Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/08/2017, 09:59 PM   #26
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goubli View Post
Couple more pics this morning just for the record.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Goubli,
Looking Good!

My S 400 is the Merlot color too.

You did good on that Giesmann aurora.

If they made the Spectra in 36" I'd had it long ago.

Keep us updated.

Regards, GoVols

Current Tank Info: 2013-RSM S-400 (Merlot) / BB / Mixed Reef / Lighting: Kessil AP700 with S-Series led bar / Bubble King 160 skimmer / GEO 2-Stage Cal Reactor with GLA dual-stage regulator / Teco TK-1000 Chiller & Heater / GFO & Purigen reactor's
GoVols is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2017, 04:55 AM   #27
Nobbygas
Registered Member

I have just the one observation........have you left enough room behind the tank to be able to adjust the downflow valve, or take it out for a clean? The tank looks as though it's flush with the wall, which will cause you problems.

Nobbygas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2017, 06:22 PM   #28
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobbygas View Post
I have just the one observation........have you left enough room behind the tank to be able to adjust the downflow valve, or take it out for a clean? The tank looks as though it's flush with the wall, which will cause you problems.
+1

The S Series must be 5.5" to 6" away from the wall to service the overflow turn knob gasket and pipework.

Nobbygas, You made a great observation for Goubli

lol,
I have just been drooling over his Giesmann hybird...

Current Tank Info: 2013-RSM S-400 (Merlot) / BB / Mixed Reef / Lighting: Kessil AP700 with S-Series led bar / Bubble King 160 skimmer / GEO 2-Stage Cal Reactor with GLA dual-stage regulator / Teco TK-1000 Chiller & Heater / GFO & Purigen reactor's
Unread 02/13/2017, 07:25 PM   #29
Goubli
Registered Member

Yes, I have left enough room to get to the valve. The previous owner gave me the heads up.

Today the 20amp dedicated circuit was run so I won't have to worry about overdrawing the setup. I hope the pic comes through as it's my first attempt from iPad.

Also, the painter will come by Wednesday to paint the stand. I like red, but my last tank stand and canopy was red. I'm going with a light to dark fade with some metallic sheen and possibly some water lines in the top third. I'll see if I can post a pic of the sample. The plan is to have it fade down to a deeper shade of blue as it nears bottom of stand.

Also, I found out today that there aren't any studs that go all the way up my wall so I'll have to mount the Giesemann into 1/2" drywall. I did see it's only about 40 pounds. I had a 50+ pound mirror on the wall previously without a problem so I'm not too concerned.

What thoughts do you guys have about attacking that project? I have a guy who can fabricate what ever I need.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0332.jpg (59.4 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0334.jpg (43.5 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0333.jpg (39.3 KB, 83 views)
Goubli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2017, 07:34 PM   #30
Goubli
Registered Member

Also, I forgot to mention that I took the rock out of the tank and started the cure. I'm using a method described in another thread about using dry BRS pukani. Essentially, I'll dose the water with seaklear to help leech the phosphate out. I guess it's gonna take a couple months, so I need to get it going.

Unread 02/13/2017, 08:11 PM   #31
GoVols
Registered Member

Goubli,
Thank's for the update. I'm just thinking out loud... If my ceilings were low enough I'd mount that fixture from the ceiling like broadfield.

I'm dealing with 24 foot vaulted ceilings over here

You've got to show us that sick paint job

Also, Your doing your rock the right way. I'd rather get the phos. out now than it leaching in my display and dealing with hair algae right out of the shoot.

Goubli, You've got to keep this going as a build thread

Thanks, GoVols

Unread 02/13/2017, 08:56 PM   #32
Goubli
Registered Member

Vols, thanks for the encouragement! Part of the reason I labeled it as a "collaborate" instead of a "build" thread is because I've been out for close to a decade.

My ceilings are about 9.5' but I'm not too sure about where the crosses are etc. I guess I have time to investigate it. I sent the Hanna Ca checker back today. Once I get my credit, I'll get the Red Sea.

I'll keep it going, so long as people want me to. I just don't want to bore people

Unread 02/14/2017, 01:25 AM   #33
SPR1968
Registered Member

Quote:
Vols, thanks for the encouragement! Part of the reason I labeled it as a "collaborate" instead of a "build" thread is because I've been out for close to a decade.

I sent the Hanna Ca checker back today. Once I get my credit, I'll get the Red Sea.

I'll keep it going, so long as people want me to. I just don't want to bore people
Hi following along with all this

I've just ordered some Hanna Ca Alk and phosphate. Just wondered why you sent the Ca one back ?

I've always used all Red Sea but fancy something digital rather than using eye sight for readings as I was about to need to re order them all.

Current Tank Info: 2016 Red Sea Max S 650 LED Black Reef Tank
SPR1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2017, 12:35 PM   #34
roli112
Registered Member

i have something against testing only 0.1 ml of tank water. I don't find it very accurate.
(add reagent A, add 10ml or RO water, place in tester, remove, add 0.1 ml of tank water, add reagent B, shake, place in tester)

Current Tank Info: 180g. mix reef
roli112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2017, 04:46 PM   #35
deleau
Registered Member

Under the premise of K.I.S.S., why not use the mounting legs for the lights?

I spent too much time trying to figure out how to hang my lights, wasted a lot of time and energy, bought a mounting kit as a "temporary" solution...2+ years later, it's still my solution.

I still use Salifert for my Ca & Mag measurements; Seachem & Hanna are PITAs for Ca. I use Hanna for Alk and Phosphate.

Current Tank Info: 258g (72.5x30x27.5), 4x Radion Gen3 Pro, 2x Hamilton Aruba Sun V Series (4x Blue Plus 80W), 2x Vortech MP40WQD, Apex Gold + WXM, Dreambox 5d, Bubble King Supermarin 200, Red Dragon 3 150W, Tunze 3155, Finnex Ti 800W
deleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2017, 03:19 PM   #36
roli112
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deleau View Post

I spent too much time trying to figure out how to hang my lights, wasted a lot of time and energy, bought a mounting kit as a "temporary" solution...2+ years later, it's still my solution.

I still use Salifert for my Ca & Mag measurements; Seachem & Hanna are PITAs for Ca. I use Hanna for Alk and Phosphate.
Yes Hanna for ALK and Phosphate work Great, I use Red Sea for Mag, and Salifert for Calcium but I want to try the Red Sea calcium when I run out

Unread 02/15/2017, 04:57 PM   #37
Goubli
Registered Member

Quote:

I'd be ok with using mounting legs. My questions are-what would you recommend as far as brands/where to buy?

Do they mount to the side glass? Does it look clean? I think it would look more sleek for them to hang.

As far as the Ca tester goes, I read in another thread people really dislike the Hanna for calcium as they feel it's not as easy to use. People like the Red Sea.

As far as an update from today here it comes--primer has been applied to the stand and hopefully tomorrow some more progress is made while I'm at work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread 02/15/2017, 10:08 PM   #38
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:
I'd be ok with using mounting legs. My questions are-what would you recommend as far as brands/where to buy?

Do they mount to the side glass? Does it look clean? I think it would look more sleek for them to hang.

As far as the Ca tester goes, I read in another thread people really dislike the Hanna for calcium as they feel it's not as easy to use. People like the Red Sea.

As far as an update from today here it comes--primer has been applied to the stand and hopefully tomorrow some more progress is made while I'm at work.

Goubli,

Looks like your moving into that new paint job.

These are the kits I'm using now but may get the Hanna alk checker.
Cal - Red Sea Pro
Alk - Red Sea pro
Mag - Salifert (quicker than RSP and easier to see the endpoint)
Phos - Hanna ULR Phosphorous checker - (Very accurate but must keep the vials spotless)
Nitrates - Salifert (Very accurate and easy to use)

Goubli, We love it. Keep updating. You've got our full attention at this point

The rock scape looks great in your earlier pictures.

Unread 02/16/2017, 09:34 PM   #39
deleau
Registered Member

Quote:

BRS has mounting legs that Giesmann makes; you'd know those would fit.

I have Radions and use the RMS mounting kit; that just sits on the top edge of the tank. I do agree it will look "better" if yours (and mine) were hung. For my part, I've not been able to figure out a design that I like. I would also suggest that regardless of how you mount the lights, that you are able to move them fairly easily. Even though my setup isn't as sleek as I like, I can remove everything in a few minutes if needed.

IMO, Hanna & Seachem suck for Ca (too tedious). I use Salifert; I may try Red Sea soon. Here is my philosophy on testing: Initially, I want to know that a test kit is accurate. To that end, I will measure using multiple brands and make sure they are close to each other (5% is acceptable to me).

Once I trust the accuracy, precision becomes more important. To improve precision, I want a kit that I can use and know that I will use it the same way over and over, so that any bias of my methodology (watching drops, matching colors, etc.) is consistent between readings. That way as I take measurements and enter them into ApexFusion (logging your test results is vital and a hidden secret in the hobby), then I can see trends in those readings and act accordingly. I don't really care if my Ca is 440, 460 or 420...I care that over the course of any 30 day period, my Ca only swings 8 points or less.

Taking this further, I like to bundle tests together, so I don't have pull out instructions each time. I test Alk most often. The Hanna checker for Alk is perfect for that. Nothing about that test is subjective. Fill cuvette to the line, put in tester, add a set amount of reagent, put back in test, read value. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

When I test Ca, I also test Mg. Because of that, I use Salifert for both. I have a nice 3D printed tray that holds everything (syringes & scoops included) in order, so I fill two containers, and essentially do the same thing for both sets and get my readings. Simple.

I suspect Ca & Mg from Red Sea are similar.

Hanna has some great checkers; some are PITAs. Same with everyone.

Current Tank Info: 258g (72.5x30x27.5), 4x Radion Gen3 Pro, 2x Hamilton Aruba Sun V Series (4x Blue Plus 80W), 2x Vortech MP40WQD, Apex Gold + WXM, Dreambox 5d, Bubble King Supermarin 200, Red Dragon 3 150W, Tunze 3155, Finnex Ti 800W
Unread 02/17/2017, 06:35 PM   #40
Goubli
Registered Member

Painting update:

That's the painter, not me-ha!

I also just opened a box containing my seaklear to bind up the phosphates all that sweet pukani will be leeching out during the cure.

I'm not too sure if the pics show it well, but the stand will still have some of the metallic sheen that the original merlot color had.

I also picked up my repaired litermeter and add on pump from spectrapure today. Now this weekend the goal is to actually get my RO/DI unit plugged in and making water!

Unread 02/18/2017, 11:24 AM   #41
roli112
Registered Member

Looks great!

Unread 02/18/2017, 01:24 PM   #42
Bab2150
Registered Member

Very excited for you. I have also been out of the hobby for 8+ years due to a tragedy involving a 100 gal tank, a 3 year old and a gallon of miracle grow lol. I have been toying with the idea of a small sps/fish tank again. Maybe a 20 or 30. You are giving me ideas for a build thread!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Bab2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2017, 08:20 PM   #43
Goubli
Registered Member

Bab- just when you think you're out it'll pull you back in!

I will say that I'm really excited to see the difference the new tech will make. Also, I find I'm being extra patient this time around. I've made a decision to enjoy all steps of the process. After all, this is my test run to decide if I'm gonna really go all out on a custom build.

I figure I'd still be able to keep this system and make possibly a fish only. I still dream of large angels.....

Unread 02/19/2017, 08:28 AM   #44
Bab2150
Registered Member

I like your mentality about enjoying the process, it is the way i want to do one. I will jump back in with a small tank/sump, maybe 20 or 30 geared towards sps at the top with some anthias, chromis, and a small tang maybe. I am in no rush and i will keep my eyey open for a small used set up to buy locally. WAY more bang for your buck buying existing.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Bab2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2017, 09:58 PM   #45
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roli112 View Post
Looks great!
+1

Goubli,
Thanks for the update

You Da Man!!!!!!!!!

Good Stuff

Unread 02/21/2017, 09:08 PM   #46
Goubli
Registered Member

The painter is finished as of today! It looks really cool in person as the stand looks a little different depending on viewing angle. It has a bit of a silvery sheen. I think that it will complement the inhabitants nicely.

The wife isn't too crazy about it, but I don't care hahaha. She's never been around me with a reef tank. As we all know, they are very cool in person when you can really watch it.

The last one is how it looks in the evening in the room. This tank is gonna be siiiiiiiick!

Unread 02/21/2017, 09:52 PM   #47
deleau
Registered Member

That's looks incredible! The painter did a great job and it is going to look great in that room.

And, as we all tend to do, that last photo made me think, "Oh, ya. He could have gone bigger."

Unread 02/21/2017, 11:51 PM   #48
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:
that's looks incredible! The painter did a great job and it is going to look great in that room.

And, as we all tend to do, that last photo made me think, "oh, ya. He could have gone bigger."
+1

Can't wait to see the Giesmann over it

Unread 02/22/2017, 12:38 AM   #49
SPR1968
Registered Member

Quote:
That's looks incredible! The painter did a great job and it is going to look great in that room.

And, as we all tend to do, that last photo made me think, "Oh, ya. He could have gone bigger."
+1

Oh and if Red Sea bring out a Max S 1000 I'll be getting a divorce! Lol

Current Tank Info: 2016 Red Sea Max S 650 LED Black Reef Tank
SPR1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2017, 03:03 PM   #50
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR1968 View Post
+1

Oh and if Red Sea bring out a Max S 1000 I'll be getting a divorce! Lol
lol