Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/21/2020, 06:16 PM   #6151
ThRoewer
Registered Member

So in 2 years they doubled their length. Mine grew from about 2" to about 5" in 4 years. The growth rate in both cases is 0.75"/year.
When comparing them to flame angels you need to keep in mind that regal angels have likely a life expectancy of 40 to 60 years or even more while flame angels get 8 years old at the most. So it is no surprise they grow a lot faster.

Here some interesting research on angelfish age, growth, and sex:

Age-based demography and reproductive ontogeny of angelfishes belonging to the family Pomacanthidae

Age and Growth by Scale Analysis of Pomacanthus imperator (Teleostei: Pomacanthidae) from Dongsha Islands...

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2020, 10:37 PM   #6152
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Day 5 and she is eating flakes well:

Also, based on the LiveAquaria listings, it looks like QM got more Maldives Regals in.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 03/23/2020, 11:20 PM   #6153
scuzy
Registered Member

I’m still trying to entice mine to read. Just hope he starts eating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2020, 11:28 PM   #6154
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzy View Post
I’m still trying to entice mine to read.
The reason why it fails to read English might be due to the fact that the language on the Maldives is actually Dhivehi.

Unread 03/23/2020, 11:32 PM   #6155
scuzy
Registered Member

Oops typo meant to say eat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2020, 11:56 PM   #6156
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzy View Post
Oops typo meant to say eat
I figured

When and where did you get it?

My new one was going after pods 15 minutes after I released her from the bag.

Unread 03/25/2020, 01:53 PM   #6157
OrionN
Moved on

I actually also like the coloration of the Philippine Regal. I like the dark fish and the bluish chest. Darker fish over all when compared to the Indian Ocean Regal.Here are pictures of my Philippine Regal. My first Regal. I no longer have him. Killed by Hurricane Harvey

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BluChestRegal2.jpg (102.7 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg BluChestRegal3.jpg (95.1 KB, 73 views)

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2020, 02:03 PM   #6158
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I also like the Pacific Regals if they have the blue chest, not so much the ones with a washed out gray.
They actually look their best in darker tanks with almost exclusively blue light.
I'm kind of sad that I don't really have any good pictures/videos of my Philippine Regal that died last year out of the blue.
But my Philippine baby Regal is doing great and I hope I can raise him to become a stunning adult.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Unread 03/25/2020, 04:35 PM   #6159
OrionN
Moved on

Mine was stunning. I have him with Radion at 100% on all channels with no extra blue. He was an exceptional color and slight misbarred.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 03/25/2020, 08:37 PM   #6160
davelin315
10 & Over Club

I am currently quarantining two regals, both from the Maldives. I have the larger of the two eating just about everything I offer now and the smaller one is only eating baby brine shrimp and occasionally pecks at mysis, clam, and krill. These are my 3rd and 4th regals, the previous two being a Red Sea and Phillipines specimen. The two older ones were bonded with the Red Sea being the male and the Phillipine one being the female. They would swim together and it was a wonderful site watching their courtship behaviors. I lost them to velvet (along with all of my other fish about 8 years ago) and am trying them for the first time again now. The smaller one I have is only about 1.5" and is one of the smallest I have ever seen available.

This is a feeding video from 2011 of my original "pair" with the blue belly Phillipine female being far more shy. It took me almost 3 months to get each of these fattened up to the point where they would eat anything that was in front of them and be strong enough to compete with the rest of my fish (as you can see from the video there were some big fellas in the tank with them and a lot of feeding competition).
https://youtu.be/gfmDlkIe7Ck

This is a small clip of the current larger regal.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TD529sUGLhKuqT8GA

Here's the smaller one.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qbiv6Lcrwcy5Cytp6

Maintain multiple tanks at Floris Elementary School where I teach 5th grade (FOWLR and Mantis Tank in my room, various FOWLR and mixed reefs in the school).

Vice President for the Washington, DC Area Marine Aquarist Society (WAMAS)

Current Tank Info: 650+ gallon home system, multiple school tanks ranging from 15 gallons up to 75 gallons
davelin315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2020, 09:41 PM   #6161
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Feeding my Regals in quarantine.

The little Philippine Regal is done with his 60 days of observational quarantine and I plan on moving him to another tank soon.

The Maldives Regal still has some infected wounds and unidentified spots but eating is no longer a concern.

Unread 03/29/2020, 12:05 PM   #6162
orly20
Registered Member

NYAquatics has some Regals from Madagascar. Anyone know how hardy the Regals from this region are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orly20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2020, 12:47 PM   #6163
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly20 View Post
NYAquatics has some Regals from Madagascar. Anyone know how hardy the Regals from this region are?

Based on the other fish coming from Madagascar I would think that they are okay.
With Regals it comes very much down to how the fish are collected and treated after collection. The collectors on Madagascar seem to be doing a decent job in that regard.

Where the Regals from there belong in respect to the specimen from the Red Sea and Indian Ocean is so far unclear as were not included in the recent study that analyzed the relationship of the Regals from different locations.

Unread 04/05/2020, 12:31 PM   #6164
orly20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
Based on the other fish coming from Madagascar I would think that they are okay.
With Regals it comes very much down to how the fish are collected and treated after collection. The collectors on Madagascar seem to be doing a decent job in that regard.

Where the Regals from there belong in respect to the specimen from the Red Sea and Indian Ocean is so far unclear as were not included in the recent study that analyzed the relationship of the Regals from different locations.

I have had the Madagascan Regal for a week now and Michael Stern from nyaquatics said "honestly, they're all eating really well
for some reason, the madagascar ones eat better than the red sea".

So far the regal hasn't eaten a thing, I have been home watching and introducing food to the DT throughout the day and nothing. Michael Stern said they were being feed Hikari Mysis but I have been giving clams, mysis, flake, live brine, Nori, LRS and pellets. It hasn't even picked at my rocks which are very mature with tons of sponges all over. I feel like a fool ordering from NYaquatics because this same thing happened to me over a year ago with a Maldives Yellow that was. "eating well" which died two months later in my dt due not eating and it lived off its body fat. I watched it wither away and I tried everything then as well. I am just hoping he starts eating coral at this point lol

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I have read all the threads and its so hit or miss with these fish but for NYaquatics to claim they eat better then Redsea is misleading.

Unread 04/05/2020, 12:34 PM   #6165
orly20
Registered Member

It's so gorgeous as it swims throughout the tank exploring but not eating. I guess patience and prayer are the only things I can do now.

Unread 04/05/2020, 01:52 PM   #6166
mike61289
Registered Member

The regal angel I kept years ago loved to pick at Nori and Caulerpa. You can try starting with those.

Unread 04/05/2020, 02:16 PM   #6167
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Adding some caulerpa is always a good idea.
But if the fish doesn't even look for food then something else is wrong.
The only fix for might be force feeding, something I don't recommend unless you have experience with it or know someone who could do it.

Unread 04/05/2020, 02:27 PM   #6168
orly20
Registered Member

I do see it picking at at the today, so it’s a start. I don’t want to rush things but since stuck at home I’ll keep trying different foods throughout the day

Unread 04/05/2020, 07:56 PM   #6169
OrionN
Moved on

Here was 1 of my two Regal on 10/19/2019. Same size as the male Flame angel.

Same fish in 4/2020

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RegalFlame2019100901Resized.jpg (77.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg RegalAngelYellowChest2020040301.jpg (70.8 KB, 55 views)

Unread 04/06/2020, 01:46 PM   #6170
alton
Registered Member

My misfits. The only fish missing is my smaller Blueface and Flame.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg all fish but one 4-4-20.jpg (68.2 KB, 23 views)
alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2020, 08:51 PM   #6171
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
My misfits. The only fish missing is my smaller Blueface and Flame.
With the large angels of the Euxiphipops group (P. navarchus, P. xanthometopon, P. sexstriatus) the sex of juveniles is determined permanently by their social standing when they mature. Once set they don't change sex anymore. So with these, it is important to start with immature juveniles to actually get a pair.

Unread 04/12/2020, 08:54 PM   #6172
OrionN
Moved on

What about Regal Angel? I got two young ones. Together since they were 1 inch.

Unread 04/12/2020, 09:17 PM   #6173
ThRoewer
Registered Member

The Regal angels are closely related to the angels of the genus Holacanthus and at least Holacanthus tricolor has been found to be monandric protogynous.
It's still best to start with immature juveniles. My large Maldives Regal is starting to show male characteristics like a more stretched body shape and a growth of the opercular thorn. On the other hand, my latest Maldive Regal shows more of a disk-shaped body and a much smaller opercular thorn.
I know that at least one aquarist in Germany (Joachim Großkopf) was successful in pairing Regal Angels by selecting males and females and pair them.
I personally prefer to start with babies as small as possible.

Unread 04/12/2020, 09:59 PM   #6174
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly20 View Post
I do see it picking at at the today, so it’s a start. I don’t want to rush things but since stuck at home I’ll keep trying different foods throughout the day

How’s it doing now?

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2020, 10:08 PM   #6175
orly20
Registered Member

Regal Angel Primer

Absolutely nothing NyAquatics Mike Stern is a liar! I’ve purchased several fish from him three times and horrible!!! Watched them wither away

Even though he says they are eating!!!!!

Please please BEWARE! I told Pastor Rev about NYAquatics and very little support has been given. Mike stern “claIms” all of the Regals ate, liAr!!