Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/25/2019, 11:38 PM   #1
Mohreef
Registered Member

Phosban with copper

Hi I am in the process of removing the copper from my tank after treating for ick. I will like to resume using phosban, is it safe to do so or will the phosban and copper interact and cause problems. Thanks for any advice

Mohreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2019, 07:26 PM   #2
zachfishman
Registered Member

There should be no issue running GFO when you are removing copper. I haven’t done any tests, but IME GFO can remove some forms of copper medication - but again not a problem as you are in the process of removal.

Note that copper meds are not 100% effective against the encysted reproductive stage of ich (tomont stage), which can generally persist up to 30 days in most cases. Removing copper prematurely can result in reinfection if any tomonts “hatch” after you have removed copper.

If ich returns, hyposalinity is an excellent option for long term (60-90 days) stress treatment of FO and FOWLR tanks.

Tampa Bay Reef Club BOD 2018

Current Tank Info: 34g modded Solana
zachfishman is offline   Reply With Quote