Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/20/2018, 09:59 AM   #1
Boochika
Registered Member

First SW Tank : 80G Aquarium Build

My first foray into saltwater and the wife and I decided on an 80 gallon tank for our home. So far I've got a Berlin S2 sump and will be buying a Reef Octopus Varios 6 pump shortly. I also think I have a Tunze 9410 Skimmer lined up for myself.

My tank is a custom drilled job coming this week, I'm going herbie method with 3 bottom drilled holes (all for 1" bulkheads).

I started my stand build last weekend and this is the progress so far is shown below. I've got a lot more supports to put in on the bottom and the top but I need to get more wood, the thing is square and level so I'm pleased.

Boochika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 10:43 AM   #2
nereefpat
Registered Member

Looks good so far.

It sounds like you know this, but you'll want a 2x4 in each corner between the top and bottom boxes.

You probably won't need one in the front panel, but it wouldn't hurt.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 11:27 AM   #3
Boochika
Registered Member

Yea I was going to put 2 are each corner to reinforce the top box, but thanks for the heads up.

I'm also planning to add some beams to the bottom to brace the 2x4 upright supports. Planning that this week after work sometime. I'll update with more pics as it happens

I don't know about a center support in the front as my sump is wide at 30 inches and I want to be able to move it out if it fails for whatever reason. So I might do something different in the front.

Unread 03/20/2018, 01:59 PM   #4
fishy_mcfish
Registered Member

Here are a few pics of my stand build for my 80 gal I use to have. It was my first time building a stand. I built it higher then normal stands so I had more room working in the sump. I believe it was about 40” tall

fishy_mcfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 02:00 PM   #5
fishy_mcfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boochika View Post
Yea I was going to put 2 are each corner to reinforce the top box, but thanks for the heads up.

I'm also planning to add some beams to the bottom to brace the 2x4 upright supports. Planning that this week after work sometime. I'll update with more pics as it happens

I don't know about a center support in the front as my sump is wide at 30 inches and I want to be able to move it out if it fails for whatever reason. So I might do something different in the front.
I didn’t put a center support on mine and it was fine. Just beefed up the corners with additional 2x4’s

Unread 03/22/2018, 11:31 AM   #6
Boochika
Registered Member

Thank you all on advice for the stand. Should be just about finished this weekend and I'll update with pics.

next question is about return pumps, since I'll have an 80 gallon tank with about a 20-25 gallon sump and 6-8' of head I'm between choosing pumps at this point.

I like the DC options as they are fascinating and QUIET, which would be nice because I will have the thank in my living area, but I'm also nervous about reliability.

I also have a sump that is preplumbed for an external pump which would give me a huge area for a refugium/reactor area.

I've read enough about DC internal pumps, but what kind of quiet external pumps are out there and what size GPH pump should I shoot for given my tank size and head pressure. I'm thinking I want about 6x flow in sump and 10 flow in DT. I'm starting off as a FOWLR tank. The reeflo swordtail looks like a great pump but too powerful for my application.

Unread 04/03/2018, 08:45 AM   #7
Boochika
Registered Member

So I'm really slowly finishing my stand build , it's all square and level. All i have left to do is make the cut out for the access to the sump as well as trim the bottom and top where the tank will sit.

To update I've coated the interior and exterior with Polycrylic satin finish to give it that extra layer of water and wear protection. I figured more was better than too little.

Question about testing the system (pump/plumbing/skimmer/etc.), should I test it in place in the house where it will be sitauted or should I test it in the garage in case I have any leaks or issues with the plumbing?

What have other people done on this site?

Unread 04/03/2018, 09:13 AM   #8
fishy_mcfish
Registered Member

Quote:
So I'm really slowly finishing my stand build , it's all square and level. All i have left to do is make the cut out for the access to the sump as well as trim the bottom and top where the tank will sit.

To update I've coated the interior and exterior with Polycrylic satin finish to give it that extra layer of water and wear protection. I figured more was better than too little.

Question about testing the system (pump/plumbing/skimmer/etc.), should I test it in place in the house where it will be sitauted or should I test it in the garage in case I have any leaks or issues with the plumbing?

What have other people done on this site?

Looking good! As far as testing plumbing, I just assembled everything in my house and hoped for the best lol. I like to live on the edge I guess, and I had tile floors at the time so I figured it couldn’t hurt to much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 04/03/2018, 09:17 AM   #9
Bpb
Registered Member

I’d definitely prefer to test outside. Even if you have tile floors, if you didn’t silicone all the baseboards where they meet the floor and sheetrock it doesn’t matter. You can still soak all that drywall, and wood in the walls which can mold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2018, 09:19 AM   #10
fishy_mcfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpb View Post
I’d definitely prefer to test outside. Even if you have tile floors, if you didn’t silicone all the baseboards where they meet the floor and sheetrock it doesn’t matter. You can still soak all that drywall, and wood in the walls which can mold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree, testing outside is the best and safest method. I took a chance and got lucky

Unread 04/03/2018, 09:52 AM   #11
ImTacticool
Registered Member

Looks pretty solid so far. Nice construction from one handyman to another!

ImTacticool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2018, 04:15 PM   #12
Cstone123
Registered Member

I’m a licensed builder, and a hobbies furniture builder, I see a few things that I would have done different but I would feel safe using it myself. Good luck.

Cstone123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2018, 11:36 PM   #13
Boochika
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstone123 View Post
I’m a licensed builder, and a hobbies furniture builder, I see a few things that I would have done different but I would feel safe using it myself. Good luck.
I'd love to hear your recommendations, this is my first time ever building furniture. Only prior have built skateboard ramps and boxes.

Unread 04/19/2018, 12:15 PM   #14
Boochika
Registered Member

OK so I should be moving my stand and filling aquarium this weekend, are there any concerns besides the obvious tank leak with putting my powerstrip in my stand with my other equipment? I feel like salt creep and open outlets could be an issue? I was planning to use plug protectors for unused sockets.

Other option would be to drill through wall behind tank which has access to my wife's closet. This could be a better option but I'm not sure she'll be thrilled about it or that all cords will reach that far.

Unread 04/19/2018, 12:25 PM   #15
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
are there any concerns besides the obvious tank leak with putting my powerstrip in my stand with my other equipment?
Nope. I think most folks put the power strip in the stand.

You will want to use a GFCI receptacle though. That will protect you from getting shocked or burning your house down.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
Unread 04/19/2018, 01:05 PM   #16
Boochika
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
Nope. I think most folks put the power strip in the stand.

You will want to use a GFCI receptacle though. That will protect you from getting shocked or burning your house down.

GFCI is a good idea , i'll put that in tonight to be ahead of the game.

Unread 04/23/2018, 03:11 PM   #17
Boochika
Registered Member

Almost there

Ran my test set up in the garage last weekend and the herbie performed swimmingly (pun intended).

Peek at the plumbing, it's pretty cramped down there (should have made the stand 6" taller) but I made one manifold for what I plan to be a carbon/GFO combined reactor.

And here it is in the house with the front panel installed. I just need to finish trimming around the top of the tank.

Let me know what you think.

Unread 05/01/2018, 11:08 AM   #18
Boochika
Registered Member

Cycle is underway, checked parameters couple days ago:

82 degrees
2ppm ammonia
.1 nitrite
10 nitrate
9.5 dKH Alk
1.025 salinity

Is it normal to have such high nitrates before nitrite has really spiked? And what will nitrite typically peak too?

Unread 05/01/2018, 03:28 PM   #19
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
Is it normal to have such high nitrates before nitrite has really spiked? And what will nitrite typically peak too?
The nitrates are reading falsely high because of the presence of nitrites. They aren't actually 10ppm. Common problem with the way we test for nitrates.

As long as you aren't adding any more ammonia (and you shouldn't be), 2ppm ammonia will break down into about 5ppm nitrite and then into about 7ppm nitrate.

Unread 05/01/2018, 03:37 PM   #20
Boochika
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
As long as you aren't adding any more ammonia (and you shouldn't be)
I was phantom feeding every other day, should I stop doing this?

I thought if you stopped the source of ammonia the bacterial colony would die?

Unread 05/01/2018, 05:12 PM   #21
Icewing726
Registered Member

Show off... seriously nice job though. Find some hardy fish to cycle with and bio spira is amazing stuff (lion fish, 2 wrasses, foxface, and an even worse prior experience to back it's potency).

Icewing726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2018, 06:02 PM   #22
PitViper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewing726 View Post
Show off... seriously nice job though. Find some hardy fish to cycle with and bio spira is amazing stuff (lion fish, 2 wrasses, foxface, and an even worse prior experience to back it's potency).

DO NOT cycle with fish. It’s mean and inhumane. Use the biospira. And maybe a shrimp (like I did). That way you don’t take the risk of half killing your HARDY fully alive fish.

PitViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2018, 06:13 PM   #23
Boochika
Registered Member

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic. No way I'm using fish to cycle. I'm Mr patient.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Anyone know about assessor fish? Seems cool but I haven't seen much about them on the forum

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon simple set up with sump filtration
Unread 05/01/2018, 06:15 PM   #24
homer1475
Registered Member

No he's not being sarcastic, it's how it was always done in the old days. The hobby has moved on from this cruel and inhumane method of cycling a tank.

Anyways, bacteria have been shown to live for well over a year with 0 food source. You don't have to continually feed them. If you added ammonia, just let it cycle.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2018, 06:17 PM   #25
Boochika
Registered Member

Ok will do. There's a bunch of decaying shrimp pellets in there now. I might try to remove some of it when I do my partial water change this weekend. That will be week 2 for me.

Or should I wait for nitrites to drop. Before water change?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Anyone know about assessor fish? Seems cool but I haven't seen much about them on the forum

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon simple set up with sump filtration