Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/04/2017, 08:39 PM   #1
Goubli
Registered Member

Let's collaborate on a RSM-S 650 (138g new setup)!

Firstly, let me introduce myself to the forum and RC community! Quick background for me is I have over 12 years of experience with saltwater, and after an 8.5 year break, I am back baby. I've been refamiliarizing myself with some of the major changes since my hiatus. Back when I had my old softy/LPS and fish reef I was on more of a shoestring budget and I always dreamed of the day when I'd have the bankroll to not cut corners or DIY as much.

That day has arrived my friends

I must admit that d2mini's Elos build really kicked this project into gear. (Thanks d2!). I'm not sure I can make a build thread as good as that one, but I will try to keep this going as a motivation for me to do it the right way versus rushing it.

In fact, this tank will be my test/project tank. I will remodel my home in a few years, and if I find that I am really enjoying being back in the hobby (as if I won't-haha!) then I will plan out a full custom job for the remodel. I've always wanted to try my hand at SPS and some mix of others so as to compare it to my experience with softies. Plus, during this test phase I should have some time to grow some sweet colonies to potentially transfer to the custom build.

I want to try and use this thread as a way to help me decide on the equipment to get and I will also try and document in detail my experiences with them so as to give feedback to this great community.

I've already had some luck as an RC member- mwcahill-is getting out right when I'm getting in and I have purchased his RSM S 650 and a fair amount of his system. Currently, we are planning to have the tank moved on Jan 13. I just put all of his old rock out to dry in the sun today, and also pulled out a 15" plus Bobbit worm!

I'm getting married on the 17th and will be going to Tahiti/Hawaii for a couple weeks for the honeymoon. Ideally, I want the rock in the tank cycling up during the entirety of that. The earliest I can get it in is likely the 14th. Between now and then I need some advice for the best way to cement some rock structure. I've heard using some acrylic or pvc, but then what? Superglue?

I watched a Mike Paletta video where I saw him stack pieces over pvc so its easier to remove rock once the colonies enlarge. I definitely want to plan this out in advance. The tank is 63"L x 22" W x 25" T.

I'd like to be able to keep a couple of LPS on the bottom with maybe a clam or two. And this brings me to my second question--lighting!

I've been voraciously reading the forum and have narrowed down to a t5 hybrid with either LED or MH. I'm currently deciding between ATI and Gieseman. I'm not sure I want dimmable t5. I've never had MH but they are proven beasts. Also, it seems like MH is phasing out a bit and I'd hate to not get a great fixture before they are more difficult to get. The heat will be an issue which is why I think LED/t5 will be my final choice unless someone sways me to MH.

Should I be ok with the 48" or do I need the 60"? I'm gonna start to read more through the t5 thread to figure out what color bulbs to get. I like a nice crisp white to very slight blue look. Or do you think I should just say screw it and go all LED? I'd need at least 3 Radions I'm sure.

The other question I'm pondering is the gyre vs vortech. I'm gonna leave off there and head back into the gyre thread for more research!

I'll figure out how to post pics soon so there will be some more substance!

Cheers

Goubli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2017, 08:46 PM   #2
Goubli
Registered Member

Quick rundown of equipment as of today-

Tank and stand 63"x 22"w x 25" tall
RSM sump and RSM return pump (not sure of brand)
Reef Octopus NW-200-6540B with upgraded pump per mwcahill.
~110 # Tonga rock
sicce pumps for closed loop RSM system

I also have an old spectrapure litermeter from my last tank that I could find a way to incorporate.

Looking forward to diving back in

Unread 01/05/2017, 11:50 AM   #3
M3 Maestro
Registered Member

I'm also thinking of getting a Red Sea 650, interested to see how you like it. Good luck

M3 Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2017, 12:51 PM   #4
Goubli
Registered Member

Thanks! I'm pretty curious how the system will work. I've decided I'm going to get the gyre 250. I'm not too sure how the RSM closed circuit system will be as far as providing turbulence. I'm considering mounting the gyre in the closed loop compartment if possible.

Do you have an M series?

Unread 01/05/2017, 02:09 PM   #5
roli112
Registered Member

Tagging along, don't rush to meet your deadline on the 17th, you definitely don't want to leave a new setup running for two weeks by itself in case of leaks or any other equipment failure.

Current Tank Info: 180g. mix reef
roli112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2017, 08:07 PM   #6
M3 Maestro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goubli View Post
Thanks! I'm pretty curious how the system will work. I've decided I'm going to get the gyre 250. I'm not too sure how the RSM closed circuit system will be as far as providing turbulence. I'm considering mounting the gyre in the closed loop compartment if possible.

Do you have an M series?

I have had multiple M3s over the years, last one was a E92 zcp.

I would love to try a 300g Marineland DD but I have read about multiple failures. From what I can tell the Red Sea is nice quality. Wish it was bigger but still a good size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M3 Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2017, 09:21 PM   #7
f3honda4me
Registered Member

I have an f80, love it.

And yea I have not heard good things about the DD.

f3honda4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2017, 10:54 PM   #8
xanthurum
Registered Member

I have the same tank but I guarantee you wouldn't know it to see it. I've built a custom stand, sump with built in refugium, went with Radions for lighting and ditched the trim to make it a rimless tank. I used super glue gel to make my rock structure. To make it stronger I used tiny rubble pieces to super glue specific areas where extra strength is needed. Then I use Gorilla glue to fill in spaces where the rocks are joined. I spray the rocks with water then put the glue where I want it and it not only penetrates the rock but it expands a little to fill in and secure it from all angles.

Current Tank Info: You want to know just ask
xanthurum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2017, 06:29 PM   #9
Goubli
Registered Member

Nice! So to understand correctly:

You superglue the bulk of the joining point w superglue and then once it sets you rinse it w water and then add gorilla glue for gaps?

Also, I can ditch that aluminum trim and the tank will have the rimless look? If so, that's what I want to do as well.

Update:
I bought my Spectrapure RO/DI today. Not only that, but I went to Spectrapure to pick it up and I had them glance over my Liter meter that has been in a box for 7 years. Turns out that the motor housing had dislodged from the epoxy being a bit defective. They said they used to have some bad epoxy and have since changed to a different type. They were kind enough to say they will warranty the item and will clean both my add on pump and update tubing and unit. Overall, it will maybe be $40-50. I thought this was very nice and fair from the company and wanted to pass that along to the forum. They will keep me as a customer for sure!

Unread 01/06/2017, 07:14 PM   #10
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:

You superglue the bulk of the joining point w superglue and then once it sets you rinse it w water and then add gorilla glue for gaps?

Also, I can ditch that aluminum trim and the tank will have the rimless look? If so, that's what I want to do as well.

Update:
I bought my Spectrapure RO/DI today. Not only that, but I went to Spectrapure to pick it up and I had them glance over my Liter meter that has been in a box for 7 years. Turns out that the motor housing had dislodged from the epoxy being a bit defective. They said they used to have some bad epoxy and have since changed to a different type. They were kind enough to say they will warranty the item and will clean both my add on pump and update tubing and unit. Overall, it will maybe be $40-50. I thought this was very nice and fair from the company and wanted to pass that along to the forum. They will keep me as a customer for sure!
Fyi,

unless you figured how much water volume you have left after live rock and sand.

the s-650 is a 175 gallon setup

Current Tank Info: 2013-RSM S-400 (Merlot) / BB / Mixed Reef / Lighting: Kessil AP700 with S-Series led bar / Bubble King 160 skimmer / GEO 2-Stage Cal Reactor with GLA dual-stage regulator / Teco TK-1000 Chiller & Heater / GFO & Purigen reactor's
GoVols is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2017, 08:45 PM   #11
xanthurum
Registered Member

I just noticed you are in Scottsdale. If your up for the drive you can come check out my tank, I'm about 40 minutes from Scottsdale. You got it right superglue then I superglue rubble pieces to fill in gaps and add strength. Lastly I use gorilla glue to fill in a few more small gaps to make it super strong.

Quote:

Update:

Unread 01/06/2017, 08:51 PM   #12
Goubli
Registered Member

You're right! I didn't realize that. I guess I'm thinking it is less than 150 because of the back of the tank with the auto top off and overflow makes the display smaller.

Unread 01/06/2017, 09:01 PM   #13
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:
You're right! I didn't realize that. I guess I'm thinking it is less than 150 because of the back of the tank with the auto top off and overflow makes the display smaller.
Do you have the original 10 t5 bulb canopy?

Current Tank Info: 2013-RSM S-400 (Merlot) / BB / Mixed Reef / Lighting: Kessil AP700 with S-Series led bar / Bubble King 160 skimmer / GEO 2-Stage Cal Reactor with GLA dual-stage regulator / Teco TK-1000 Chiller & Heater / GFO & Purigen reactor's
Unread 01/06/2017, 11:24 PM   #14
Goubli
Registered Member

Xanthurum I will probably take you up on that offer sometime! Thanks for the invite. What are you growing in yours?

Vols, I don't have that lighting setup. He was running Hydras on it and I didn't want them. If I did LED only I'd go radion anyway. A lot of the stores here in Phoenix seem to push the Kessils. Off topic-what do you think of Butch Jones? I'm an LSU guy so I know about having a very disappointing season haha!

Unread 01/07/2017, 12:09 AM   #15
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:
Xanthurum I will probably take you up on that offer sometime! Thanks for the invite. What are you growing in yours?

Vols, I don't have that lighting setup. He was running Hydras on it and I didn't want them. If I did LED only I'd go radion anyway. A lot of the stores here in Phoenix seem to push the Kessils. Off topic-what do you think of Butch Jones? I'm an LSU guy so I know about having a very disappointing season haha!
Personally off I'm holding off for the Philips "Coral Care" to hit the US before I switch over. Two will fit over my S-400 perfectly. (Watch this great BRS Video)

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/...FY8vgQod_L4GXQ

Right now MH/T5 is still the gold standard if reef lighting. Older reefers are hanging their old MH/T5 back up everyday. MH is not going anywhere for now.

Butch Jones, He has at least one more year. We just fired our AD and chancellor.
Our OC is gone too.
Butch has been and is still getting the athletes. As long as he keeps recruit top ten classes then we Vols fans to be patient. If we fired him right now. It's not like Jon Gruden is going to come home. I'm watching Tee Martins progress closely. He could be the the future but he needs more time to prove out at USC and Butch needs more time to see if he can game day coach with the big boys.

Unread 01/07/2017, 12:17 AM   #16
GoVols
Registered Member

That LSU / Bama game was the absolute best game this year.

The entire SEC East has had nothing to brag about since the Tebow days.

Unread 01/08/2017, 03:51 PM   #17
xanthurum
Registered Member

My tank was created to be mainly SPS and it was until I got AEFW and lost the bulk of my frags. I'm rebuilding my inventory so to speak.

Unread 01/08/2017, 04:26 PM   #18
Goubli
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanthurum View Post
My tank was created to be mainly SPS and it was until I got AEFW and lost the bulk of my frags. I'm rebuilding my inventory so to speak.

I read about that stuff and it scares me. I'm really worried after seeing how expensive these tiny frags and colonies cost.

Update: I signed up for tapatalk so I can post pics easier. With that said, no build thread is worth anything without some pics.

The tank, sump, pumps and skimmer have all been vinegar cleaned thanks to Marty.

All the tonga rock before being dried out. It's totally grey now after 3 days in the sun.

My RO/DI unit, skimmer and tank location are seen in the last pic. I'll remove the mirror which is larger than the size of the aquarium.

Excitement beginning to build.

Unread 01/08/2017, 07:47 PM   #19
xanthurum
Registered Member

Glad to see you ditched the stock protein skimmer. They can be a real pain to adjust and dial in.

Looking back I would have treated for AEFW a different way that probably would have far better success. I blame the loss of most of my corals to alk swings in the tiny temporary tank I used to hold them during the treatment. Live and learn.

Unread 02/06/2017, 05:06 PM   #20
Goubli
Registered Member

Ok, so it's been a while since I've been able to post/update. Was out of town getting married and thus the lapse of posts.

On to what's new. I'm curing the old Tonga rock since Feb 2 and it stinks! Haha. I ordered lots of equipment and more rock for some options moving forward w aquascaping. IMG_7396.jpg

This is 50# of Pukani which is great rock from BRS.

This is 50 of Fiji, which I must say is extremely disappointing. It feels really dense and is so smooth that it seems like it'll be a massive headache trying to aquascape and mix in with my other rock. There's only a couple of decent pieces with any interesting shape and I feel like I just got sent a box of base rock.

I have had a painter come over to collaborate on painting the stand and trim as the red/merlot color just won't be tolerable in my living room long term.

Unread 02/06/2017, 05:15 PM   #21
Goubli
Registered Member

Ok, so as far as lighting I went Giesmann aurora 60" w ATI bulbs (2 aquablue special, coral plus, and purple plus) and plan on using the LED to essentially add more of the blue spectrum as I'll be leaning on the t5 as most of my PAR spectrum.

I also just got these goodies.

I think I may send the Hanna calcium checker back. What should I use for that? In the past I was all Salifert. Should I keep it? I did get the ultra low phosphate per BRS advice.

I guess I'll go outside and check how much ammonia I've got in my curing rock bin.

I'm kind of wishing I'd held of starting the cure so I could've dryscaped a bit first.

Any advice appreciated!

Unread 02/06/2017, 05:23 PM   #22
2una
Registered Member

Quote:
I have had a painter come over to collaborate on painting the stand and trim as the red/merlot color just won't be tolerable in my living room long term.
Redsea sell kits to change it - just don't expect the price to be pretty.
Think its 2 - a cabinet kit & a trim kit

When you fit the sump into position:
Just remember with the apex if you going to use their magnetic probe holder that the more clearance you give yourself on one side will make it easier to put the outer magnet where you want it......also applies if you ever end up fitting a Tunze ATO with their magnet mounted sensor
Pushing the sump more to 1 side can give you a bit more hand room & clearance for the thickness of the magnets to fit into

Last edited by 2una; 02/06/2017 at 05:46 PM.
2una is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2017, 05:43 PM   #23
roli112
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok, so as far as lighting I went Giesmann aurora 60" w ATI bulbs (2 aquablue special, coral plus, and purple plus) and plan on using the LED to essentially add more of the blue spectrum as I'll be leaning on the t5 as most of my PAR spectrum.

I also just got these goodies.

I think I may send the Hanna calcium checker back. What should I use for that? In the past I was all Salifert. Should I keep it? I did get the ultra low phosphate per BRS advice.

I guess I'll go outside and check how much ammonia I've got in my curing rock bin.

I'm kind of wishing I'd held of starting the cure so I could've dryscaped a bit first.

Any advice appreciated!
Yes send the Hanna Calcium back, I regret buying mine, I use Red Sea for Calcium

Current Tank Info: 180g. mix reef
roli112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2017, 08:05 PM   #24
Goubli
Registered Member

Ok cool, I'll send it back and get a different one.
2una-thanks for the tip about magnets! I'm dreading figuring out the Apex to be honest. Also, I'm not keen on the options from Red Sea. I want the stand custom colored. The painter is working on some samples and I'll take some pics and post them when I see them.

I kind of messed up that Pukani pic. I'm still learning this tapatalk app. Also, I played around w dry rock just to see how much it filled tank. I do have one really large piece and another medium piece curing now that will go into display. I may chisel them to work then in. Also, I plan on glueing some of the dead branch pieces to look like dead pieces for a naturalistic appearance.

So, to make a long story a bit longer--The left rocks will likely be increased in height and overall mass.

And last thing: ammonia was closer to 0.5-1 range. I didn't test prior to changing 50% water bc I didn't have kit. Changed it based purely on smell--haha!

Unread 02/07/2017, 09:58 AM   #25
Goubli
Registered Member

Couple more pics this morning just for the record.