Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/06/2013, 10:00 AM   #1
reefervinny
Registered Member

New Refugium Build ** Expanded PVC

I just finished my first refugium build out of expanded pvc sheets. I really like this stuff and it was very easy to work with. A little easier than working with acrylic and a little less in price per sheet.

I will update later with my second build which will only differ in the front because I am going to make the front with acrylic. Baffles will be the same style unless someone has a good idea or different baffle system I should try. LMK

Also I would like to thank "Da Maui life" for putting up his recent project with the expanded pvc sheets and solvents he used to build his refugium and ATO.

[IMG] photo E47C29D3-87BF-40BE-A311-9E32DF8865CA-4097-000004DDDB508C69_zpsc1751df6.jpg[/IMG]

photo FB035470-742E-45B8-A3D6-4DC4696E3AB6-4097-000004DDD1A3664E_zps7308d4a9.jpg

photo CE8804A7-13F0-4233-B826-357D7166706D-4097-000004DDE35F268C_zps27e52e3a.jpg

Unread 05/06/2013, 10:10 AM   #2
Badkarma88
Registered Member

Are you able to bond acrylic to the PVC? It would be nice to have a clear side so that you could keep an eye on things.

Badkarma88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2013, 01:22 PM   #3
reefervinny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badkarma88 View Post
Are you able to bond acrylic to the PVC? It would be nice to have a clear side so that you could keep an eye on things.
Yes you can use weldon #16.

WELD-ON 16 is a very high strength, clear, medium bodied,(more like syrup) fast curing, solvent-type acrylic cement. Applied to cast, molded or extruded acrylics, it will affect initial bonds very quickly so some parts may be handled within a few minutes. Bond strength continues to develop very rapidly reaching a substantial level and forming strong joints within hours.

SUBSTRATE RECOMMENDATIONS:
WELD-ON 16 is especially formulated to bond acrylic (poly-methyl methacrylate) plastic. It can also be used for bonding styrene, butyrate, PVC, ABS and polycarbonate, as well as other plastics and porous surfaces.

You can also use weldon #40

Unread 05/06/2013, 01:24 PM   #4
reefervinny
Registered Member

*bump*

Unread 05/06/2013, 05:38 PM   #5
Buzzword
Registered Member

Looks sweet man! Im jealous! Drive up the A1A and help me build one for my 220.

Buzzword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2013, 05:47 PM   #6
cheezischrist
Registered Member

i was just using this stuff wrapping box windows on a siding job, and thinking about using it to build a tank, similar to the big plywood tanks... nice job man, subbin

cheezischrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2013, 08:36 AM   #7
reefervinny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzword View Post
Looks sweet man! Im jealous! Drive up the A1A and help me build one for my 220.
Drive down the A1A and I'd be glad to help you out. Let me know. Maybe do a frag swap for a build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezischrist View Post
i was just using this stuff wrapping box windows on a siding job, and thinking about using it to build a tank, similar to the big plywood tanks... nice job man, subbin
Thanks cheezischrist. Appreciate the kind words.

Anyone every want one built just let me know. Also I fabricate steel & aluminum for a living and can build some custom steel/aluminum frame stands, light rails, direct tank light mounts, brackets, light rails ect. All can be finished in any color powder coat available.

Unread 05/07/2013, 08:40 AM   #8
reefervinny
Registered Member

Just finished this last night. I did all walls and baffles in expanded pvc and used acrylic for the front so you can have some good viewing. Keep the light in the refugium and out of the other sections of your sump. It should help minimize algae growth I believe.

Unread 05/07/2013, 08:41 AM   #9
Augster
Registered Member

That material would be great for areas where limiting light penetration is needed.

Not sure if a sump would be such a place since it would seem you want to be able to ensure there are no critters and such down in the dark crevices or blockage within the baffles, and that's where clear panels would aid in visual inspections...

Great looking build tho!

EDIT: I was formulating a reply before you posted additional photos of a sump with a clear front!

Current Tank Info: JBJ 45, 20 pounds Pukani
Augster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2013, 08:45 AM   #10
reefervinny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augster View Post
That material would be great for areas where limiting light penetration is needed.

Not sure if a sump would be such a place since it would seem you want to be able to ensure there are no critters and such down in the dark crevices or blockage within the baffles, and that's where clear panels would aid in visual inspections...

Great looking build tho!
Thanks I appreciate your advice and will consider different options as I am just messing around with the two builds I did so far. With the clear front I think viewing between the baffles and such would be no problem at all. Any other ideas is much appreciated. Also what is your take on doing baffles in black or maybe ocean blue? Well for that matter I can do about several color options for baffles.

Next is going to be a small frag tank with black expanded pvc as the bottom and white for the walls to get a good reflection off the sides.

Unread 05/07/2013, 11:30 AM   #11
BHD
Registered Member

Wow great sump.

Can you tell us more about the process of cutting them and how to glue them together?
Do you cut them with the regular saw blade that can be bought from HD or lowes? or they need their own special blade just like cutting acrylic?
What do you use to glue them or bond them together?
Do they leak any chemical that might be harmful for the reef?

Thanks,
Bao

Unread 05/07/2013, 11:37 AM   #12
reefervinny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHD View Post
Wow great sump.

Can you tell us more about the process of cutting them and how to glue them together?
Do you cut them with the regular saw blade that can be bought from HD or lowes? or they need their own special blade just like cutting acrylic?
What do you use to glue them or bond them together?
Do they leak any chemical that might be harmful for the reef?

Thanks,
Bao
I have them cut at the company I purchase the material from. It is easier to cut the expanded pvc than the acrylic by far. You can get an 80-100 tooth carbide blade and that would be fine. Just use some 220 sand paper after its cut to give it a smoother finish.

I use weldon#16 and weldon #2007. #16 is for almost all plastics and #2007 is water thin and is specialized for pvc to pvc. All sumps for the most part are put together with weldon products so I am pretty sure there is no chemical leaching from the solvent/adhesive.

Any other questions just let me know and I'll do the best to help you further.

Unread 05/07/2013, 04:17 PM   #13
cheezischrist
Registered Member

how well do you think a display tank made like that would hold up, well a cube kinda, but 36 wide and deep and 16 high?
just acrylic on one side, maybe 2 for in a corner, and the pvc the rest

Unread 05/07/2013, 04:25 PM   #14
reefervinny
Registered Member

Quote:
how well do you think a display tank made like that would hold up, well a cube kinda, but 36 wide and deep and 16 high?
just acrylic on one side, maybe 2 for in a corner, and the pvc the rest
It would be fine I am sure. I would go with 3/4" expanded pvc sheets to just be safe. With that being said I am not sure on how the Acrylic would hold up on such pressure and being bonded to the pvc. That would be trial and error and hopefully no errors because that would be dreadful.

Unread 05/07/2013, 04:57 PM   #15
cheezischrist
Registered Member

yeah that could be a mess. maybe use 1", pvc, and mitre the acrylic into the pvc on sides and bottom about 1/4" to be safe?. its in my planning stage still, but i want to build a tank system similar to " the volcano tank", if you ever seen that. wet terrestrial/tide pool- ish, and host a number of sub aquatic crabs and plants as well as aquatic.

Unread 05/07/2013, 05:04 PM   #16
MARINECRITTERS
Registered Member

Really nice looking, how much was the PVC sheet?

Current Tank Info: 91 Gallon Reef
MARINECRITTERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2013, 05:34 PM   #17
reefervinny
Registered Member

Depends where you buy it. 4x8 sheets run anywhere from $70-$130. I am near Miami and everything is cheaper.

Unread 05/07/2013, 05:43 PM   #18
cheezischrist
Registered Member

pricwe is the same in new jersey. we use it alot at work

Unread 05/07/2013, 06:02 PM   #19
reefervinny
Registered Member

You can buy directly at Acme Plastics in Jersey. They can cut and cnc anything you need. Cost you about $70 from them.

Unread 05/07/2013, 06:05 PM   #20
reefervinny
Registered Member

Quote:
yeah that could be a mess. maybe use 1", pvc, and mitre the acrylic into the pvc on sides and bottom about 1/4" to be safe?. its in my planning stage still, but i want to build a tank system similar to " the volcano tank", if you ever seen that. wet terrestrial/tide pool- ish, and host a number of sub aquatic crabs and plants as well as aquatic.
1" would be plenty and just get a 1/4" by whatever length router bit and adjust your depth to 3/8" or so.

Unread 05/18/2018, 06:04 PM   #21
MHG
Registered Member

So...5 years later. How's it holding up

Unread 05/19/2018, 09:31 AM   #22
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
Seems he hasn't been around in 4 years..

@reefervinny you still out there?

Unread 05/19/2018, 03:39 PM   #23
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
I’d be curios too.. Bonding/welding PVC to PVC is easy. Acrylic and PVC don’t bond well and can’t really be solvent welded at all and that would be a real concern for me. Especially since it looks like he didn’t capture the ends of the acrylic and instead bonded the acrylic to face of the PVC. Should have used clear PVC but that’s next to impossible to get in the states. At the very least, I would have routed out a channel for the acrylic to sit into so there was some structural support for the front panel other than just the bond which won’t form a true weld.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, expanded pvc, filtration, refugium, sump