jamie1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2021, 04:32 PM   #13
humphreyhh
Registered Member

My Condy anemone bubbled up its tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1210 View Post
is that an old vase? I like the weathered look of it in the tank

I noticed your condy hosting your clown. Mine used to host my maroon w/no problem, although I heard that condy's, because they're not clown-hosting anemones, may eat your clown.

Thanks for the reply. Yes it’s a vase covered with some hair algae...some snails are working on them.

I also saw condy hosting more aggressive clowns in lfs like clarkii, tomatoes, and maroons. But I did not hope the hosting would happen in my tank... but it did somehow.

The condy has been rubbed by the clown constantly... so far no issues or whatsoever, and both look healthy and happy but I’ll see what happens. I just hope my clown won’t kill the condy. He is so aggressive to the nem sometimes.

Today the condy moved a little to the back of the same rock it’s been on. But it’s still open and it looks ok.

Unread 01/22/2021, 07:40 PM   #14
lebowski
Notorious Reeferus

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Yes it’s a vase covered with some hair algae...some snails are working on them.

I also saw condy hosting more aggressive clowns in lfs like clarkii, tomatoes, and maroons. But I did not hope the hosting would happen in my tank... but it did somehow.

The condy has been rubbed by the clown constantly... so far no issues or whatsoever, and both look healthy and happy but I’ll see what happens. I just hope my clown won’t kill the condy. He is so aggressive to the nem sometimes.

Today the condy moved a little to the back of the same rock it’s been on. But it’s still open and it looks ok.

That's a neat photo of the clown in the anemone!

I like the vase too. You definitely need a cleaning job in there buddy. Looks a little neglected. Motivate yourself to do it soon, it'll make you feel a buttload better!

Unread 01/22/2021, 09:18 PM   #15
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Quote:
That's a neat photo of the clown in the anemone!

I like the vase too. You definitely need a cleaning job in there buddy. Looks a little neglected. Motivate yourself to do it soon, it'll make you feel a buttload better!

Thanks!

I’m rearranging the rocks. Hopefully it will look better soon. My clean up crew died last year so it became a mess but I got some snails again weeks ago. They are working on it now.

Unread 01/31/2021, 10:46 AM   #16
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Today. Its tentacles are all really chubby...

I rearranged the rocks without touching the nem. Algae are mostly eaten by new snails and hermits. My clean up crew died off last year thus I had those nasty hair algae.

I added an oceanic wallpaper on the tank back. Now my tank mystically looks like petco tank

Unread 02/02/2021, 11:19 AM   #17
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Why are its tentacles getting so fat...
Is he ok???

Unread 02/02/2021, 12:16 PM   #18
Nate2005
Registered Member

I’m pretty sure it has something to do with the light in your tank not an expert though .

Nate2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2021, 12:39 PM   #19
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate2005 View Post
I’m pretty sure it has something to do with the light in your tank not an expert though .

Thanks for replying.

I would think so as well but my light worked with bta and LTA before (not that they are the same). I hope it’s just a temporary thing with it.

I’ll update if anything changes.

Unread 02/02/2021, 12:51 PM   #20
Nate2005
Registered Member

Yeah don’t stress about it to much my bta does all kinds of crazy stuff and it seems to be fine . Tentacles change in size all of the time

Unread 02/02/2021, 05:58 PM   #21
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah don’t stress about it to much my bta does all kinds of crazy stuff and it seems to be fine . Tentacles change in size all of the time

Maybe my light is too strong? After the lights are out it looks normal now.

I’ll adjust the light tomorrow when it’s on.

Unread 02/09/2021, 01:41 PM   #22
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Ok, I got a new normal white condy anemone. The clownfish lives in both of them now.

And look at the comparison of these two. The bottom one is the new condy.
The higher one is the old haitian anemone.

Unread 02/09/2021, 03:12 PM   #23
Nate2005
Registered Member

That looks amazing I kind of want to get one for my clown but I have bubble tip and I think there will be chemical warfare . only one clown is hosting bta cus they aren’t a pair.

Unread 02/09/2021, 04:25 PM   #24
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Quote:
That looks amazing I kind of want to get one for my clown but I have bubble tip and I think there will be chemical warfare . only one clown is hosting bta cus they aren’t a pair.

They touch each other and they don’t mind each other. You can get more btas tho. Green and red. Would look amazing.

Unread 02/09/2021, 04:38 PM   #25
Nate2005
Registered Member

Ok I’m probably going to get a rose bta