Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/13/2017, 09:13 PM   #1026
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Hey hey! I still have Nordic blood, Ty was the one making all the comments about shaking knees! It was a pleasure to be part of such a monumental moment in this tank build. Ty and I were both worried about the skittles granulosa being so close to the source of the hydrowizard flow, hopefully it isn't too far gone and will be able to make a rebound.

While the pictures certainly are impressive, the tank is more exquisitely grand in person Paul. What an amazing setup and impeccably designed system/room you have. The only things you need now are more corals and a trophy Heteractis magnifica anemone!

-John

Gig 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2017, 10:40 PM   #1027
AkoAung
aka -iDestroya-

That looks great! nitrates at 5 doesn't sound so bad if you can keep it in that range. Some people have trouble raising it to that level. A lot of tanks with great color SPS have single-digit nitrates.

AkoAung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 09:49 AM   #1028
delmo
Registered Member

Looking good! Glad to hear you're making progress.
I don't know what I would do without my methanol denitrator, but I have never heard of one being used on a tank over 500g. I have too many fish, and overfeed the fatties, and my denitrator keeps the Nitrates at or below 2.5!
PMROGERS. If you have a need for another LMIII and Remote pump, I have a freshly rebuilt set on the cheap. Pm if interested.
Great job on moving in the new tenants!

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

delmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2017, 10:44 AM   #1029
kciN
Registered Member

Love this tank build. Anymore updates?

kciN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2017, 08:50 AM   #1030
Darthv247
Registered Member

Amazing build and tank!

My only suggestion would be to add more places for bacteria to populate. The reason for the socks clogging is insufficient places for them to populate so they are having to overpopulate the socks. Definately need more.rock or lots of blocks. may as well do something with that massive sump. No sand bed and sparse rocks in DT is leaving no room for denitrification.

regards

Darthv247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2017, 08:13 AM   #1031
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

I just found your build thread and it's an amazing journey to say the least. Your DT and the room it exists in are beautiful. The furniture and tank go together very well. A great setup for entertaining. Ok, I'm really jealous, I admit it. LOL!

Unread 05/30/2017, 02:59 PM   #1032
Lowefx
Registered Member

Any updates???

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Lowefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2017, 06:18 PM   #1033
FLSharkvic
Registered Member

@pmrogers - do you have your UVlights hooked up to your saltwater container or do you have it hooked up to your fresh water container?

FLSharkvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2017, 10:34 AM   #1034
Maverick1
Registered Member

So, if they fart in the tank, will you have to do a water change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maverick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2017, 10:38 AM   #1035
fishdip22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1 View Post
So, if they fart in the tank, will you have to do a water change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just don't pee in the pool

Unread 07/30/2017, 05:27 AM   #1036
webersole
Premium Member

Wow and Impressive! Just read this whole thread. I love the detailed updates on both the successes and failures. Very informative! Thank you for creating this thread for us.

Current Tank Info: 54 gal reef tank
webersole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2017, 10:57 AM   #1037
Lowefx
Registered Member

@pmrogers Please take some pictures and update us with information. Thank you.

Unread 09/08/2017, 11:40 AM   #1038
pmrogers
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowefx View Post
@pmrogers Please take some pictures and update us with information. Thank you.
Hey @Lowefx, I will update with pictures next time I'm in Austin in October.

Short update is that not much has changed as I put the system into 'suspend' mode about 3 months ago. I decided to delay retirement and go for one more turn of the crank in startup land. We are still keeping the Austin house and planning to retire there, but now there will be a roughly 4 year delay while I build out the new company in NYC. I'm now living mostly in Manhattan, with only 5 days a month in Austin. My husband very generously agreed to take on most of the system maintenance, but it would be unreasonable to ask him to also deal with growing the system, so all quarantines are shut down except for the Coral QT, and it is not taking any new additions.

Quick update is that the fish are all doing wonderfully well, and chemistry has been very stable on the Alk, Ca, and Nitrates front. Corals still are not thriving in the DT, but have been doing okay. Pics in a few weeks.

Best Regards,

Current Tank Info: 1700gal 164"x48"x56" starphire and FRP tank
pmrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2017, 03:03 PM   #1039
Lowefx
Registered Member

That's fantastic! Thanks for the quick update! PM me if he needs help growing his businesses.

Unread 09/10/2017, 10:38 AM   #1040
Chrisrush
Registered Member

Great update Paul. Best of luck in NYC. Hope to catch up with you at some point when you are in Austin next. Please don't hesitate to call Ty, John or I if you need anything.

Current Tank Info: 2015 Reef Savvy Dream Tank Winner
Chrisrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2017, 06:29 PM   #1041
jkwick
Registered Member

Thinking of getting back into the hobby of reefing after 20+ years away. I was told by a few professionals that the technology has improved dramatically since that time, making the maintenance and resource commitment more doable and enjoyable. Reading Paul's thread begs the question whether the myriad of problems he has had is typical or atypical of marine aquariums. This from a guy with a wealth of personal experience and $$. Welcome any feedback

jkwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2017, 10:14 PM   #1042
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwick View Post
Thinking of getting back into the hobby of reefing after 20+ years away. I was told by a few professionals that the technology has improved dramatically since that time, making the maintenance and resource commitment more doable and enjoyable. Reading Paul's thread begs the question whether the myriad of problems he has had is typical or atypical of marine aquariums. This from a guy with a wealth of personal experience and $$. Welcome any feedback

That's a very good question. I can't answer for Paul, but I've toured his tank set up in person and I've researched and talked to an academic researcher about the issues he's facing. We're currently hypothesizing microbial disease causes. Totally a hypothesis at the moment and there are many tests to be run to determine that, but I can personally attest to the tremendous success I have had in the past 5 years with corals compared to what I was dealing with 15 years ago when I first started. So yes, technology has certainly come a far way in the past 20 years and we can more successfully keep corals now than we could before. I think the situation with this tank is unique and we're still working to figure out exactly what is hindering coral health at the moment.

Gig 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2017, 12:23 PM   #1043
jkwick
Registered Member

Thanks Gig 'em. I am quite relieved to hear your answer. I had always heard that larger systems were easier i.e. more stable conditions, fewer fires to put out etc., but for Paul quite the opposite. I applaud his herculean effort to turn lemons into lemonade!

jkwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2017, 09:26 AM   #1044
iced98lx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrogers View Post
Hey @Lowefx, I will update with pictures next time I'm in Austin in October.

Short update is that not much has changed as I put the system into 'suspend' mode about 3 months ago. I decided to delay retirement and go for one more turn of the crank in startup land. We are still keeping the Austin house and planning to retire there, but now there will be a roughly 4 year delay while I build out the new company in NYC. I'm now living mostly in Manhattan, with only 5 days a month in Austin. My husband very generously agreed to take on most of the system maintenance, but it would be unreasonable to ask him to also deal with growing the system, so all quarantines are shut down except for the Coral QT, and it is not taking any new additions.

Quick update is that the fish are all doing wonderfully well, and chemistry has been very stable on the Alk, Ca, and Nitrates front. Corals still are not thriving in the DT, but have been doing okay. Pics in a few weeks.

Best Regards,

The entrepreneurial drive isn't easy to get rid of. Better to dive back in vs sitting in retirement trying to figure out what to do with yourself. Glad your husband is willing to keep things steady for a few years until you're ready to dive back in.

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2017, 12:57 PM   #1045
pmrogers
Premium Member

October 2017 Update

As promised, an update with some pictures. No time to write my usual novella, but also not that much has changed. Highlights:
  • Stable Chemistry: Water chemistry has been relatively stable. Salinity between 1.023 and 1.026, Alk between 6.5 and 9 never drifting more than one point in one week; calcium 440 to 500; Nitrates at 4 in the Coral QT, 6 to 8 in the DT; Phosphates 0.0 in both tanks; pH ranging from 7.95 to 8.2;
  • Corals continue to struggle for the most part. You can see burnt tips, muted color, erratic bleaching in the pics. On the bright side, a yellow scroll coral that started bleaching in the DT has reversed its trend and started to regain color.
  • Coraline algae still not thriving. Calcareous algae has yet to take off. I even introduced a few rocks with 15 years of thriving coraline in thick plates to each tank. Those rocks are maintaining, but nothing has significantly colonized elsewhere in the tanks.
  • Fish are mostly thriving except for the yellow tangs. All of the 'delicate' fish are doing wonderfully well, but the school of 9 yellow tangs has dwindled down to 5, with only 2 of the remaining looking healthy. A double shame given the recent Hawaiian law; I wish I'd started with 20 or so and could have stabilized to 7 or 8.
  • A beautiful 18" H. Magnifica that I introduced to the coral QT shortly before leaving for New York has not helped matters with the corals as it decided to be itinerate and loop the tank once a week, stinging everything along the way. It did finally settle down about 6 weeks ago and, knock wood, hasn't moved since then.

Current Tank Info: 1700gal 164"x48"x56" starphire and FRP tank
pmrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2017, 02:45 PM   #1046
Mishri
Registered Member

Hmm.. I wonder if it's the lights? Your PAR might be fine, but the spectrum could be off.... -sps grows best under actinic lighting, high blues.. could be getting burned from too much white light... easy enough to test if someone can loan you an 8x T5 actinic setup for a section of your tank for a few weeks

Last edited by Mishri; 10/03/2017 at 02:54 PM.
Mishri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2017, 06:16 AM   #1047
McPuff
Registered Member

The vlamingi is incredible! How are the softies doing? Perhaps you just have to go with what you're given. Not a great insight but maybe it'll lead to something pretty great.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2017, 09:23 PM   #1048
kalkwasser
Registered Member

This is what I call " Go BIG or Go Home.." Impressive! I love the systems layout.

kalkwasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2017, 01:11 AM   #1049
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishri View Post
Hmm.. I wonder if it's the lights? Your PAR might be fine, but the spectrum could be off.... -sps grows best under actinic lighting, high blues.. could be getting burned from too much white light... easy enough to test if someone can loan you an 8x T5 actinic setup for a section of your tank for a few weeks
Exactly what I was thinking!

mike810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2018, 12:14 PM   #1050
Lowefx
Registered Member

@pmrogers Happy New Year. Hopefully you got that tank back on the correct path. It's been a few months, so we're curious about the fish, any changes, and see the progress on the coral! Keep us updated! Thank you.

Tags
reef