Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/31/2016, 10:44 AM   #26
Sandberg1222
Registered Member

Yes thank you, I saw that. You can also customize the layout so I wasn't sure. Very nice light. It will be one that I am considering. I am in the process of setting up a 55 so I am looking at the 48. I have a globestar 300w on my 40t. I would need 2 of the globestars and would be close to the price of the 48. Thanks again for your comments.

Sandberg1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2016, 07:37 PM   #27
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandberg1222 View Post
Yes thank you, I saw that. You can also customize the layout so I wasn't sure. Very nice light. It will be one that I am considering. I am in the process of setting up a 55 so I am looking at the 48. I have a globestar 300w on my 40t. I would need 2 of the globestars and would be close to the price of the 48. Thanks again for your comments.

No problem. You won't be disappointed with that light. Did you buy the 55 tank already? Those are really narrow front to back.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2016, 08:35 PM   #28
leviburns89
Registered Member

I like the narrow/tall/long of the 55. It allows me to have a great display, while not taking up a huge footprint in my den.

If you have a wife, she will probably appreciate not using up a huge space for a tank, mine did.

And it allows for a nice wide view, which is what you actually look at vs depth front/back

leviburns89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2016, 10:24 PM   #29
Sandberg1222
Registered Member

I got it off of Craig's list for a bill. 55gallon black back acrylic with oak stand and canopy. Nice deal. Originally got it for a clown grow out tank. But, I am thinking I might switch the tanks out and use the 40 for the grow out tank. That is if I am successful in rearing the babies. My 40 has about 10 or so anemones in it so I wanted to make sure about any new light considerations. I do really like the light so post some more pictures as you progress.

Sandberg1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2016, 01:52 PM   #30
Deberber
Registered Member

Nothing to add, but I just want to say I am excited to see where this goes. It looks great.

Deberber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2016, 06:49 PM   #31
sde1500
Registered Member

My 65 Gallon build

Thanks for the compliments. I'm pretty excited to see how this goes too haha. A much bigger undertaking than my 10 gallon with just a clown.

Got a pretty good bloom of algae right now. New tank and used dry rock so not surprised. Added a few astrinea snails, looks like one already bit the dust. And my Scarlett hermit is in hiding. I'll be ordering some gfo and a big cleaner pack from reefcleaners to get in front of this thing. Phosphates tested absolutely zero with salifert but not too surprised if the algae is taking it all in.

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
Unread 02/06/2016, 02:46 PM   #32
sde1500
Registered Member

Nothing new with the tank really. But the torch looked happy this morning. Most extended I've seen it yet. Three of the four heads are almost always out, the fourth one that is lower in the front is 50/50 if it comes out or not. Typically will extend for a while then retract. Then repeat that. Not sure why though.

Unread 02/06/2016, 06:03 PM   #33
Deberber
Registered Member

That's great. How's everything else doing?

Deberber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2016, 08:29 AM   #34
sde1500
Registered Member

Everything going pretty well. The cardinalfish is being oddly picky about food. I noticed it getting a bit skinny in the QT tank, but recently has started to eat more again and looks to be doing better now. Admittedly, I didn't give them any places to hide in the QT tanks, something I will have to do next time. I assume they will both be more at home when I transfer them to the DT tomorrow night. Ordered a cleaner pack from reef cleaners, hopefully gets here Friday. The snails will have plenty of algae to munch on. I'll have tons of snails, a few coral frags and 3 fish by this weekend, so holding off on adding anything else for a bit. Going to let the tank run it's course for a while, and try and get ahead of the algae growth before adding more corals or fish.

Still learning to be more on top of water top offs with this tank. The 10 gallon needed a cup or two of water, every other day. This tank takes maybe 3/4 of a gallon a day. Didn't do it yesterday, and work up at 2 am this morning to hear my pump sucking air. Not really a fan of having to go into my sketchy basement at 2am to grab a gallon of water, but hey, I chose this hobby haha. ATO is certainly in my future, most likely before vacations start this summer.

Unread 02/10/2016, 05:27 PM   #35
sde1500
Registered Member

Not the best of photos, but the fish are officially through ttm and into the DT! My resident clown who has been alone for almost a year swam right over to check them out. A few pokes at the new clown and then they have been swimming next to each other since. Pretty cool. They are somewhat close in size but I'm pretty sure there is no risk of two females. The mis-bar wasn't the biggest in the group at the LFS and they are all captive bred so wasn't alone at any point.

Clown is settled in much better than the cardinal fish. A bit worried about the Bangaii, but I think it's just stressed. I'll keep an eye on it though. Happy to have more fish in my tank finally!

Unread 02/10/2016, 06:18 PM   #36
ReefInterest
Registered Member

That overflow gives me nightmares.

ReefInterest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2016, 07:07 PM   #37
leviburns89
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefInterest View Post
That overflow gives me nightmares.
The exact reason I chose to go sumpless.

A) people have had success forever

B) everyone says a HOB overflow will eventually fail

C) if failure ever did happen, my wife would leave me before I started a new tank/replace the floors.

Conclusion: can't afford to lose this hobby.

Unread 02/10/2016, 07:11 PM   #38
sde1500
Registered Member

I can't say I'm that worried by it. I'd be curious why people had it fail on them because I've stopped and started my tank a ton of times now and it has never failed to restart. There aren't any bubbles stuck in the u-tube either, the flow is fast enough it pushes them right out.

Unread 02/10/2016, 07:32 PM   #39
leviburns89
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sde1500 View Post
I can't say I'm that worried by it. I'd be curious why people had it fail on them because I've stopped and started my tank a ton of times now and it has never failed to restart. There aren't any bubbles stuck in the u-tube either, the flow is fast enough it pushes them right out.
Because people like to take vacations once in a while, and one slip up crashes the whole party, or maybe they had to work late one day, and didn't have time to check the siphon before bed, then woke up to a destroyed floor.

Murphy's Law: if anything CAN go wrong, it WILL go wrong.

Unread 02/18/2016, 06:19 PM   #40
sde1500
Registered Member

Tested the big 3 today for the first time. Right where I'd expect them using reef salt and not having much coral yet.
Kh:8.5dkh
Ca:425
Mg:1350
Corals are ok. Torch isn't fully open like it used to be. But I've been messing with the tank a lot cleaning off algae. One frag of zoas had some decent algae growth on it so pulled it and scrubbed the plug with a toothbrush dipped in peroxide. Dipped a few rocks in peroxide too. The other zoa plug is looking real good. I do need to find a spot for it in the rocks though.

Unread 02/21/2016, 02:27 PM   #41
leviburns89
Registered Member

What do you have as far as a clean up crew?

Could potentially save some hassle with algae.

Granted, the algae would just be converted into snail/hermit poo, but that can be vacuumed without disturbing the tank inhabitants

Unread 02/21/2016, 07:12 PM   #42
sde1500
Registered Member

Ordered a package from reefcleaners and bought some extra astrinea as well. Tank is very well stocked with algae eaters. Next round of fish will have a starry or lawnmower blenny as well.

Unread 02/21/2016, 08:09 PM   #43
leviburns89
Registered Member

Very nice.

How did you like shopping from reefcleaners? I've been wanting to try them out.

Starry blenny's are so pretty, but I hear lawnmower blenny can eat some serious algae.

Unread 02/22/2016, 10:01 AM   #44
sde1500
Registered Member

It was pretty easy. I ordered a slightly downsized cleaner package, I believe it was the 40 gallon size. I think ordering the one sized for your tank just has too many snails. Can't complain about it really, they came when they were supposed to, and though it was a little cold when I got the package, it looks like just about all of them survived. GFO reactor will be coming in soon, that will really be my means of controlling the algae, the snails do ok, but they won't be able to keep it down completely.

Unread 02/22/2016, 11:11 AM   #45
leviburns89
Registered Member

I've been on the fence about gfo. Yes it works, but my lord does it get expensive. I think it's best used to maintain good phos levels vs bring high levels down.

From what I've read, carbon dosing with vodka or vinegar is a much cheaper and easier way to bring phos down over the long run.

Unread 02/22/2016, 01:07 PM   #46
sde1500
Registered Member

I have very little nitrate right now, so trying to reduce phosphates by dosing will be limited by that factor. I'd rather use something that specifically targets phosphates. And with only 2 fish right now, feeding heavy to increase nitrates isn't really a great option, and I'd rather not have to dose nitrates, just to dose something else.

Longer term I am thinking to run the reactor for bio-pellets, so getting it now for GFO, then later for pellets I think makes sense.

Unread 03/02/2016, 02:00 PM   #47
sde1500
Registered Member

My 65 Gallon build

TLF 150 phosban reactor is here and installed. Ready to start my war on algae. It's not horrible but there is more of it than I'd like to have. So time to start reducing it. Just in time too, with more corals coming this weekend after NEFFM!

Unread 03/07/2016, 05:13 PM   #48
sde1500
Registered Member

Well the Connecticut FFM was awesome. Amazing to see so many people, and table after table of coral. Had a great time. Wife had to keep my spending in check though, so many tempting corals haha. Came away with some great stuff. A couple heads of frogspawn, pink/purple tip hammer, and 4 polyp Wowser zoas that I just can't get a good iPhone picture of. Also got some Rastas and utter chaos, a nice blasto that has two small babies budding, and a ricordea Yuma. All seem very happy in the tank so far. A few are already in their permanent locations and the rest will be soon as well. Played around with a camera app for these pictures. Really need a good camera, this phone can't handle the blue lighting.

Unread 03/07/2016, 08:09 PM   #49
leviburns89
Registered Member

Gorgeous frags!

Just made my order from vivid, can't wait to see them.

It's like Christmas isn't it!

Can you take a pic of your tank? I want to see how your algae issue is going. I too have quite a bit of long algae, but I have 10 scarlet hermits on the way to help eat away at that

Those utter chaos zoas are so amazing

Unread 03/08/2016, 07:47 PM   #50
sde1500
Registered Member

Thanks! Yea I was happy to get these in the tank. I'll be ordering some fish and corals from vivid soon too. Tank is t algae free yet, but I've scrubbed down some of the rocks so there isn't much long growth. A couple patchy areas left and some on the sand but looking much better. Can't get a good pic now with just the blues.

Sunset over the reef: