Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/18/2015, 07:51 AM   #1
dinger28
Registered Member

Inline TDS meter vs handheld

Hey guys. So recently i replaced my filter cartridges and DI resin in my BRS 5 stage RO/DI system. Unfortunately I forgot to flush out the system and started filling up my 60 gallon ato container. The water last night read 002 coming in and 000 going out into the barrel from my inline tds meter. However, my handheld read 006. This morning was still the same, but my handheld was 456! Could this be a faulty handheld tds? Which one do you guys trust the most? Thanks!

Matt

dinger28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2015, 07:52 AM   #2
dinger28
Registered Member

Also, do you think my not flushing out the system hurt it by chance? Thanks again!

Unread 03/18/2015, 07:56 AM   #3
Mock
Saltwater Junkie

I am thinking faulty handheld by chance, never trusted them. If you changed all your filters and I dont think not flushing the RO membrane is enough to cause the meters to have such a wide gap in readings. If your water going in is 500 and its going through DI resin, a filter particle and a carbon block there is no way its still at 456 or so..... Regardless of the RO membrane.

Unread 03/18/2015, 08:10 AM   #4
FishN00b83
Registered Member

was the container cleaned? I know if I just fill my brute can with rodi it's not going to read 0. it will still have residue from the last batch of salt water and read extremely high. the water coming out of the unit is indeed 0 tds though. you might just need to clean the container.

Unread 03/18/2015, 09:22 AM   #5
dinger28
Registered Member

I didn't clean the barrel after the 50 gallon water change. Wasn't thought that I had to, but will if that could be the reason. Also, what do you suggest I clean the pickle barrel with? Thanks!

Unread 03/18/2015, 09:29 AM   #6
Mock
Saltwater Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishN00b83 View Post
was the container cleaned? I know if I just fill my brute can with rodi it's not going to read 0. it will still have residue from the last batch of salt water and read extremely high. the water coming out of the unit is indeed 0 tds though. you might just need to clean the container.
I have actually never tested the TDS of the water after just seeing that it was 0 after coming out of the RO unit. I might even have to test that. Might be on to something, yet I would not think that it would run up to 456 tds.

Unread 03/19/2015, 05:55 AM   #7
FishN00b83
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger28 View Post
I didn't clean the barrel after the 50 gallon water change. Wasn't thought that I had to, but will if that could be the reason. Also, what do you suggest I clean the pickle barrel with? Thanks!

you can clean it really good with just rodi water. just scrub it down and rinse a few times. some people use a light vinegar mix to clean it, then rinse. I haven't cleaned my top off container in a long time. I clean it when the kalk is built up on the bottom and sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mock View Post
I have actually never tested the TDS of the water after just seeing that it was 0 after coming out of the RO unit. I might even have to test that. Might be on to something, yet I would not think that it would run up to 456 tds.

it reads EXTREMELY high if salt residue is on the inside.

Unread 03/19/2015, 09:28 AM   #8
dinger28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishN00b83 View Post
you can clean it really good with just rodi water. just scrub it down and rinse a few times. some people use a light vinegar mix to clean it, then rinse. I haven't cleaned my top off container in a long time. I clean it when the kalk is built up on the bottom and sides.

it reads EXTREMELY high if salt residue is on the inside.

So does that mean it is truly that high, or is the meter just reading it "wrong?" Thanks!

Unread 03/19/2015, 09:34 AM   #9
FishN00b83
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger28 View Post
So does that mean it is truly that high, or is the meter just reading it "wrong?" Thanks!

im not sure, but I would say it is truly that high. when you mix saltwater you are putting all kinds of elements and nutrients back into the rodi. so you're not looking for a low tds in saltwater, just the purified water before you add the salt mix.

Unread 04/03/2015, 05:12 AM   #10
Buckeye Hydro
.Registered Member

No - you don't need to clean your DI barrel every time you use it.

Are you saying you stuck your handheld tds meter into the water in the barrel to take a reading? If so, that's at least part of the problem.

Russ

Buckeye Hydro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hose water, inline tds, rodi, tds meter