Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/10/2018, 01:45 AM   #1
Elizaveta
Registered Member

Help to reboost the tank

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum !
Hope I am typing in a correct message box and can get your advise.

I have a 120 liter Juwel Tank for around 1,5 year. I am also based in UAE.

Firstly, everything was operating great for a year or so. It appeared later that skimmer had some issues and was not working properly and then a disaster came. Slowly, all corals died, I was left with one shrimp, one snail and one clown fish. To be honest there was a time when I stopped taking care of aquarium... but now I want to start again.

The main problem now at my tank:

- Salinity is 1,030 ! I can not drop it down, I do a 10% water change every week with a new salinity as 1,020 and it is still not going down, what should I do?

- There are some "insects" that appeared to be on the rocks and over the tank. They are very small, hardly can be seen but they are moving... one type has a star shape, some other are like a small snails. How do I get rid of them?

- Bubble algae... should I get a crab for cleaning crew ? Some of them are under the rock and I can not remove it physically. Should I may be just change all my old rocks to the new ones ? How to do it correctly ?

- Another type of algae.. growing as a tree ! what to do with it ?

My other parameters are ok.. only ph needs to be increased. How to increase it ? ( I measured it by the special kit )
Ammonia, nitrate is good.

Elizaveta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2018, 07:14 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

1-Do a water change with fresh water or continue with something where the salinity is less than 1.020.. It will drop..

2-Sounds like some pods (copepods or amphipods) and maybe some asterina starfish or other common creatures.. They are likely beneficial and not something you want to remove.. See if you can identify what you have from this link..https://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhikers-guide/

3-An emerald crab might help.. You can also try products like Vibrant Aquarium cleaner.

4-As for the algae.. As you continue with proper maintenance it should go away on its own.. But again you can try a product like Fluconazole or even Vibrant again.
Pictures of the problem would help is properly identify it and offer a better suggestion..

5-Don't mess with PH.. Just let it be what it is.. In fact just stop measuring for it and never worry about it again..

Unread 12/11/2018, 07:47 AM   #3
s.katyarmal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
1-Do a water change with fresh water or continue with something where the salinity is less than 1.020.. It will drop..

2-Sounds like some pods (copepods or amphipods) and maybe some asterina starfish or other common creatures.. They are likely beneficial and not something you want to remove.. See if you can identify what you have from this link..https://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhikers-guide/

3-An emerald crab might help.. You can also try products like Vibrant Aquarium cleaner.

4-As for the algae.. As you continue with proper maintenance it should go away on its own.. But again you can try a product like Fluconazole or even Vibrant again.
Pictures of the problem would help is properly identify it and offer a better suggestion..

5-Don't mess with PH.. Just let it be what it is.. In fact just stop measuring for it and never worry about it again..

Agree with everything said. And make sure you have calibrated refractometer or whatever you are using for testing salinity of tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

s.katyarmal is offline   Reply With Quote