Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/29/2017, 02:49 PM   #751
caribfan
Registered Member

Not getting a warm and fuzzy on the Ocellatus. I'm going to separate it tonight, I think there is too much feeding pressure in my quarantine tank.

Here is a vide of the DT with a more yellow spectrum. I think it looks a lot better.

Current Tank Info:
50 Breeder Quarantine Tank, 240 Miracles Finally up and running, 29 Biocube - AI Nano
caribfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2017, 07:50 PM   #752
caribfan
Registered Member

Went out and got a few new foods tonight and actually some small successes the Ocellatus. This video is from the third or fourth feeding of the night. It might not look like much, but it's actually a lot of progress.

Then of course there is the big fat puffer that eats everything...love that fish.

Current Tank Info:
50 Breeder Quarantine Tank, 240 Miracles Finally up and running, 29 Biocube - AI Nano
Unread 08/29/2017, 08:13 PM   #753
Naraku
Registered Member

nice, idol looks fatter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribfan View Post
Not getting a warm and fuzzy on the Ocellatus. I'm going to separate it tonight, I think there is too much feeding pressure in my quarantine tank.

Here is a vide of the DT with a more yellow spectrum. I think it looks a lot better.

Naraku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2018, 10:17 AM   #754
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

Hi there Caribfan, I'm loving your tank. I've always loved angels and butterflies and would love to recreate a smaller version of your tank with butterflies and angels that would be happy in a 110 (primarily dwarfs). What would you say are your biggest success factors?

lifeoffaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 05:46 AM   #755
caribfan
Registered Member

Sad day yesterday, my tank is officially broken down and moved out of the basement. We're moving this Saturday. We are going to be living in an apartment for 3 - 4 months while I renovate an old farm house.

Fish are all at my parents in a 150 gallon and a 50 gallon. Everyone seems to have survived the move.

I was more emotional than I expected to be, I think it's because I've had a lot of those fish for quite some time

Hoping to get the tank set back up in July or August after we've moved to the farm, will surely keep everyone posted.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 02/22/2018, 08:32 AM   #756
Big E
Registered Member

Good luck with everything Matt.

I hear ya on the emotion part, especially when you've had them for a while.

reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2197142&page=31

Ed
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 09:07 AM   #757
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Glad you had an option to keep them somewhere in the interim. Hope all goes smoothly for you!

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Current Tank Info: 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 08:57 PM   #758
caribfan
Registered Member

Appreciate it guys, the next four Months are going to be intense between starting a produce farm, renovating a house and continuing full time at day job. Plus I’m supposed to be a husband and father in there somewhere too.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 01/02/2021, 11:13 PM   #759
Fiish
Registered Member

I'm quite surprised, extraordinary thread, I was able to read the whole thing in about a week but it was worth it. Matt, any update ?? It's been a long time since 4 months

Unread 01/03/2021, 07:51 AM   #760
aikenreefkeeper
Registered Member

Matt,

I am also interested in an update. I read thru the entire post this morning. I have a 120 that I am seriously considering making a Butterfly Display.

Thanks,

Dean

aikenreefkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2021, 11:28 AM   #761
Fiish
Registered Member

Matt, I'm curious to know how your filtration system is set up on the QT tanks. You say you have an established bioballs filter, so when you add Cupramine it doesn't wipe out your colony of bacteria?

Unread 01/08/2021, 03:19 PM   #762
LargeAngels
Premium Member

IME Cupramine has never affected the bio filter in a negative way.

LargeAngels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2021, 11:48 PM   #763
Fiish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeAngels View Post
IME Cupramine has never affected the bio filter in a negative way.
That's interesting, I'm about to build a QT tank but I want to add an established biological filter, like matt's, but I have no idea what to use, bioballs or marinepure blocks, although I hope that Matt will soon be able to show how his QT tank is instaled and of course see how those fantastic butterflies continue.

Unread 01/13/2021, 07:16 PM   #764
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiish View Post
Matt, I'm curious to know how your filtration system is set up on the QT tanks. You say you have an established bioballs filter, so when you add Cupramine it doesn't wipe out your colony of bacteria?
Hey guys, apologize it’s taken me a minute to reply. I haven’t really been active in a long time.

My QT is not currently set up, but when it was, I never noticed that the cupramine effected the biological filter.

My QT is a 50 gallon breeder with a piece of glass at one end with a small overflow notched out, the bio balls sit on the other side of the glass. There is also a return pump there.

One thing I have done in the past is left about half the bioballs that my QT filter can hold in the sump for the display tank. If I have to set up the QT, I just pull those active bioballs out of the sump and I’m ready to go. I’ll typically use water from my DT to set up the QT too.

Hope that makes sense.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 01/13/2021, 07:21 PM   #765
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm quite surprised, extraordinary thread, I was able to read the whole thing in about a week but it was worth it. Matt, any update ?? It's been a long time since 4 months
I’m sad to say, I’ve kind of put the hobby in hold the past couple years. My tank is a shadow of what it used to be, although I’ve been toying with the notion of getting things going again.

My wife and I started a small produce farm in 2018 and most of my time has been dedicated to that.

The tank is up and running, although the only fish I kept were the dwarf angels. There is still a venustus, multi bar, lemon peel and like a 10 yr old Eibli. I think the futballer damsel is in there as well.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 01/13/2021, 07:23 PM   #766
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenreefkeeper View Post
Matt,

I am also interested in an update. I read thru the entire post this morning. I have a 120 that I am seriously considering making a Butterfly Display.

Thanks,

Dean
I love a butterfly tank, I’ll do my best to help answer any questions. Not sure if he’s still active on this forum, but SDguy is a wealth of knowledge too and has/had a great butterfly collection as well.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 01/14/2021, 12:50 AM   #767
Fiish
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey guys, apologize it’s taken me a minute to reply. I haven’t really been active in a long time.

My QT is not currently set up, but when it was, I never noticed that the cupramine effected the biological filter.

My QT is a 50 gallon breeder with a piece of glass at one end with a small overflow notched out, the bio balls sit on the other side of the glass. There is also a return pump there.

One thing I have done in the past is left about half the bioballs that my QT filter can hold in the sump for the display tank. If I have to set up the QT, I just pull those active bioballs out of the sump and I’m ready to go. I’ll typically use water from my DT to set up the QT too.

Hope that makes sense.
Hi Matt, of course your quarantine method makes a lot of sense, I'm just looking for options to configure mine in the near future. I learned a lot from this thread and I'm also reading Peter's thread, and gathering information. I hope you get back to work with the tank when you can, those angels that you still have are extraordinary, and of course I wish you the best of luck with the farm.

Unread 01/14/2021, 07:38 AM   #768
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi Matt, of course your quarantine method makes a lot of sense, I'm just looking for options to configure mine in the near future. I learned a lot from this thread and I'm also reading Peter's thread, and gathering information. I hope you get back to work with the tank when you can, those angels that you still have are extraordinary, and of course I wish you the best of luck with the farm.
Quarantine is an absolute necessity IMO. My brother in law just added fish to his tank and didn’t quarantine. Almost everything is gone now...ich.

What are your plans for a tank? You could probably do something less elaborate than my set up. I know some folks will just keep a sponge filter or two in their dumps and use those as cultured media when they set up a qt.

Another option is to just have a permanent quarantine tank and keep a couple damsels in there to keep the filter sustained. Kind of cruel to put the damsels through so much treatment though.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 01/15/2021, 11:36 AM   #769
Fiish
Registered Member

Quote:
Quarantine is an absolute necessity IMO. My brother in law just added fish to his tank and didn’t quarantine. Almost everything is gone now...ich.

What are your plans for a tank? You could probably do something less elaborate than my set up. I know some folks will just keep a sponge filter or two in their dumps and use those as cultured media when they set up a qt.

Another option is to just have a permanent quarantine tank and keep a couple damsels in there to keep the filter sustained. Kind of cruel to put the damsels through so much treatment though.
Well, I currently have a 79 gallon tank that continues to run after I lost my fishes last year. But I have not uninstalled it, and I'm getting ideas to configure the qt, I have several options, many say that it is not good to have the qt set, I'm only thinking of growing bioballs in the main tank and using them in the qt when new fish arrive. It doesn't fit much in 79 gallons anyway and when I'm successful with this tank I can start to think about a larger urn.

Unread 01/15/2021, 02:16 PM   #770
caribfan
Registered Member

A 10 or 20 gallon would likely be all you need if your DT is a 79 gallon.

It’s all about being able to keep the fish in an appropriate sized tank during the QT process. I wouldn’t quarantine a show size Naso for a 300 gallon in a 10 gallon, but for a short period (4-6 weeks) that fish would do fine in a standard 55 gallon.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 01/15/2021, 02:59 PM   #771
Fiish
Registered Member

Quote:
A 10 or 20 gallon would likely be all you need if your DT is a 79 gallon.

It’s all about being able to keep the fish in an appropriate sized tank during the QT process. I wouldn’t quarantine a show size Naso for a 300 gallon in a 10 gallon, but for a short period (4-6 weeks) that fish would do fine in a standard 55 gallon.
20 gallons do you think it's wise to treat a couple of butterflies or a couple of dwarf angels for 6 or 8 weeks? You could use rejilux to reduce aggression if there is one. These are the fish I have in mind.

Unread 01/16/2021, 02:13 PM   #772
aikenreefkeeper
Registered Member

Matt,

So I was thinking about the four Butterflies for my tank:

1: Chaetodon kleini
2: Chaetodon ulietensis
3: Heniochus singularis
4: Chaetodon rafflesi

and with that some pajama cardinals

Your knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dean

aikenreefkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2021, 08:41 PM   #773
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
20 gallons do you think it's wise to treat a couple of butterflies or a couple of dwarf angels for 6 or 8 weeks? You could use rejilux to reduce aggression if there is one. These are the fish I have in mind.
Apologize I missed your question.

I treat for four weeks with cupramine, and I take 6-8 days to get to the effective dose.

Not familiar with rejilux.

Most fish will be fine in a 20 gallon for 6-8 weeks, as long as you don’t overcrowd and have a suitable biological filter.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 01/30/2021, 08:44 PM   #774
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenreefkeeper View Post
Matt,

So I was thinking about the four Butterflies for my tank:

1: Chaetodon kleini
2: Chaetodon ulietensis
3: Heniochus singularis
4: Chaetodon rafflesi

and with that some pajama cardinals

Your knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dean
Those all seem like decent choices, just be sure to feed them a good quality food. I still use the LRS foods. For butterflies, a freshly cracked little neck clam will usually entice them to eat.

I think having a good skimmer is important too, for the waste removal but also oxygenation of the water.

What size tank are these fish going into?

Current Tank Info:
Unread 01/30/2021, 08:55 PM   #775
caribfan
Registered Member

Did a 60 gallon water change for the first time in forever, not proud of that. Nitrates weren’t too far off the chart, maybe 60 ppm.

The current stocking rate is not great, only one butterfly at the moment, and it’s scheduled for removal.

The existing list is:
-centropyge venustus
-centropyge eibli - going on 9+ years I think
-centropyge flavissima
-paracentropyge multifasciata
-zebrasoma flavescens
-chrysiptera annulata
-johnrandallia nigrirostris

On the short list for addition:
-dusky butterfly
-rainford butterfly
-pair of Bella gobies
-leopard wrasse trio (new territory here for me)
-second venustus angel
-second multibar angel

The tank is still a mess, I basically just put the rock in without any thought when I set it back up. If I get it aqua apes, I’ll try to post some pictures or a video..

Current Tank Info: