Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 07/08/2019, 09:23 AM   #26
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Ah, I see. Very interesting!!!! Learn something every day!!!

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2019, 11:53 AM   #27
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

Clearly you know your stuff. Chapeau!

I also saw a Royal Gramma in there. How many of those? Do they get along well with the Fridmanis? Also are the marine bettas a mated pair?

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2019, 12:19 PM   #28
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Clearly you know your stuff. Chapeau!

I also saw a Royal Gramma in there. How many of those? Do they get along well with the Fridmanis? Also are the marine bettas a mated pair?
There are 3 Gramma in the tank, a spawning pair and possibly a subservient male that looks like a female but acts like a male towards the female.

At the beginning, when the Fridmani were new to the tank, there was a little chasing from the Gramma. But by now they have found an arrangement and get along.
Among the Fridmani there is still some bickering as they negotiate their hierarchy and claim their caves. As a result some of them look a bit like plucked chickens. But so far I haven't seen actual fighting, and when out in the open they gang up without showing hostility towards each other. So my suspicion is that the "fights" are primarily over caves.

The Marine Betta are so far just 2 females. I'm waiting to see if the larger of the two changes sex, but she may still be too small for that. In the past I just picked male and female to get pairs and that worked every time. But this time I want to test the theory that they change sex.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2019, 12:30 PM   #29
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

Cool beans! I'll be following. I too love to keep multiple specimens of species, to bring out their natural behaviors and spawning. If I can ever get my QT up to snuff, I hope to try several more groups.

What are you referring to with the one gramma looking like a female but acting like a male? I didn't think the sexes were discernible. Do you mean it is smaller like a female but acts like a larger male?

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2019, 01:52 PM   #30
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
What are you referring to with the one gramma looking like a female but acting like a male? I didn't think the sexes were discernible. Do you mean it is smaller like a female but acts like a larger male?
There are actually some morphological and coloration differences I noticed between males and females.
Dominant males have significantly longer ventral fins. Unfortunately, this isn't a reliable indicator as fins often get damaged during capture, shipping, and in fights, and not always regrow fully.
Males also have a more slender body shape.
Females on the other hand have shorter ventral fins, are usually smaller, and have a fuller body shape.

But there seems to be also a subtle color difference:
Males have silver metallic shining scales on their sides in the transition zone between the purple and yellow. My dominant male has this very pronounced while the subordinate male has only a few of those metallic shining scales. The female has none.

The most convincing evidence to me is the behavior. The subordinate male keeps as much distance as possible to the dominant male. Both males demonstrate courtship behavior towards the female, but the dominant male never demonstrates any courtship behavior towards the subordinate male. Whenever they meet the dominant male demonstrates who is the boss, but it never goes to actual fighting.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is online now   Reply With Quote