Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/12/2016, 07:39 PM   #51
Chicagoreef2016
Registered Member

I really like that low profile rock work.

Chicagoreef2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2016, 06:38 PM   #52
madweazl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoreef2016 View Post
I really like that low profile rock work.
Needed some more negative space but didnt want to make it too artificial looking! I think the shadows created by the overhangs create a lot of depth (doesnt show well in the pictures) and the fish seem to really enjoy hanging out in the shadows to keep an eye on you. They're out and above the structure a lot more then they were previously (current isnt as strong above it now either). Still a little cloudy but I'm liking it.

Last edited by madweazl; 07/15/2016 at 06:44 PM.
madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2016, 11:31 AM   #53
madweazl
Registered Member

20g water change completed. Removed optics from LEDs and increased the intensity on the white channel (both channels at 30% now).

Phosphate - .015
dkH - 9

Last edited by madweazl; 07/16/2016 at 11:49 AM.
Unread 07/19/2016, 03:31 PM   #54
madweazl
Registered Member

Lost my clown last night. I had literally posted that he was doing fantastic the night before and that he had doubled in size since arrival. Came home from work yesterday to find him breathing rapidly but no other signs of disease, parasite, or abuse. My anthias had ich, no doubt about that but the clown never showed any signs of it (no scratching, no spots, no nothing). I've been doing this 20 years and the only thing I've ever seen take down a clown fast (less than 48 hours) was brooklynella but this little guy was perfect appearance wise and it is easy to spot. The only thing I could think of was that maybe he had been harassed while I was at work and was just exhausted so I moved him to the refugium. The lights come on at 10am and my wife feeds them shortly after but said she didnt observe them because she was busy with other stuff so I dont know at what point what ever happened, began. At 945pm the night before he was doing great (their last feeding of the day).

Water parameters all check out; no ammonia, nitrite, nitrate undetectable, phosphate .015, pH between 7.9 and 8.1 for weeks, dkH 9, salinity 1.0255 to 1.026. I just dont have any theories. The angel and anthias show no signs of labored breathing, the skimmer isnt running abnormally to indicate something ended up in the tank that shouldnt, ATO working like it should. What the hell kills a fish in less than 24 hours with no visible signs? Crappy day!

Unread 07/23/2016, 01:43 PM   #55
madweazl
Registered Member

Phosphate up to .021 today. Everything looking good (minus my little buddy).

Unread 07/23/2016, 08:04 PM   #56
Luckedout
Registered Member

Good looking tank! So clean underneath.

Luckedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2016, 03:09 PM   #57
madweazl
Registered Member

I've been out of town the last month so my wife had to step up and take care of everything. She has done it before so I wasnt to worried but she has never messed with a controller so that was a potential issue. Happy to report that everything is looking great though. She has been feeding about three times what I put in the tank (I feed three times a day but she has at least tripled the amount if not quadrupled at each feeding). When she showed me how much, I nearly fainted. The macros in the refugium exploded with growth but did their job admirably. She cleaned the glass a couple of times but even that looked quite good. She didnt clean the back glass but I didnt have much trouble there either (quite a few tube worms had started to take hold but they're gone now). Pod population is a little stronger than when I left (3rd of August I think).

I cleaned the skimmer and carbon reactor today along with the scrubbing and some pruning of the refugium. Mixed up the salt and will change 20g tomorrow. Also added a carpenters wrasse, pajama cardinal, and a single head duncan coral. The wrasse was a little beat up but I had to have 'em; hopefully it comes back strong (already exploring and eating well). The anthias and angel have payed no mind to the new guys and couldnt seem to care less at this point (probably has a lot to do with the enormous feeding sessions they have enjoyed the last month). The angel doesnt look much different but the anthias has gotten huge; she doesnt look much longer but has grown significantly taller and a little bit wider).

Wife did a fantastic job

Unread 09/02/2016, 02:48 PM   #58
madweazl
Registered Member

Few pictures of the new guys.

Duncan

Pajama mid right (been very reclusive thus far)

Torch

Green polyp toadstool (always been one of my favorites)

Hidden tiger...

Hermit inadvertently walked over the pistol and scared it half to death so it jump up snapping like crazy which scared the bejesus out of the hermit who beat feat. The pistol took off running and ran right into the the YWG that was just added (must have been fate).

Wrasse is still a little stressed but is coloring up nicely.

Unread 09/08/2016, 02:42 PM   #59
madweazl
Registered Member

Anemone is starting to poke out for some light.

Unread 09/14/2016, 05:31 PM   #60
madweazl
Registered Member

Time for a water change but I might push it off until Monday since we're having a house full of people this weekend and there is lots to do around the house still. It has been two weeks since the last change. YWG has been exceptionally reclusive; was hoping he/she would be a little more adventurous but alas, it is typical. Havent been able to find a Randall's goby in stock anywhere so the wait continues for one of those (they have always stayed out at the entrance to the casa in my previous tanks). Additions arriving tomorrow are: Kaudurn's cardinal, chalk bass, yellowhead jawfish, and some additional members to the CUC (20 snails, cucumber, and a brittle star).

PO4 - .061
dKh - 8

Unread 09/14/2016, 06:14 PM   #61
Ogi
Registered Member

More photos for the love of God haha, can I see the sump please

Ogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2016, 03:46 PM   #62
madweazl
Registered Member

Few new additions today.

Mail order fish; why not...

Used LiveAquaria's float method with an assist from wifey's hair jobbies.

Unread 09/16/2016, 11:22 AM   #63
iliriano6
Registered Member

Nice set up.

iliriano6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2016, 03:12 PM   #64
madweazl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliriano6 View Post
Nice set up.
Thanks. Plenty left to do but I was out of town all of August and I've been slightly lazy since returning. Still trying to decide if I'm going to have a canopy done or just move up to a larger tank and leave this as is for now.

Unread 09/22/2016, 05:09 PM   #65
madweazl
Registered Member

Had a Randall's goby come in yesterday that was on its death bed. Shipped from Live Aquaria, it arrived with no packing peanuts and an ice pack right up against the small bag. The goby was motionless and not breathing. After about 30 seconds of inspecting the bag I noticed a pectoral fin barely wave. After another five to 10 seconds it gasped for air and then went motionless again. I floated the bag and the goby repeated the gasps for air every 30-45 seconds (no other gill movement what-so-ever). After roughly 15 minutes I opened the bag and used their recommended floating acclimation process. Every four minutes I added a half a cup of water and poured it in from a ways up to agitate the water (the goby was totally unresponsive and just floated upside down). I repeated this process at least 10 times and moved the goby to my sump so I could retrieve the corpse that was inevitable. The goby arrived to my home around 9:45am and by 8pm, the goby was purposefully moving in the sump (this started around 7pm). Breathing was still erratic but it would move a short distance and you could tell it meant to go to that spot. It was able to holds itself upright now. Since the sump lights come on all night for the refugium, I decided to move it to the main tank so it could rest up with the lights out. It immediately found the burrows that the existing tiger pistol had made and dropped down in the tunnels. Fast forward almost 24 hours and I come home to this:

He/she didnt eat this afternoon but is looking much better. I'm actually optimistic that this little guy that was as close to dead as anything could get, will actually pull through.

Unread 09/23/2016, 07:27 AM   #66
jstephens24
Registered Member

awesome. hopefully it make sit through. I have a 75g also. what is your fish list as of now in the tank?

Unread 09/23/2016, 08:09 AM   #67
electronaught
Registered Member

Thanks for such an inspirational build.

You've definitely set the bar high for cleanliness of install and organization of all the mechanical and electrical elements!

I look forward to seeing the continuation!

electronaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2016, 08:31 AM   #68
Pandagobyguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronaught View Post

You've definitely set the bar high for cleanliness of install and organization of all the mechanical and electrical elements!

I was just thinking "how can i do my install for my 95 like he did"

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Pandagobyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2016, 08:33 AM   #69
jeff240gallon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madweazl View Post
Had a Randall's goby come in yesterday that was on its death bed. Shipped from Live Aquaria, it arrived with no packing peanuts and an ice pack right up against the small bag. The goby was motionless and not breathing. After about 30 seconds of inspecting the bag I noticed a pectoral fin barely wave. After another five to 10 seconds it gasped for air and then went motionless again. I floated the bag and the goby repeated the gasps for air every 30-45 seconds (no other gill movement what-so-ever). After roughly 15 minutes I opened the bag and used their recommended floating acclimation process. Every four minutes I added a half a cup of water and poured it in from a ways up to agitate the water (the goby was totally unresponsive and just floated upside down). I repeated this process at least 10 times and moved the goby to my sump so I could retrieve the corpse that was inevitable. The goby arrived to my home around 9:45am and by 8pm, the goby was purposefully moving in the sump (this started around 7pm). Breathing was still erratic but it would move a short distance and you could tell it meant to go to that spot. It was able to holds itself upright now. Since the sump lights come on all night for the refugium, I decided to move it to the main tank so it could rest up with the lights out. It immediately found the burrows that the existing tiger pistol had made and dropped down in the tunnels. Fast forward almost 24 hours and I come home to this:

He/she didnt eat this afternoon but is looking much better. I'm actually optimistic that this little guy that was as close to dead as anything could get, will actually pull through.

That's odd from live aquaria, they usually over pack mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeff240gallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2016, 10:50 AM   #70
madweazl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstephens24 View Post
awesome. hopefully it make sit through. I have a 75g also. what is your fish list as of now in the tank?
Coral beauty, female lyretail anthias, chalk bass, yellowhead jawfish, and a Randall's goby. There was/is a yellow watchman goby (havent seen it in weeks but not unusual for them though I would have thought it and the Randall's would have raised a stink together) and a yellow assessor (hasnt shown his/her face since introduced to the tank but it's only been three days).

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronaught View Post

I took elements from other peoples builds and incorporated it into this one. There are still lots of things I'd like to do a bit different but I'll wait for the next build (planning on going bigger soon).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandagobyguy View Post
I was just thinking "how can i do my install for my 95 like he did"

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
These build threads are fantastic for gathering ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff240gallon View Post
That's odd from live aquaria, they usually over pack mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The previous order was packed very well. Thankfully, the goby appears to have recovered and seems to be well.

Unread 09/23/2016, 10:51 AM   #71
madweazl
Registered Member

Ugh, that time again. I've been lazy and went three weeks this time. I need to build a mixing station here pretty soon. At 20g it isnt bad but if/when I step up to a bigger tank this just isnt going to work.

Using the Hanna ULR:

Fresh mixed RC with RODI: .015ppm

Aquarium three weeks after previous water change: .01 first test .0 second test (last weekend it was .062 I believe)

KH: ~7

If I hadnt been lazy last weekend it probably wouldnt have dropped below 8. Nice to see it actually start to come down though (time for some two part).

Unread 09/23/2016, 02:14 PM   #72
madweazl
Registered Member

This little guy is quickly becoming my favorite fish of all time. It has so much character! Always twists its little head observing you and everything else that is going on. It is just like a pug only in the water; I was cracking up the whole time. Was shy at first but is really inquisitive now and wants to see what is happening. Must have for any aquarium!

Unread 09/23/2016, 03:14 PM   #73
jraker
Registered Member

I know what you mean. They have so much character. My 4 are my favorite fish.

Current Tank Info: 36 gallon reef, 65 gallon Caribbean Biotope macroalgae and seagrass tank
jraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2016, 06:10 PM   #74
madweazl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstephens24 View Post
The yellow assessor just popped out; he's living dangerously in the same tunnels as the goby and tiger pistol apparently. Heard a pop and he came swimming out LOL.

Unread 09/23/2016, 07:24 PM   #75
madweazl
Registered Member

When we bought the angel, it dwarfed the anthias. Fast forward roughly three months and she has turned into a bruiser. Colored up fantastic and is growing like a weed. Very mellow mannered but I swear she is part grouper.

The pipe organ that was purchased from a local forum member is opening up nicely (guess it didnt get the memo about being bed time) too.