Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/07/2020, 01:37 PM   #1
PlantedReef
Registered Member

Torch coral with misshapen tentacles

Hey guys. I have a torch coral and I'm trying to figure out what is going on with it. The tentacles seem to be getting "lumpy" and some are curving in their growth. A couple of them also are sort of stringy looking and seem like they so stretched out in the middle and could break off at any moment. I've also seen a couple of the tips on the sand bed but, that just may be a fish nipping. I'll add a couple of pictures and hopefully a video as soon as I can. My parameters are in the acceptable range for a reef tank.

Salinity 1.025
pH 8.0
Temp - 79F
Nitrate - 5
Phosphate - between 0.00 and 0.05 typically when tested
Alk - 8.0 (dosing kalkwasser)
Calc - 440
Mg - 1350

Using 2 AI Prime 16HD's set about 12" over an 18" deep tank set to Saxby'ish program (little brighter during peak daylight hours).

Does anyone have an idea why a torch coral would grow such misshapen tentacles? Too much light? Not enough light? Too much flow?

PlantedReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2020, 01:57 PM   #2
PlantedReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedReef View Post
Hey guys. I have a torch coral and I'm trying to figure out what is going on with it. The tentacles seem to be getting "lumpy" and some are curving in their growth. A couple of them also are sort of stringy looking and seem like they so stretched out in the middle and could break off at any moment. I've also seen a couple of the tips on the sand bed but, that just may be a fish nipping. I'll add a couple of pictures and hopefully a video as soon as I can. My parameters are in the acceptable range for a reef tank.

Salinity 1.025
pH 8.0
Temp - 79F
Nitrate - 5
Phosphate - between 0.00 and 0.05 typically when tested
Alk - 8.0 (dosing kalkwasser)
Calc - 440
Mg - 1350

Using 2 AI Prime 16HD's set about 12" over an 18" deep tank set to Saxby'ish program (little brighter during peak daylight hours).

Does anyone have an idea why a torch coral would grow such misshapen tentacles? Too much light? Not enough light? Too much flow?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201206_122603.jpg (85.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 20201206_122607.jpg (78.4 KB, 29 views)
Unread 12/22/2020, 10:28 AM   #3
PlantedReef
Registered Member

I'll try to keep this updated in case anyone else is looking for some information. So far, I have tried blocking light partially to the torch. I have glass lids and just set something over the top of that coral to cut the light a bit. That didn't seem to do anything. I have also recently turned down the flow. Now the torch sways instead of flapping in the current. Waiting to see if this helps.

Unread 01/05/2021, 05:41 PM   #4
RA
Registered Member

I'm saying this with a great deal of uncertainty but to me it looks like a frogspawn. Can someone with a great deal of knowledge weigh in.

RA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2021, 08:38 AM   #5
Reef Bass
colors and textures

I can see why you might be tempted to think frogspawn. To me, it looks like a "torch with lumpy, not fully extended tentacles".

IME, torches are more finicky / temperamental than other more hardy Euphyllia such as branching hammers. I find them beautiful. Euphyllia tentacles can get amazingly thin, much more than your picture shows.

Sounds as though you've already identified the issue: fish nipping. Torch tips on the sandbed are not a usual thing with them. Being picked at, the coral is not likely fully extending, and lumps and crooks could be a result of being chewed.

One way to check this idea would be to cage the coral in something like a plastic berry basket which allows for current to flow through but blocks naughty fish. If the coral starts recovering within a week or two of being protected, likely that was the cause. Then though you'd face the unpleasant decision of who stays and who goes, nipping fish or targeted coral?

Please let us know how things go.

Thanks.

Former president and co-president of the Wine Country Reefers.

Current Tank Info: 60 gallons of Scleractinia and Zoanthidae lit w/ LEDs

Last edited by Reef Bass; 01/06/2021 at 08:44 AM.
Reef Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2021, 05:18 PM   #6
heritage
Registered Member

I wouldn't worry about it to much mine does the same thing every now and then and I've had this coral for 8 years or so. It's a great coral and is growing very well. I keep mine half way up and under t5 lighting.

Unread 07/21/2021, 12:53 PM   #7
PlantedReef
Registered Member

I appreciate all of the feedback. Unfortunately, the torch just kept withering away until the tentacles were flat and very few remained. This is the 2nd torch I've had and both had the same outcome. The first one was located on the rockwork and the second I moved from the rockwork to the sand thinking it might have been getting too much light. Guess I'm done with torches. They are one of my favorites.

Unread 07/23/2021, 06:15 AM   #8
Reef Bass
colors and textures

Sorry to hear. I am a fan of Euphyllia. My bicolor frogspawn, toxic green octospawn, bicolor hammer and purple torch are favorite tank inhabitants. I find torches a bit more tempermental than say branching hammers. I've had my purple torch for months now and it's growing nicely. I hope it continues like that.

Former president and co-president of the Wine Country Reefers.

Current Tank Info: 60 gallons of Scleractinia and Zoanthidae lit w/ LEDs
Reef Bass is offline   Reply With Quote