Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tampa Bay Saltwater
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/15/2021, 01:32 PM   #1
liverock
RC Sponsor

Tampa Bay Saltwater, time for new blood!

Hello all.

Posting to clear up a lot of misinformation regarding Tampa Bay Saltwater and current events.

I had the wonderful opportunity of being a pioneer in the aqua cultured live rock industry here in Florida. I received the first and only five acre lease for aquaculture of live here in the State of Florida off the west coast of Florida almost forty years ago.

I was a real pleasure taking this new industry to you folks and supply the finest quality of live rock on the planet. It was for sure a wild ride, and I would not change anything that transpired in these forty years.

With the state of affairs we are all facing, and the fact that we are old and fat, 68 and 71 years old I have decided it is time for somebody else to take over the live rock lease and website. It will take a special person to step in and do as I did, and supply the finest live rock, sand and inverts on the planet. There is nothing easy about being a live rock farmer, but to me there would be no other occupation that would be as satisfying and rewarding as this was for me.

This would be a great opportunity for someone who is young, lives in the Tampa area and has adequate boat and facility to make this happen. I did it by myself for many years and it was very rewarding. This is a lifetime lease with the state that is renewable and transferable every ten years.

I used to think as I was anchoring up off shore when diving on my lease getting ready to jump in and get a load of rock, that I was very lucky to be out on the ocean living the dream, and not at a desk looking at a computer screen.

Many thanks to the thousands of customers I had over the last forty years, and and thanks for the support and understanding in these troubling times for all of us.

Most of all, be safe and please be kind and respectful of others.

Many Thanks for all the Years!! Could not have asked for more of my working life or a better occupation.

Peace

Richard TBS

www.tbsaltwater.com
Find us on Instagram tbs_liverockrocks

Current Tank Info: mixed reef
liverock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2021, 05:29 PM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Someone who lived the saying - "If you enjoy what you do you will never work a day in your life".
Enjoy Richard!

Unread 01/16/2021, 06:30 PM   #3
Yogre
Cheesehead Reefer

All the best to you, Richard. I’ll be following you into retirement, mandatory in my case at 65, in just a few years.

Your rock continues to be the foundation of my tank. I really hope that someone steps up and buys your operation, it’s just too valuable to let it go. Plus, selfishly, when I start my next tank I’d love to use Tampa Bay Saltwater live rock.

Again, all the best, be safe, and enjoy your retirement.

Glen

Current Tank Info: 215 gal TBS Reef
Yogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2021, 06:30 AM   #4
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogre View Post
All the best to you, Richard. I’ll be following you into retirement, mandatory in my case at 65, in just a few years.

Your rock continues to be the foundation of my tank. I really hope that someone steps up and buys your operation, it’s just too valuable to let it go. Plus, selfishly, when I start my next tank I’d love to use Tampa Bay Saltwater live rock.

Again, all the best, be safe, and enjoy your retirement.

Glen
Hey Capt. Thanks for the kind words....you will miss flying as much as I miss diving...that is what they make grand kids for.....#1 grand daughter started at UPENN in Philly this year....they grow up fast!

www.tbsaltwater.com

Unread 01/18/2021, 03:11 PM   #5
bobt2
Registered Member

hay, you don't give them up, you just slow down and enjoy. i,m in my 70's, still dive and fly, just relax and enjoy. richard, when you don't have to do it to make a buck, it becomes fun again, trust me, i know

bobt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2021, 03:25 PM   #6
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobt2 View Post
hay, you don't give them up, you just slow down and enjoy. i,m in my 70's, still dive and fly, just relax and enjoy. richard, when you don't have to do it to make a buck, it becomes fun again, trust me, i know
Dualy noted #1

Picard....lol

I just wish we could travel again...when the snow goes away..going to load up in the F-350 4X4....and with a SENIOR national park and pass who knows...lol....but missing missing out on prime time..right now ...of the orbits around the sun...I ..can only do so much yard work....got to do something LOL...

The vaccine here is a long ways out.......I think practicing the life style we have..for the last year....is the best course right now....

Stay safe everybody!

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

www.tbsaltwater.com

Unread 03/20/2021, 03:56 PM   #7
jfabritz
Registered Member

Checked your website for old times' sake and up at the top of the page, it looks like you might have found some new blood to take over your legacy? Is it true?!? ;-)

jfabritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2021, 02:05 PM   #8
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfabritz View Post
Checked your website for old times' sake and up at the top of the page, it looks like you might have found some new blood to take over your legacy? Is it true?!? ;-)
Yupper BIG TIME! going to better than ever!

www.tbsaltwater.com

Unread 04/07/2021, 08:19 AM   #9
reefing102
Who Am I Here?

That’s awesome to hear! It’s good to keep a legacy going

Life's a climb... but the view is great.

Current Tank Info: 2.5 Gallon Nano
reefing102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2021, 10:33 AM   #10
liverock
RC Sponsor

Hiyo Reef Central!

Madelyn & Jocelyn here, we are blessed to continue the amazing TBS legacy pioneered by Richard. While now officially retired, he is busy showing us the ropes and sharing details that will ensure TBS will continue supplying the finest live rock on the planet!

Here is a great introductory article written by Jake Adams...
https://reefbuilders.com/2021/03/17/...ive-rock-farm/

www.tbsaltwater.com

Unread 04/07/2021, 10:48 AM   #11
shred5
Registered Member

It is great you could sell it and TBS will continue on.
Have a great retirement.

Unread 04/07/2021, 07:33 PM   #12
reefing102
Who Am I Here?

Welcome Madelyn and Jocelyn! Have a great retirement Richard! When it’s time for my new tank set up, I’ll be looking forward to ordering

Life's a climb... but the view is great.

Current Tank Info: 2.5 Gallon Nano
reefing102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2021, 07:55 PM   #13
CuzzA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverock View Post
Hiyo Reef Central!

Madelyn & Jocelyn here, we are blessed to continue the amazing TBS legacy pioneered by Richard. While now officially retired, he is busy showing us the ropes and sharing details that will ensure TBS will continue supplying the finest live rock on the planet!

Here is a great introductory article written by Jake Adams...
https://reefbuilders.com/2021/03/17/...ive-rock-farm/
Hey I'm famous! That was my first ever dive video. How embarrassing. I've got a lot better at underwater video since then.

I owe it to Richard for getting me motivated to get certified. Sitting on the boat while he was down below was all it took. Screw that! I want to be down there.

Congrats on your new adventure. I need to give Richard a shout and wish him well on officially retiring. If you girls ever need someone to help or maybe let me make a new, much better video, let me know. All the best.

CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2021, 10:20 AM   #14
liverock
RC Sponsor

You are famous, CuzzA! Was an awesome first ever dive video and front page of Richard's web site for many years.

We just might take you up on a new video once settled. Dove the site the other week and it is beautiful! Can't wait to start harvesting!

Thanks for the kind words! and Rock-On!

www.tbsaltwater.com

Unread 07/12/2021, 11:20 AM   #15
beaner720
Registered Member

Madelyn & Jocelyn....Any updates on how things are going? Really looking forward to starting new tank with you rock.

beaner720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2021, 11:32 AM   #16
liverock
RC Sponsor

Hello there @beaner720 !!! Things are going really well, thanks for checking in.

We have been really busy:
work boat repairs and upgrades, trailer repairs and a new one ordered,
warehouse system currently has 3,000 gal of saltwater running through it,
ordered and received 2 containers of beautiful man-made rock from Fiji,
planted 44,000+ pounds of Walt Smith, literally rock by rock,
vintage rock inventoried on lease site (and yes, there is some pukani!),
constant communication with TBS founder, Richard Londeree,
and while we are waiting for the warehouse system to cycle and shipping supplies to arrive...we are diving, diving, diving (even today) to check on the rock and it looks excellent!

Our website is in process.
You can check on us through Instagram at tbs_liverockrocks and on Facebook at Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock.

We have also started a list of folks who want an email notification when we begin shipping. You can email us at liverock@tbsaltwater.com to be put on the list.

Thanks for your patience everyone, we can't wait to start harvesting for you, Beaner720!

www.tbsaltwater.com

Unread 07/13/2021, 12:46 PM   #17
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverock View Post
Hello there @beaner720 !!! Things are going really well, thanks for checking in.

We have been really busy:
work boat repairs and upgrades, trailer repairs and a new one ordered,
warehouse system currently has 3,000 gal of saltwater running through it,
ordered and received 2 containers of beautiful man-made rock from Fiji,
planted 44,000+ pounds of Walt Smith, literally rock by rock,
vintage rock inventoried on lease site (and yes, there is some pukani!),
constant communication with TBS founder, Richard Londeree,
and while we are waiting for the warehouse system to cycle and shipping supplies to arrive...we are diving, diving, diving (even today) to check on the rock and it looks excellent!

Our website is in process.
You can check on us through Instagram at tbs_liverockrocks and on Facebook at Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock.

We have also started a list of folks who want an email notification when we begin shipping. You can email us at liverock@tbsaltwater.com to be put on the list.

Thanks for your patience everyone, we can't wait to start harvesting for you, Beaner720!

This is good to hear!

Unread 08/12/2021, 07:34 AM   #18
aujosh84
Registered Member

I can't believe I just now stumbled upon this thread. Richard has supplied liverock to two of my tanks in the past both of which I parted out when moving. When I got a new tank at the new house a few years go I decided to go with base rock. It was not the same. Wishing you guys luck and a slow hurricane season. Have a happy retirement Richard!

Current Tank Info: 75g reef in the works
aujosh84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2021, 03:59 PM   #19
liverock
RC Sponsor

Howdy!

Just checking in here on RC.
Tampa Bay Saltwater is rolling out the orders. While the web site is under construction, we are keeping plenty busy harvesting and shipping.
You can contact us via email liverock@tbsaltwater.com if you have questions or would like to order.
Rock-On RC friends!
M & J

www.tbsaltwater.com