Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/25/2019, 10:32 PM   #1
sasq40
Registered Member

Suggestion to plumb in new sump after crash

Had my tank crash(and we got palytoxin posioning cleaning the tank afterwords) when we moved to the new place and the sump broke, so I need to redo things anyways. It's corner sump with 1.5 and 1" lines. I want it to be as quiet as possible as the tanks now in my living room vs hiding in the basement. Before I had a Durso setup with ball valves and it was a little noisy for my taste.

For the sump setup I got 2 options I'm considering. One is sump under the tank, on is to run the sump in my garage. To do that I'd have to run the lines under the tank into the crawl space and about 10-15 ft to the garage.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

sasq40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2019, 02:21 PM   #2
mattgumaer
Registered Member

I'd suggest getting a new 75 gallon tank and drilling for a Synergy style three pipe overflow, running a bean animal for minimal noise and maximum protection from flooding. Others might be in a better position to comment on transforming an existing corner overflow into to bean animal setup.

Remote sumps are nice, if possible but, in general, under tank sumps are much simpler. Personally, I'd put a plywood skin on the metal stand and put a sump in the stand.

If you are going to go the garage route, I'd give some thought to the temperature in the garage and how that might effect your ability to heat/cool the tank. I'd also be questioning/concerned about how significant horizontal runs of pipe might effect the function of your overflow but, I don't have any personal experience with this type of setup. I just know that sometimes people who have a full siphon line as a part of their overflow set up have trouble purging the line of air. I would think a long horizontal run of pipe might make this type of problem worse.

Good luck.

Matt

mattgumaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2019, 06:59 PM   #3
sasq40
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgumaer View Post
I'd suggest getting a new 75 gallon tank and drilling for a Synergy style three pipe overflow, running a bean animal for minimal noise and maximum protection from flooding. Others might be in a better position to comment on transforming an existing corner overflow into to bean animal setup.

Remote sumps are nice, if possible but, in general, under tank sumps are much simpler. Personally, I'd put a plywood skin on the metal stand and put a sump in the stand.

If you are going to go the garage route, I'd give some thought to the temperature in the garage and how that might effect your ability to heat/cool the tank. I'd also be questioning/concerned about how significant horizontal runs of pipe might effect the function of your overflow but, I don't have any personal experience with this type of setup. I just know that sometimes people who have a full siphon line as a part of their overflow set up have trouble purging the line of air. I would think a long horizontal run of pipe might make this type of problem worse.

Good luck.

Matt
Yeah I had a 75 gallon under there before as my sump. It was pretty basic with a only a 3 baffle setup with 2 sections, skimmer and return. I had a 20 gallon for a fuge but the glass crack were I Drilled it out a year down the road. I was debating drilling the tank for coast to coast bean animal but I'm kinda nervous about that, also trying to get people to help move the tank isn't easy.

Yeah the long horizontal line proably isn't ideal, also the garage is only about a foot lower then the living room, so I'd need the sump low to the ground. I like the idea of just turning valves to do a water change tho ha

Unread 03/26/2019, 08:40 PM   #4
mattgumaer
Registered Member

I've only drilled one tank so, I'm not an expert but, I think if you do it outside, use plenty of water for lubrication and take your time, it's pretty easy. I have a 180 gallon reef with standard corner overflows and a 60 cube I drilled for a Synergy Ghost style overflow and, hands down, I think the Ghost is better (the 180 is built into a closet, so the noise isn't really an issue but, I wouldn't want one in an open room).

Matt

mattgumaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2019, 08:48 AM   #5
sasq40
Registered Member

I was also thinking of maybe doing a hang on back over flow if a big one exist to make a bean animal. I'm not super nervous about drilling the tank just moving it is problematic

Unread 04/10/2019, 06:42 PM   #6
sasq40
Registered Member

So I'm thinking of going with the under tank setup, to much going on right now and no room I. The garage to do my remote sump.

Thinking I'm gonna order the eshopp r-300, what's the best suggestion on plumbing to keep this as quiet as possible. I saw a video of someone doing full shipon with the dual mega over flows, but I don't think I can fit that in my corner overflows with 2 pipes with 90s. Also then I'd have 4 drains and the eshopp only has 2 inlets? (If I go that route I was almost thinking of buy 2 r200s and running each over flow into each sump. I have 2 skimmers packed away so might work?

The last sump I had I built out of a 55 but right now there are now cheap tanks around so rather buy a new one at 300 and mess around with it I'd rather just buy one.

Unread 04/11/2019, 09:09 AM   #7
sasq40
Registered Member

Well I forgot how big my Damn skimmer was so looks like I'll be building one. Will proably use a 75 gallon I think to setup the thing with a nice fuge section