Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/16/2014, 02:35 PM   #1
invaderzimm
Registered Member

Blue Damsel?

So currently I only have a damsel in my 30 gallon tank. The fish I wan to get are the Ruby Cardinal, Purple Firefish Goby, The long fin fairy wrasse, and a usual clownfish. I know I should only have 1 goby, 1 clown, and probably keep it at 1 damsel. However, I know damsels can be aggressive. This damsel wasn't aggressive before when I had other fish in the tank (they were wiped out by icy >:/ . Anyway, I've waited awhile doing water changes and such in order to get rid of the ich. The damsel has been alone now for quite some time. Do you thing he will be non aggressive like before or will be attack the new fish?

invaderzimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2014, 02:41 PM   #2
thegrun
Registered Member

As a side note, water changes will not eliminate ich. Every fish is different, but usually when an aggressive fish has sole control of a tank, they do not welcome new additions into "their" tank.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2014, 02:42 PM   #3
mcozad829
Premium Member

Just like 8 other people told you in the exact same post earlier, the odds are that your damsel will be aggressive. There are exceptions to every rule but most likely you will regret it.

Are you are reposting the same thing because you are looking for someone to tell you its a gonna be ok? Listen to the sound advice you were already given in your other post and you will be better off.

Unread 04/16/2014, 02:43 PM   #4
invaderzimm
Registered Member

lol i realize it seems like that. It was cause I wanted to put new info but wasn't sure if it would be seen. Anyway, I removed the damsel and will take him to the fish store.

Unread 04/16/2014, 02:44 PM   #5
webslinger
Friendly Neighborhood

Go fishing, He will terrorize your tank

webslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2014, 02:47 PM   #6
mcozad829
Premium Member

Smart move. Here is a picture of what a bluefin damsel did to a sail fin tang that was 3 times his size. Note that this is close to a year after the attack and fins are growing back still. I am pretty sure most damsels can take on anything that isn't big enough to swallow them whole.

Last edited by mcozad829; 04/16/2014 at 02:48 PM. Reason: picture
mcozad829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2014, 02:50 PM   #7
Kearnel
Registered Member

Damsels to me are a hit and miss, I've have 3 and have had them from the start. They can be pushy but mine just sorted it all out on their own. I suppose it depends on available real estate for them as well. I add new fish and they bother nobody but some people hate em. Pretty sure you can have more than one goby though just be aware that those are very timid little guys. I had 2 and they didn't last a week. Nothing bothered them just to much action for them so they stayed hidden. Pretty sure they starved to death or got munched by my purple reef lobster. Bit of a stalker that thing is.

Kearnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2014, 02:52 PM   #8
Uncle Salty 05
Registered Member

I would return the Damsel to the place you purchased from if they will take it back. To put it mildly your Damsel is very likely to attack and kill any new additions.

Unless you have a sophisticated filtration system, you want too many fish for a 30 gallon tank unless it is going to stay a FOWLR tank.
All of the fish you want will grow to 2-3" in length and produce a lot of waste.
If you want to keep any corals, you will be busy doing water changes to keep nitrates down.

Current Tank Info: 180 gal reef tank with dual attached refugiums 20 long and 10 gallon. Plus 55 gallon True Percula breeding tank.
Uncle Salty 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2014, 05:40 PM   #9
Mark9
Registered Member

Get rid of the damsel now, or you will regret it.

Mark9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2014, 07:51 PM   #10
Reefinny
Building my Reef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark9 View Post
Get rid of the damsel now, or you will regret it.
+1 I did. I bought 4 thinking they would help with my cycle. I spent 5 hours one Saturday with a fish trap catching everything in my tank except the damsels. I finally caught 3 of them. there is one more in there and I am ready to get a small line and mini hook to get it out.

Unread 04/16/2014, 08:01 PM   #11
EnderTurtle
BAR - Sponsorships

I saw a yellow tail damsel take a huge chunk out of the fin of a 6-line wrasse. The wrasse swam by the damsel's territory which was a mushroom and he bit the wrasse. I could see the chunk of blue/red fin the damsel spat out of his mouth.

The wrasse was approximately 5 inches long. The damsel was about 1 inch long. They are aggressive fish and I don't have them in my tank.

EnderTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2014, 11:31 AM   #12
invaderzimm
Registered Member

I took the damsel out yesterday. Luckily there were no other fish in the tank because I had to take out everything in my take to get him. They are like lightning. At least he's out now.

Unread 04/17/2014, 11:39 AM   #13
Uncle Salty 05
Registered Member

Good move.
Will your LFS take it?

Current Tank Info: 180 gal reef tank with dual attached refugiums 20 long and 10 gallon. Plus 55 gallon True Percula breeding tank.
Unread 04/17/2014, 11:51 AM   #14
MrTuskfish
Registered Member

If you lost fish to ich and didn't leave your tank fishless for about 12 weeks, you probably still have the ich and can expect the same results.

Steve

Current Tank Info: 180, 2-240 FOWLRs, 240 reef
MrTuskfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2014, 12:30 PM   #15
Uncle Salty 05
Registered Member

Not necessarily.
A healthy, well fed fish can beat an ich infestation. I have seen it happen many times.
If you are a beginner and ich is present in your tank, now might be a good time to leave it fishless and ghost feed for the next 8 weeks.
Then start re-populating the tank.
I know waiting another 8 weeks is not what you want to hear, but it could save you a lot of money and heartache down the road.

Unread 04/17/2014, 02:27 PM   #16
deemos
Registered Member

I made the mistake of buying 5 damsels when i first started this hobby.
They are the worst fish you can ever buy, I hate them....... They stressed my other fish, some even died.

deemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2014, 08:42 PM   #17
happy2reefer
Registered Member

I have 8 damsels, all roughly the same size. My tank is super lively with flashes of blue red and black. Damsels chase each other constantly. They however never chase the dottyback the angel or the blenny. I love them I guess I'm the only one

happy2reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2014, 08:45 PM   #18
happy2reefer
Registered Member

Oh yeah and 2 pink skunk clowns

happy2reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2014, 11:02 AM   #19
undeadmoto
Registered Member

I had a poor experience with damsels but I am finding out it was because of my tank size. I bought green chromie then a neon velvet and they got along fine then I let my wife choose a fish she chose a domino and I even asked the Lfs if this would be safe and they said velvet and dominos should match aggression but watch the chromie two days later my velvet was dead and the domino went back to the Lfs because he was after the chromie

undeadmoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 gallon, cardinal, clown, damsel, new fish