Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/23/2008, 05:52 PM   #26
helipilot
Registered Member

Great pictures, beautiful mantis. I would be nervous about the glass heater through.

helipilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2008, 08:25 PM   #27
hotimportknight
Registered Member

Oh yeah, I didnt even realize that. That stupid heater is just sitting in there because I havent gotten a small submersible yet. I want to get one of the little 50 watt submersible heaters to put in the back of my nano cube. Something like this, my friend uses it in his salt mixing bucket and I really like it, automatically keeps temp at 78 degrees no adjusting, and its really small so it would fit in the back of my cube. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...tt=heater&Np=1

I'd hope I dont have to worry about my mantis breaking glass though, I just got a new glass aquarium sitting above my 3400$ tv, ps3, hd DVr, klipsh sub, surround sound tuner and basically everything valuable I own... So i'm taking some advice when someone said that this species cant break glass. I still wont let my girlfriend or anyone taunt the mantis into attacking the glass.
Back to the heaters, what kind of heaters have you guys used in the back of cube aquariums? And what compartment did you put it in? I guess that cheap tetra one has a shut off if it gets too hot so in case the water level did evaporate too much it wouldnt over heat in the pump section.

hotimportknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2008, 08:36 PM   #28
helipilot
Registered Member

I agree with everyone that your mantis won't break the glass in your aquarium, but those glass heaters seem to break if you look at them wrong. I use the Visi-therm Stealth heaters, I believe they are just about bullet proof.

helipilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2008, 08:46 PM   #29
Pea-brain
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by hotimportknight
ps3
w00t! rock on! I support your decision heartily

Dan

Pea-brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2008, 09:46 PM   #30
hotimportknight
Registered Member

Thanks! Yeah I did like that visitherm stealth heater, my friend just picked one up like a week or 2 ago. My only issue is its 3" longer than the cheaper tetra one.
About the PS3, I also have a 360 (won it from Mt. dew) and a wii, because They were hard to find and it was right in front of me. I havent turned on the wii in 6 months, and someone is borrowing my 360 while his gets repaired. (I fixed mine myself due to Microsoft being *******s and not honoring a warranty) So I took mine apart and did a heat sink the way it should be done, so now every one borrows mine when theirs are being fixed for weeks on end.

Unread 01/24/2008, 01:23 PM   #31
hotimportknight
Registered Member

Last night late at night I woke up to some strange clicking sounds i've never heard before, I go to check it out and my mantis has the hermit I put in his tank pinned in a corner smacking it... I dont think he could kill it unless hermit crabs can get brain damage from shock... the shell is no longer in the place of the incident, either the mantis dragged it off, or it ran off after the attack and is hiding now. I'm glad the mantis finally started re decorating his burrow a little bit, it dragged in a bunch of substrate and partially covered the entrance. such cool creatures!

Unread 01/24/2008, 10:56 PM   #32
gholland
Registered Member

Sounds like fun! Glad it's finally settling in.

Quote:
Originally posted by justinl
crushed coral as a substrate isnt the best, aragonite is best imo.
Justin... did you mean "aragonite sand is best"... presumably because of the particle size? Because all modern coral skeletons are aragonite aren't they?
Quote:
Originally posted by Pea-brain
To add to what justin said this mantis shouldn't be on cc because it is so rough and will wear on the shell of the mantis.
And Dan... I'm just not convinced that crushed coral is going to be that rough on the shell of a mantis. At least mine never showed any signs. Coral just isn't that hard, plus any "damage" would be removed each time the mantis molts. Wouldn't it?

Sorry, but I just keep wondering about these two statments...
Greg

gholland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2008, 05:41 AM   #33
Pea-brain
Moved On

Crushed coral isn't only hard, it has a rough exterior that causes abrasion. While it may not lead to the downfall it certainly isn't good for your mantis, especially with other substrates that don't trap detritus out there.

Dan

Pea-brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2008, 01:06 PM   #34
justinl
Registered Member

Dr roy mentioned a while back that it wears on the pleiopods of some mantids and can wear them down. Not a super terrible thing, but probably not too good for a display animal. at least it was something along those lines. cant remember the exact quote

justinl is offline   Reply With Quote