Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/26/2020, 10:10 PM   #1676
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I look forward to seeing your interpretation of the macro-seagrass refugium!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2020, 10:39 PM   #1677
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Here's another FTS, just for fun.

You can't see it here, but I'm dealing with cyanobacteria on my sand bed. I exported some today. I'll keep exporting to wear it down, then I'll finish it off with a blackout.

Unread 12/31/2020, 11:01 PM   #1678
ThePurple12
Registered Member

It’s 2021 in Eastern Time!

I was wondering, do you have experience with fighting conchs? I was thinking of getting a couple, as I read that “Conchs do not eat seagrass. They scrape off the covering of algae that adhere to the blades of grass. The seagrass remains unscathed.”

This sounds like the perfect solution to the epiphyte problem in my tank. Almost too good to be true.

Good luck with that cyano. Shouldn’t be too hard to get rid of, hopefully,

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2020, 11:20 PM   #1679
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Happy New Year!

I have a lovely fighting conch that cruises around the sand and eats. I haven't noticed it cleaning the grasses, but I don't see why it wouldn't. The mini strombus snails really do great on the thin blades.

We'll see on the cyano. I've had some luck with it earlier in the tank's development. Now that the tank has filled in, it has reduced the current, making it ripe for cyano.

Unread 01/01/2021, 11:59 AM   #1680
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Happy New Year!

I have a lovely fighting conch that cruises around the sand and eats. I haven't noticed it cleaning the grasses, but I don't see why it wouldn't. The mini strombus snails really do great on the thin blades.

We'll see on the cyano. I've had some luck with it earlier in the tank's development. Now that the tank has filled in, it has reduced the current, making it ripe for cyano.
Happy 2021! Everything looks real good. Cyano, what a pain in the butt! My tank has it too. Good luck with the black out!

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2021, 12:01 PM   #1681
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePurple12 View Post
It’s 2021 in Eastern Time!

I was wondering, do you have experience with fighting conchs? I was thinking of getting a couple, as I read that “Conchs do not eat seagrass. They scrape off the covering of algae that adhere to the blades of grass. The seagrass remains unscathed.”

This sounds like the perfect solution to the epiphyte problem in my tank. Almost too good to be true.

Good luck with that cyano. Shouldn’t be too hard to get rid of, hopefully,
Happy 2021 to you and yours! Maybe I should jump on the bandwagon and get a fighting conch too.

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
Unread 01/01/2021, 12:34 PM   #1682
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Sure always room for 1 more!
Happy New Year Michael, I'm giving away seats on your train!
I'm sure you have heard of Mark Levinson, he spoke to our club a few times.
He claims when cyano shows up just hit it with Chemi Clean.
HOWEVER, I don't have plants so you would have to investigate its effect.
Just what you need, another task. Tank looks great, here's hoping 2021 can compete.

Unread 01/01/2021, 12:52 PM   #1683
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Happy New Year, Dawn!

Fighting Conches (and Sea Cucumbers) are great sand bed cleaners I love to recommend, but they aren't for everyone. They need a large enough tank to provide adequate grazing space, or they will starve. Ten years or so ago, my tank was a reef. I had a cucumber that gradually shrank down to nothing - in a 180! In this same tank, now run much differently, my cucumber is thriving and growing.

Luckily, you can supplement the naturally occurring foods with sinking veggie foods, that both fighting conches and cucumbers will enjoy. Sorry I lumped the two together, but their needs are similar. I think a fighting conch would work well in your refugium, where there may be more food for it, than in your display.

My two cents!

Unread 01/01/2021, 01:12 PM   #1684
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Happy New Year Vinny!

I've taken a ride (or two) on the Chemiclean train, for sure! I'll probably use some Erythromycin (an antibiotic), which I think is the active ingredient in Chemiclean. I still have some left of the largish supply I bought a while back. It's great because it can pull double-duty as a general antibiotic in QTs too. I've seen no downsides for the plants.

It has been my experience that relentless manual removal wears it down. After a week or two, it doesn't come back as fast. That's when I hit it with chemiclean, combined with a 4 day blackout. I finish it off with a water change. That's what has worked for me.

Unread 01/04/2021, 02:23 PM   #1685
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Happy New Year, Dawn!

Fighting Conches (and Sea Cucumbers) are great sand bed cleaners I love to recommend, but they aren't for everyone. They need a large enough tank to provide adequate grazing space, or they will starve. Ten years or so ago, my tank was a reef. I had a cucumber that gradually shrank down to nothing - in a 180! In this same tank, now run much differently, my cucumber is thriving and growing.

Luckily, you can supplement the naturally occurring foods with sinking veggie foods, that both fighting conches and cucumbers will enjoy. Sorry I lumped the two together, but their needs are similar. I think a fighting conch would work well in your refugium, where there may be more food for it, than in your display.

My two cents!
Hey Michael, I missed this post somehow.

Yes, I actually had a plain Atlantic sand sifting cucumber back when I had the 36 gallon bowfront. I had it for about 3 years before I tore that tank down and re-homed it. He was not a beauty but he was a great detritivore. I would definitely get another one of those and it would be perfect in the refugium since there are no powerheads in that tank. Still a fighting conch might be a better option since they will clean the seagrass some.

Unread 01/05/2021, 07:10 PM   #1686
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

For all of you that were wondering. What's the difference between the Red Grapes and String of Pearls plants? This pic should clear it up:

Plant on the left is Red Grapes, on the right is String of Pearls. The difference between the two is the Red Grapes have stems leading up to the 'grapes', while the String of Pearls have no discernible stems, just 'pearls'.

I like them both, but the String of Pearls are (is?) one of my all time favorites. For some reason, I never had any luck with Red Grapes until this tank. I didn't knowingly purchase them. They grew out the live rocks. They do really well, to the point that they get too leggy and I have to prune them back occasionally. The String of Pearls I bought about three years ago. It has remained rather small, but pretty adaptable to the varying locations I've put it in. And as a bonus, every time I move it, it leaves behind a fragment to grow a new plant. I have placed them around the new patch reef, hoping to get them to flourish and grow bigger.

Unread 01/06/2021, 06:56 AM   #1687
vlangel
Registered Member

I have never had or seen string of Pearl's in person but I thought that must be the difference from what I observed. Someday I may get some of those. I enjoy my red grape a lot and they are doing quite well in the refugium in the darker areas of that tank.

Unread 01/11/2021, 05:44 PM   #1688
ThePurple12
Registered Member

I just rediscovered this thread today. Amazing!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2529093

Unread 01/12/2021, 06:08 AM   #1689
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePurple12 View Post
I just rediscovered this thread today. Amazing!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2529093
I love that tank and am a little jealous that my house in western PA cannot have a tank like that one, ha ha!

Unread 01/12/2021, 08:35 AM   #1690
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That was (is?) a great tank. cksss we miss you!

Unread 01/13/2021, 12:03 PM   #1691
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I've been doing a little reading on Iron, because I'm not seeing good results from Iron dosing. It appears that the problem may be that I'm using Iron for fresh water tanks. It may also be responsible for the precipitation forming on my grasses. So now I have a gallon bottle of it, and the only fresh water I have is in a 3 gallon Beta Vase with 3 plants. So it's a lifetime supply…

I remember the last Iron I bought was for marine tanks and it worked great. Every time I added it, all the macros colored up nicely. The stuff I'm using now seems to have no affect. Time to go virtual shopping!

Cyanobacteria is spreading on the sand, since I didn't export any last weekend, but last night I noticed that Seymour was eating some. Yay Seymour! I'd say my clean up crew are the unsung heroes, but I sing about them all the time! I doesn't appear that his help is keeping pace with it's growth, so I'll have to continue with the plan.

The unknown, flat red macro plant broke off from it's rock attachment. I'll try to anchor it in the patch reef somewhere. Fortunately, there are two more sprouting from the rock. It's such a weird/cool plant. I'd really like it to take off. It really seems to prefer dim lighting.

The Red Grapes are bouncing back from their severe haircut. They're looking good.

I'm very tempted to do a massive Feather Caulerpa export. It's so thick, the tank looks smaller. I have to remind myself that when the wall isn't covered, I want it to grow back and cover it again! On the bright side, it is helping to shade the patch reef, which the reds like. I just need to keep it from shading the Mangrove leaves at the growth tip.

I must say I've enjoyed growing the Mangroves on my own terms. I wasn't sure that planting them completely submerged would work, but a couple years later, they're still growing. I love the verticality they add. I wonder if they would have survived without the yard dirt substrate. I kind of doubt it. They are certainly growing slower than if they were emergent, but they're on track to reach the surface one of these days. Maybe in another year… It'll be really interesting to see how they respond to finally having air. There's not a whole lot of room in the hood for them to grow, so we'll see how they adapt.

My measly fish population - four Allen's Damsels and one Barnacle Blenny are still doing well. It's been a challenge to restrain myself from buying any fish for a year. I have enjoyed finding creative things to do instead, like re-scaping. Hopefully, 2021 will be better!

Thanks again to all that read my rambling! I invite any lurkers to chime in. The more the merrier! I'm happy to answer the most basic of questions, and I'm always open to suggestions. Discussion leads to breakthroughs!

Unread 01/13/2021, 01:17 PM   #1692
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Interested to hear how the iron goes, and I’m really surprised your mangroves are still growing.

I’m curious what your nitrate is at with so few fish and so many plants. Are you dosing?

Unread 01/13/2021, 01:59 PM   #1693
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Yeah, me too on the Iron. What surprises you about the mangroves still growing?

I have no idea what my Nitrate level is. If I kept a reef tank I would, but I find the health of my tank a more reliable method, than trying to tell what color matches what level, with a test.

Lately I don't dose as much as I used to. I do feed my fish heavily to keep levels up. I have let my CO2 cylinder run out. I do plan to refill it but it's a low priority with the Pandemic raging at all-time highs. On rare occasions, I dose ammonia, when I think the system could use a kick.

I have been trying a few things lately to see if I can improve growth and coloration of the red macros. I do those one at a time and wait to see how they do.

Unread 01/13/2021, 02:08 PM   #1694
vlangel
Registered Member

Hhhm, I am surprised that fw and sw have different iron needs. I always thought iron was iron. That is interesting and now I am wondering if I have the right iron as it does not specify on the bottle for fresh or salt. It only says for aquarium use only. It did seem that the one time I used it that the macro algae took off, especially the feather caulerpa.

I am continue to follow how your mangroves are doing as that is a future interest of mine someday.

Unread 01/13/2021, 02:40 PM   #1695
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah, me too on the Iron. What surprises you about the mangroves still growing?
Oops- I'm surprised they're still growing completely submerged for so long. Most people would say it wouldn't work.

Unread 01/13/2021, 03:22 PM   #1696
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

No worries, ThePurple12. I was just curious.

From what I deduced from reading, it is more important for them to have their roots in fertile soil than access to air. Also I saw a lot of pics of seedlings in Nature completely submerged.

Ultimately, it may not work. It's still possible they won't make to the surface and they perish at some point. I'm just glad they've made it this far (2+ years) and I didn't have resort to some hideous arrangement that ruins all my pics. You may recall the ugly rubber bands holding macros onto my fake mangrove root in v1. For all that hassle and hideousness, not a single macro 'adhered' to the fake root. Never again!

Unread 01/16/2021, 05:43 PM   #1697
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

"Hhhm, I am surprised that fw and sw have different iron needs. I always thought iron was iron."

It has something to do with what it is chelated with, whatever that means. Chemistry is challenging for me. Bottom line, you want the stuff formulated for marine aquariums. I ordered some and look forward to getting it. Most of my reds could be much redder. When I read that it could precipitate out, I thought maybe that's what's causing it to show up on my seagrass blades. Plus I've never noticed any improvement in the macros' colors after using it. The previous bottle I got was definitely for marine and it worked like a charm.

Today I got my hands wet to pull caulerpa and cyanobacteria off the sand bed. I almost got it done until my back gave me a stern message to stop. So close…

I've noticed that most of the cyano forms on exposed pockets of dirt. So I usually go back and cover it with new sand afterwards. Since I couldn't finish today I didn't. Hopefully, in the next few days I can finish up. This is the closest I've come to getting the sand bed completely clear of caulerpa in quite awhile.

The exposed dirt exposes my mistake when I changed up the plan with my sand bed installation. It was nicely buried until I decided to slope the sand. Next time (v3?), I'll be sure to keep the dirt an inch or two below the top sand layer.

Unread 01/17/2021, 12:28 AM   #1698
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
"Hhhm, I am surprised that fw and sw have different iron needs. I always thought iron was iron."

It has something to do with what it is chelated with, whatever that means. Chemistry is challenging for me. Bottom line, you want the stuff formulated for marine aquariums. I ordered some and look forward to getting it. Most of my reds could be much redder. When I read that it could precipitate out, I thought maybe that's what's causing it to show up on my seagrass blades. Plus I've never noticed any improvement in the macros' colors after using it. The previous bottle I got was definitely for marine and it worked like a charm.

Today I got my hands wet to pull caulerpa and cyanobacteria off the sand bed. I almost got it done until my back gave me a stern message to stop. So close…

I've noticed that most of the cyano forms on exposed pockets of dirt. So I usually go back and cover it with new sand afterwards. Since I couldn't finish today I didn't. Hopefully, in the next few days I can finish up. This is the closest I've come to getting the sand bed completely clear of caulerpa in quite awhile.

The exposed dirt exposes my mistake when I changed up the plan with my sand bed installation. It was nicely buried until I decided to slope the sand. Next time (v3?), I'll be sure to keep the dirt an inch or two below the top sand layer.
WHAT???? (v3)?????? Is there something that you are not telling us?

Unread 01/17/2021, 08:13 AM   #1699
ThePurple12
Registered Member

V3, very interesting!

Unread 01/17/2021, 11:08 AM   #1700
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Ha! I have no real plans for a v3. It's just there are always things I think of over time that I would do differently. Doesn't everybody?

I have a few other thoughts about how I would improve my tank situation, if I decided to start anew. It's hindsight. For one, I think I kinda rushed getting this tank going again because I felt like there was a hole in my life when the tank was down. I missed it so bad! Even though I felt like I took my time, maybe I could have stepped back and really looked at the big picture a little better. I should have put more thought into the man-made system elements. They are my least favorite things to deal with, and it shows. Looking at it now, I can plainly see I need a sump. My setup now is too crowded and impractical. I need a good, strong, quiet return pump. I should have spent more and got the larger wave box.

One of the challenges is that I bought the setup with a filtration system that I no longer use. I also paid big bucks for a museum quality cabinet tailor made for it. So everything I've done since has had to fit into an overall setup that I would do differently, with hindsight. I've made do just fine and come up with some pretty interesting design solutions, but if I'm critical, they are compromises.

I still love my tank and my gorgeous cabinet, I just see room for improvement. So as I muddle along, I make a mental list of things I'd do better for 'next time'.

Tags
ecosystem, food web, macro algae, planted tank, seagrass