Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/01/2016, 04:59 PM   #1426
milsaltnewbie07
Registered Member

Holy crap Matt. You greddy bastard hiding all those gorgeous beauties.... WoW man seriously those tenuis are insane brother. Even the dragons, and im not a big fan of dragons..

Did you stop AF products?

milsaltnewbie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2016, 07:54 PM   #1427
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Wow Matt Just wow! I'm completely lost for words everything is just so gorgeous. You really have one of the most stunning tanks and it's certainly enough to keep me motivated!! lol

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2016, 09:00 PM   #1428
Pife
Registered Member

The more of your reef I see the more envious I become. Great tank man! Love the colors. That is by far the largest jaw dropper I have seen.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2016, 03:16 AM   #1429
Piper27
I love bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post

There is no K test kit that is as easy and definitive as the salifert.
I'm not sure why you would want to go over 430ppm.. Or even 400 ppm for that matter. Reefvet recently posted a list of the composition of seawater in Matt's thread, it listed potassium as 380 in natural seawater.. Not above 400 will be my target going forward.
I honestly don't see the point of maintaining any elements higher than natural seawater levels.. It just gives the potential for imbalances..
I hear you, mine stays around 380 or 400 when dosing daily. 430 is just the point where things start to burn. I have seen people say it could be good to keep it at 420 but I haven't noticed anything beneficial.

Piper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2016, 05:57 AM   #1430
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhucasey View Post
I love those dragons! The tank is really starting to fill in nicely!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cFloor View Post
Your corals are looking absolutely spectacular! I really love your tank, everything about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
Absolutely smashing photos! Corals look great. The Force is VERY strong with your tank!
Matt, Conor, sahin, thank you!
I am fairly happy with the tank, I have to say. Some pieces continue to confound me and I always have the aefw in the back of my mind.. I'm going to increase my peppermint shrimp population soon..
A couple of corals have recently darkened.. I might crack them off and dip them to see if it is aefws that are irritating the corals... No bit marks, however..

Quote:
Originally Posted by milsaltnewbie07 View Post
Holy crap Matt. You greddy bastard hiding all those gorgeous beauties.... WoW man seriously those tenuis are insane brother. Even the dragons, and im not a big fan of dragons..

Did you stop AF products?
Thanks! The way I buy corals and the amount of time it takes some of them to start to grow means there is almost always something in hiding.
I use AF salt, at the moment, a small amount of no pro (6 drops/day), pro bio s/coral c (few times a week) and a reduced dose of flourine (daily). That's it for Aquaforest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangy View Post
Wow Matt Just wow! I'm completely lost for words everything is just so gorgeous. You really have one of the most stunning tanks and it's certainly enough to keep me motivated!! lol
Hey Dom, thanks! I hope you stay motivated. I'm happy my tank motivates you. That's the best compliment!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
The more of your reef I see the more envious I become. Great tank man! Love the colors. That is by far the largest jaw dropper I have seen.
Thanks, man! The jaw dropper is actually a pretty good grower once it settles in.. I'm not really too concerned about its colour.. Super coloured or not, it's still a very unique and interesting smooth skinned coral. I hope I can get it nice and big.. I may try a piece down low as an experiment.. See what happens to it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper27 View Post
I hear you, mine stays around 380 or 400 when dosing daily. 430 is just the point where things start to burn. I have seen people say it could be good to keep it at 420 but I haven't noticed anything beneficial.
With 7ml (one capful) of Seachem Flourish nitrogen, daily, my K is sitting right at 400.. I'm going to try to keep it right there..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2016, 06:30 AM   #1431
Sully72
Registered Member

Lve the old tank! good luck with the new build. I'm sure it will be just as great!

Sully72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2016, 07:13 AM   #1432
plyle02
Registered Member

Hey Matt, that is one expensive little tenuis garden you got going there, and the colors and potential is WOW on steroids.

[IMG][/IMG]

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2016, 07:43 AM   #1433
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully72 View Post
Lve the old tank! good luck with the new build. I'm sure it will be just as great!
Hey Sully, thanks! Working in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plyle02 View Post
Hey Matt, that is one expensive little tenuis garden you got going there, and the colors and potential is WOW on steroids.

[IMG][/IMG]
thanks, Perry.
Actually, that photo only has one expensive tenuis in it. The 'pink matrix' right in the middle..
The deep blue to the left is my Oregon Tort- of not 100% lineage guaranteed.. yes not cheap but not tenuis..
The other two frags are tenuis but were regularly priced no names with possible, maybe, potential greatness! Still to be determined..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 05/02/2016, 08:43 AM   #1434
stonecold
Registered Member

Quote:
[/IMG][/URL]
Love the Evansi. Beautiful tank, Matt.

Unread 05/02/2016, 07:46 PM   #1435
reefmutt
Registered Member

Hey Nick! Long time..
Thanks.

Any new developments on your end?

Unread 05/02/2016, 08:11 PM   #1436
stonecold
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey Nick! Long time..
Thanks.

Any new developments on your end?
Nothing happening in my neck of the woods. Think I've post this in your thread, but in case I haven't. Your aquascape is amazing. Very nice layout and great vision.

How long have you had those Evansi? Did you put them thru a QT process? They are 1 of my favorite Anthias specie.

Unread 05/02/2016, 08:43 PM   #1437
drawman
Registered Member

Matt photos are looking awesome. I'm going into color OD!

Current tanks:
30 gallon rimless, G2 radion, Vertex 130, MP10w
60 gallon rimless, G3 radion, Vertex 130, MP40QD
drawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2016, 06:27 AM   #1438
nemodan
Registered Member

Tank is filling up Matt and with every round of pictures I can see how gorgeous your tank is. In some months from now your tank will be one of the best I have ever seen. It is not just about color and healthy growth. It is also about the landscaping and the coral distribution. I find your tank one of the most pleasant to watch concerning full tank pictures.

WELL DONE MATT !!!

Best.... Daniel

nemodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2016, 07:34 AM   #1439
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecold View Post
Nothing happening in my neck of the woods. Think I've post this in your thread, but in case I haven't. Your aquascape is amazing. Very nice layout and great vision.

How long have you had those Evansi? Did you put them thru a QT process? They are 1 of my favorite Anthias specie.
Nick, coming from the guy who had one of the coolest scapes, I really appreciate your compliment. Thanks!
I've had 3 evansis for a year. They are pretty healthy and one has grown significantly. I've had another 3 for about 6 months and another 3 for about 2 months. Of the 9, 3 are looking very good and the other 3 are varying degrees of skinny. There is not one food that they are absolutely sure to eat.. I wish I could still get cyclops eze... Clearly they are getting just enough to stay active but not really enough to put on weight..
I love them, too.. I wish I could fatten them up without polluting the whole tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drawman View Post
Matt photos are looking awesome. I'm going into color OD!
Thanks, Tim! I like to hear that! That's what is supposed to happen!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemodan View Post
Tank is filling up Matt and with every round of pictures I can see how gorgeous your tank is. In some months from now your tank will be one of the best I have ever seen. It is not just about color and healthy growth. It is also about the landscaping and the coral distribution. I find your tank one of the most pleasant to watch concerning full tank pictures.

WELL DONE MATT !!!

Best.... Daniel
Wow, Daniel, thank you very much. That is extremely nice of you to say. I am forseeing some coral wars.. I want them to be close and dense but some may be too close to allow them to really mature into natural looking corals.. That's all part of the art side of the hobby, though..
Thanks, Daniel!

Unread 05/03/2016, 07:46 AM   #1440
Myka
Reefing since '93

Matt, have you tried the "new" Calanus copepods that come in a duo pack with PE Mysis? PE is using the Calanus instead of Cylopeeze now, and it looks very similar.

Tank is looking spectacular! I'm a big fan of Tenuis/Vermiculata...they don't have to be "fancy" or "expensive" for me to love 'em!

Current Tank Info: 69 SPS (73 gal net) established July 1/15. (HBD Canada!) ATB 840, ATI 6-bulb dimmable. Fauna Marin balling lite method.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2016, 07:49 AM   #1441
plyle02
Registered Member

Matt,
The blue OT fooled me, the others are sweet, tenuis is the craze, and you my friend have some killer ones. The OP is sweet too, and do I hear you have a WD? How about a tenuis photo bomb man, I would love to see your collection I also love your scape, just using the space for full color spectrum, it really looks like a box of crayolas, but not the small box dude, the deluxe edition Keep it up, the tank looks super healthy!

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2016, 09:50 AM   #1442
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Matt, have you tried the "new" Calanus copepods that come in a duo pack with PE Mysis? PE is using the Calanus instead of Cylopeeze now, and it looks very similar.

Tank is looking spectacular! I'm a big fan of Tenuis/Vermiculata...they don't have to be "fancy" or "expensive" for me to love 'em!
Hey Mindy. Thanks! I agree, tenuis are always interesting and evolving corals as they grow out in the tank.
Yes I've tried the calanus.. Wasn't very popular in my tank. The Anthias completely ignored it. Even the older, fatter ones..
But in general, I found the fish weren't particularly fond of it.
Too bad about the cyclopeze. That stuff was like magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyle02 View Post
Matt,
The blue OT fooled me, the others are sweet, tenuis is the craze, and you my friend have some killer ones. The OP is sweet too, and do I hear you have a WD? How about a tenuis photo bomb man, I would love to see your collection I also love your scape, just using the space for full color spectrum, it really looks like a box of crayolas, but not the small box dude, the deluxe edition Keep it up, the tank looks super healthy!
Hey Perry. go deluxe or go home, I say!! Thanks!
-- No I do NOT have a Walt Dazzle. The Pink Cadillac is the most extravagant coral I have..
Tenuis photo bomb you say?!? I CAN DO that!! With pleasure!!
I would be hard pressed to turn down any photo assignment.
It will take a while to shoot that but it is currently at the very top of my 'to do' list, Perry.

Unread 05/03/2016, 10:08 AM   #1443
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Hey Mindy. Thanks! I agree, tenuis are always interesting and evolving corals as they grow out in the tank.
Yes I've tried the calanus.. Wasn't very popular in my tank. The Anthias completely ignored it. Even the older, fatter ones..
But in general, I found the fish weren't particularly fond of it.
Too bad about the cyclopeze. That stuff was like magic.
Hi Matt,

Have you tried red plankton? No fish can resist red plankton even anthias.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2016, 10:17 AM   #1444
reefmutt
Registered Member

I'm not sure what that is (as an available product).. Or if I can get it..
I'll look around for a supplier..
Thanks, Bulent

Just did a quick search. Ocean Nutrition has it. I think I could probably find it somewhere but it actually looks too large for my anthias..
I'll try to find it in person, though.

Unread 05/03/2016, 11:24 AM   #1445
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

My anthias have large mouths. They can even swallow chunky RS/PE mysis.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
Unread 05/03/2016, 12:37 PM   #1446
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Hi Matt,

I have just seen this video clip on the BBC web site and I must say that I am very impressed with your PM.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_...lines/36190244

Unread 05/03/2016, 06:21 PM   #1447
Rybren
Registered Member

Quote:
... I wish I could still get cyclops eze...
Matt,

We can get Omega One Frozen Cyclops at the LFS here in Ottawa. Not sure if it would work as well as Cyclops eze.

If you're interested, I could drop some off for you the next time I'm in Montreal.

Jerry

Unread 05/03/2016, 07:00 PM   #1448
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
Hi Matt,

I have just seen this video clip on the BBC web site and I must say that I am very impressed with your PM.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_...lines/36190244
Ha! Yes.... our shiny new PM. He has quite a way with all things media. We aren't yet sure how he'll run the country but he certainly has a way with the camera!
He's hard not to like unless you are seriously into politics, then the shine wears off a little... I, however (although, I am in a pretty politically minded family) am not so into politics..
He is currently riding an extended post election honeymoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybren View Post
Matt,

We can get Omega One Frozen Cyclops at the LFS here in Ottawa. Not sure if it would work as well as Cyclops eze.

If you're interested, I could drop some off for you the next time I'm in Montreal.

Jerry
Hey Jerry, thanks for the kind offer. I do use cyclops- probably very similar to the omega one but it ain't no cyclopseze..
Actually, it's not as red as the Omega One..
They do go for it but not like crazy.. I also have frozen baby brine shrimp.. its all iffy..
I may take you up on that offer..
I'm going to have a look around montreal to see if I can find it.. If not, I'll let you know..
Thanks for the suggestion!

Unread 05/03/2016, 07:33 PM   #1449
Rybren
Registered Member

The Omega One Cyclops are rather pale in comparison to the Cyclops eze as well.

If you don't mind buying a case of it, you can buy Cyclop-eeze online...

http://www.cyclop-eeze.com/online_store.php

Cheers.

Unread 05/10/2016, 08:33 AM   #1450
glaukos
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok.. I'm going to post the last of my photobomb..
Here's my dragon forest. They will begin touching soon..

Few wider top downs.. I guess I take this shot a lot.. Shows good colour variety. Right side of centre section..

This is upper right of left hand side of tank. The Blueberry Wine from March (from a Toronto reefer) is at the top of the photo. Since I pulled out from under a rock and placed it up high to recover, it is starting to grow.. Looking forward to it taking off..

And this is centre up high..

There I think that concludes the photobomb!
I hope you enjoyed!
Just saw the pics matt and i'm like...........
Can't control my emotions lol
Loved that right side pic too,such a dimensional aquascape
Thanks for sharing!